Having A Dealer Perform Work On Your FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Pardon my rant.................

Why is it so frigging difficult to find an honest and competent wrench at a Yamaha (or any other make for that matter) dealership? My apologies to those dealers that have good wrenches, and that do try to do the best that they can, but it sure seems like they are the minority and that when it comes to performing service on our motorcycles, DEALERS SUCK!!!

Recently, I took my dirty ol whore of an FJR in for a valve check. Read about that HERE.

This is a mom-n-pop Yamaha dealership. Just the two of them (Husband and Wife) that work there. Well, when I went to pick it up, she hands me the bill and it's SIX HUNDRED FREAKING DOLLARS!!! Well, I had valve checks done here before that weren't near that expensive. I am staying quiet, trying to control the impulse that wants me to scream at her, "What the Fuck You Bastards!!!" I think I managed something benign like, "Wow, that's not what I was expecting". Well, I start reading the repair order, and I see something about some doo-hickey being repaired. When I ask, she says 'he will be right out to talk to you about it.'

You see, this is where my story gets interesting.

Now let me say this. Ol mom-n-pop, though they can be a PITA to deal with at times, well, he does excellent work. Always has. On ALL my bikes, no matter the brand. Where I used to be 5 miles from his shop. I am now 75 miles. So it's now a major PITA to get my FJR there.

Well, he comes out and begins to tell me what went wrong. :angry2:

Any of you remember back in late July/early August of last year when I had a cam chain replaced? The Iron Butt Rally was quickly approaching so I didn't have time to take it to this mom-n-pop Yammie dealer. So I asked around and eventually took it to Apache Yamaha, a Yamaha 5 Star Certified dealer. Meaning they are supposed to be the cat's meow when it comes to service. I wasn't completely satisfied with the way they performed the repair, but they got it done, and they got it covered under the extended warranty.

Now one thing of concern immediately after the cam chain/tensioner/guides replacement was the new high pitched buzzing sound I was hearing. I go into more detail about the whole Cam Chain repair in THIS POST. Well, the final determination from consultations between the tech and Yamaha corporate technical assistance was that the noise was from the new cam chain mating to the old sprocket.

Turns out, THAT WAS NOT THE FREAKING CASE!!!

This is what pop told me about who had been in my engine previously:

The engine crankcase cover on the right side which accesses the cam chain uses many bolts to secure it to the crankcase, but a couple of them are different sizes. Seems boy-wonder tech from Apache Yamaha used one of the shorter bolts where one of the longer ones was required. So, he ended up stripping some of the female threads in the crankcase for that one spot. Well, did boy-wonder repair it properly with a helicoil, or time-sert? Of course not. Crack mechanic's solution was to use a REALLY long bolt to get it deeper to some still good threads. Well, that did work. Sort of.

You see, what boy-wonder didn't realize was in this specific location the bolt goes straight through the female threaded area in the crankcase. In other words, it's an open threaded hole. Can anybody guess where this is going?

That fucking high pitched buzzing I heard right after cam chain replacement? Well, that was the now too long bolt that boy-wonder used rubbing against the new cam chain!!!

Fuke me! :fuk: :grrr: :madsmiley:

And here, humble readers, are photos of said bolt for your perusal. (Along with the orignal shims from the valve adjustment) Now 30,000 miles after the repair, and worn down enough from the cam chain that at least it no longer makes any noise.

144kValveAdjustment4-1.jpg

144kValveAdjustment2.jpg

Well, pop properly repaired stripped crankcase threads with a time-sert, and then used the right sized bolt. That is primarily where the extra cost came from above a typcial 'valve adjustment'.

I asked, and Pop said who knows if the bolt rubbing against the new chain weakend the chain at all. He said the chain is pretty solid, so there's a good chance it didn't damage it. Interestingly, he told me that more than likely the original chain wasn't stretched at all, but it was just a bad cam chain tensioner on the original problem - which is what I had always thought the problem to be. No doubt he would have measured the old cam chain and determined that one way or another. Not just guess and replace everything like the *bad place* did.

So here's an extremy high recommendation for The Cycle Center - the small mom-n-pop Yamaha dealership in Casa Grande, Arizona. Quality work done here. Word.

As for Apache Yamaha in Phoenix........not such good things to say. And I will be contacting Yamaha about this. I won't go into all of the other details of how they disappointed me on this repair, but I will add that my FJR was returned with a minor scratch/rub on the right headlight and right fairing. Normally I would have raised hell about that, but since the FJR had 110,000 on the clock and can no longer be considered 'fresh' I didn't say anything. I needed the FJR back ASAP as I was leaving for the IBR in a matter of days.

Asshats!

So why is it so difficult to find competent work from an authorized Yamaha dealership? Even a 5 Star certified one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn good question Skoot!

BTW, I would ask Pop to replace the cam chain. $18 part. No way would I risk it, no way!

I hear ya

Well, I look on the bright side, you found an honest one who you can trust that is relatively close...That is priceless.

Gotta give props to the Cycle Center too. They're the only ones who have worked on my bike other than myself, and thats the way it'll remain until the owner decides to hang up his hat and retire. For me they're about 50 miles away, but thats a small price to pay for a competent wrench in my opinion.

This is a very timely post Skoot, and I have experienced the same kind of major disappointment in the service level by "authorized" Yama dealers here in the US, starting from when i picked up the bike only to find a big, deep scratch on the side case, a stripped plastic screw retaining the screen and locks missing from the side bags (took them a week to find them).

My '07 is now at around 21k mi and I am horrified at the thought of giving it over to a Yama dealer to do the major service and soon the valve adjustment. I've done a number of the simpler maintenance jobs myself but i don't feel confident in doing the more complex jobs not being a professional.

I still remember how last August before departing from San Diego (after the 50CC) i stopped of at a big Yama dealer to get the engine & shaft oil changed. Well about 100 mi into my return trip somewhere in the middle of the desert i stopped as a one pump gas station to top up only to find oil spray all over my rear wheel, and the shaft drive filler bolt holding on by a few threads, lucky for me they had some gear oil i could scrounge and the bolt was still in there. It was around 115F or more and nothing but empty road up ahead and night approaching, not a good place to get stranded because of a stupid fuck up by a careless wrench who couldn't be bothered to double check his work, even on such a simple job.

Maybe any folks here who know a capable and trusted mechanic/shop could post up their details, it would be good to have such a list available, maybe even referenced in the Bin-O-Facts?

With any luck more of us may be able to take our bikes to a decent/real mechanic at least for the bigger jobs, even if it means a hike to get there.

So - how's the real estate market in Casa Grande?
I might hafta move -
Gunny!!!

My sentiments exactly kaitsdad. I grew so tired of the over-paid oil changers around that I'd much rather fumble and bumble it myself.

Sounds like SkooterG has found a solid wrench with "Pop".

Skoot - That is most assuredly an YGTBSM!!??!!

I'm surprised "boy wonder" didn't fill the hole with JB Weld and stick the short screw in.

Dealers are cheapskates who will insist that having trained and educated wrenches is an unnecessary load on the bottom line. Besides, turnover is so high in the shop, how could they possibly afford to send all those guys to school so they can take their trained asses to somebody else, or work for themselves?

Probably hasn't occurred to them that wrench morale is so low nobody wants to work there after the first few weeks of bluffing their way through spark plug changes and wheel mounting.

If they actually have to do something under the fairing, then if it runs when they're finished and the leftover parts are removed from sight, then they're done. Happy. All is well.

(That sentence structure sucks, being a nested conditional, but I think you get my drift.)

Maybe any folks here who know a capable and trusted mechanic/shop could post up their details, it would be good to have such a list available, maybe even referenced in the Bin-O-Facts?With any luck more of us may be able to take our bikes to a decent/real mechanic at least for the bigger jobs, even if it means a hike to get there.

You're kidding, right?

Please tell me you're kidding. If you aren't kidding, please take some time to further familiarize yourself with the board.

Maybe any folks here who know a capable and trusted mechanic/shop could post up their details, it would be good to have such a list available, maybe even referenced in the Bin-O-Facts?With any luck more of us may be able to take our bikes to a decent/real mechanic at least for the bigger jobs, even if it means a hike to get there.

You're kidding, right?

Please tell me you're kidding. If you aren't kidding, please take some time to further familiarize yourself with the board.
You and I did the forehead slap at the same time. :rolleyes:

+1 JamesK. Iggy, I see you're reading this thread now, is there any way to pin a dealer/wrench listing? It's hard enough for those of us who don't have either the knowledge or skills to do the work ourselves, but is even more frustrating not knowing who to go to. Thanks to everyone on this forum who have helped me find Razee Cycle in North Kingstown, RI. It was one hell of a jaunt, but definitely worth the trip IMHO.

You're kidding, right?

Sorry, slapnpop i don't get your point. I was however, completely serious about my suggestion. I would not think twice about riding 300+ mi if it meant getting a major service performed by a good mechanic, who would return the bike in better condition than he got it.

+1 JamesK. Iggy, I see you're reading this thread now, is there any way to pin a dealer/wrench listing? It's hard enough for those of us who don't have either the knowledge or skills to do the work ourselves, but is even more frustrating not knowing who to go to. Thanks to everyone on this forum who have helped me find Razee Cycle in North Kingstown, RI. It was one hell of a jaunt, but definitely worth the trip IMHO.
Double D'oh - slap to the forehead...

:p

:huh:

You're kidding, right?

Please tell me you're kidding. If you aren't kidding, [SIZE=24pt]please take some time to further familiarize yourself with the board[/SIZE].
Sorry, slapnpop i don't get your point. I was however, completely serious about my suggestion. I would not think twice about riding 300+ mi if it meant getting a major service performed by a good mechanic, who would return the bike in better condition than he got it.
:)

You're kidding, right?

Alright, I'll toss you a rope....

You might want to check this section out called Dealer & Vendor Feedback....

Alright, I'll toss you a rope....
You might want to check this section out called Dealer & Vendor Feedback....
Thanks guys, I've looked through Dealer & Vendor Feedback.... before of course, but that was when looking for farkle related info. I guess in my mind mechanical bike service was just in a completely different class... I'll dig around again to see if i can find any good mechanics within a reasonable distance.

So why is it so difficult to find competent work from an authorized Yamaha dealership? Even a 5 Star certified one?
Very sorry to hear of your mishap. OTOH, be VERY grateful to have Pop. Here in the snowbelt, the vast majority of the mechanics are "seasonal" employees. Which means you're quite lucky to get your new scoot assembled correctly from the crate, and you can forget about proper repairs altogether. Ain't gonna happen unless you do it yourself.

The last 3 new bikes I bought have all had serious assembly defects that resulted in a variety of annoying problems. We're talking 3 different dealers here, and each one repeated the "they're all that way" mantra.

75 miles? A bugger, and an inconvenience. But better than having no one but yourself to turn to. If I were you, I'd bring Pop something nice on your next visit. The very idea that Pop would tell the truth and admit another dealer's mistake - unfathomable around these parts.

Hope things go better for you in the future.