Weight has been lifted, but

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCMike

Reaction score
I just picked up my '08 from the break-in service. Now I don't have to baby the bike anymore. :yahoo:

Since it was in the shop I asked them to move the bars to the forward position, no big deal, I just wanted to try it out. When I checked out the invoice, it said bars can not be moved to the forward position. I talked to the guy who worked on it, and he says it can't be done because the suspension clickers are in the way. He called into Yamaha, but hadn't heard back about how to resolve the issue. :telephone:

Anyone else had any issues with this, or is the mechanic cracked? :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
I move my bars between the forward and middle position all the time depending on what kind of riding I'm doing. Forward feels more in control (commute and short rides) middle is easier on the back for longer rides.

Very easy and no problems at all.

Without hearing what position your bars started in, I would offer an idea from another thread. While setting the suspension on my bike, I discovered the 'clickers' were all the way out at 30+ clicks. When I set them up to the factory specifications, I was impressed how far they had stuck out. This may be a thing to check-the suspension settings from the factory/dealer. But I could be an idiot.

:yahoo:
Since i was in the shop I asked them to try the forward position, no big deal, I just wanted to try it out. and he says it can't be done because the clickers are in the way.

Anyone else had any issues with my penis or is the mechanic cracked? :wacko:
What the hell you say?????

Hit penthouse dude!

:jester:

Before I get into tearing the bars apart, does anyone know what the default position is from the factory??

Supposed to be middle position.
The default position is indeed in the middle. The only 'trick' is to make sure you loosen both handle bars sufficeintly to clear the positioning pins at the same time. Then move the bars forward or backwards in parallel and seat them back on the pins. Cables and wires will move just fine and no other adjustment necessary.

Before I get into tearing the bars apart, does anyone know what the default position is from the factory??

Supposed to be middle position.
The default position is indeed in the middle. The only 'trick' is to make sure you loosen both handle bars sufficeintly to clear the positioning pins at the same time. Then move the bars forward or backwards in parallel and seat them back on the pins. Cables and wires will move just fine and no other adjustment necessary.
Both bars together.... took for freekin ever to figure this out on my own. they move easy together,,,, one at a time,,, not so much.

Doesn't it just figure that 3 hours after I struggled with moving my bars one at a time, I read in Forum that the trick is both at the same time. Timing is everything. Turns out, after struggling for about 15 minutes, I loosened the other bar just to see if it would move easier and lo and behold, they both fell right into place. Who'd a thunk it?

Doesn't it just figure that 3 hours after I struggled with moving my bars one at a time, I read in Forum that the trick is both at the same time. Timing is everything. Turns out, after struggling for about 15 minutes, I loosened the other bar just to see if it would move easier and lo and behold, they both fell right into place. Who'd a thunk it?
You wanna' come show my Yamaha mechanic how you did that? He's supposed to be a pro, and he couldn't figure it out. :rolleyes:

I'll give it a whirl myself one of these days.