Audiovox Cruise Contro---one more time

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfulcher

Reaction score
Yes its me, again.

Still trying tweeks to get the AVCC to work. I have moved the speed signal to the #1 lead at the ECU and this seems to have helped somewhat. I also shortended the blue lead a lot. It will now hold for 70 plus miles, but only on flat roads, . Still has false releases on climbs after 30 miles of use.

Presently jumper 7 is set to ON for Tach Source Select for a coil connection. This is the standard. Is there any risk to setting switch 7 to off for ECU source? Has anybody tried this? Maybe this will work better since the connection is inches away from the ECU and prior to the coil?

Please note that this is a specific question about the setting of switch 7. I am not asking about any other AVCC issues.

All you can do is try - what's it going to do - not work?

R, I really wish I could get my hands on your bike - planning on visiting the west coast any time soon?

Mine dropped out once in a while on long grades S. of Atlanta last week on a trip to N Ga. The FJR would almost make it to the top before dropping out. My thought was that it was running out of vacuum on the long pulls. I used a inline plastic fuel filter for a storage can along with a vacuum check valve from a GM ac. system. Back home, I put a mityvac hand vacuum pump on the check valve to see if the storage tank system would hold vacuum. It leaked down quickly. I found a leak where I had plugged off the extra line on the fuel filter. I can't test the repair here in flat FL. until I leave for the hills-mountains out west in July. Even if it drops out once in a while, I am still happy with the install, giving my wrist a nice rest.

If the speed varies too far under the set speed, the unit will drop out, by design. It's making the assumption that its input is accomplishing nothing, so maybe something else is wrong. Not a fault in the unit. More vacuum capacity would probably help, because if it was out of vacuum, it has nothing left with which to pull the throttle.

Please note that this is a specific question about the setting of switch 7. I am not asking about any other AVCC issues.

Dammit, class, PAY ATTENTION!

Mine dropped out once in a while on long grades S. of Atlanta last week on a trip to N Ga. The FJR would almost make it to the top before dropping out. My thought was that it was running out of vacuum on the long pulls. I used a inline plastic fuel filter for a storage can along with a vacuum check valve from a GM ac. system. Back home, I put a mityvac hand vacuum pump on the check valve to see if the storage tank system would hold vacuum. It leaked down quickly. I found a leak where I had plugged off the extra line on the fuel filter. I can't test the repair here in flat FL. until I leave for the hills-mountains out west in July. Even if it drops out once in a while, I am still happy with the install, giving my wrist a nice rest.

If the speed varies too far under the set speed, the unit will drop out, by design. It's making the assumption that its input is accomplishing nothing, so maybe something else is wrong. Not a fault in the unit. More vacuum capacity would probably help, because if it was out of vacuum, it has nothing left with which to pull the throttle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was answering his question, not his. Kinda talking in the back of the classroom. I'm sorry, Mr. assistant vice principal, please put the paddle away.

[adolescent whiney mode]

It's his fault anyway! Take the paddle to him!

[/adolescent whiney mode]

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a problem with it dropping out at 70. So do I once in a while. I was trying to help you out with a possibility. Touchy aren't we!!!!!

Hey, I'm just dickin' with ya'll. I was thinking the same thing, but was too afraid to post it.

I asked for specific information and tried to limit the responses because I don't want assistance with problem solving in general. I have been there and done that for over a year. Just do a search on AVCC or Audiovox or even rfulcher and you will understand why I wanted limited answers on a specific subject.

Do any of the electronic guys out there, Ionbeam maybe, know what switch 7 actually does differently when ON vs OFF. I know it is the switch for coil vs ECU but this does not actually tell me anything.

FYI I have tested the AVCC with switch 7 set to OFF (for ECU signal instead of Coil) and it worked on a brief test. It will take a long test on a hot day with hill climbs to see if this has any effect.

Kaitsdad, maybe there is someone with the flaky AVCC syndrome near you on the left coast?