4000 mile service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riderjohn

Reaction score
I'm coming up on 4000 miles and can do all the things required myself and will. But, if I had my choice, I'd rather skip the 4000 mile gap check on the spark plugs and just replace them at 8k. The bike runs perfect. What's the point of checking the plugs? What has the forum found out on the 4,000 mile plug check?

I have read the Bin O Facts on it. It doesn't look extremely difficult but it is 106 here today so give me a break for not just wanting to do it.

Don't look to the forum for absolution. We can't change what Yamaha has said.

It's just that most of us think that one is a bit anal and we haven't heard of any gaps being out at 4K. And we've found the Iridiums seems to last longer and 8K a great time to put them in.

I took my plugs out at 18K for the first time a they looked like new.

Some folks will say something about internal resistance building over time but I have seen nothing to prove it, that, plus the fact that plugs last in cars for much longer and I see no difference in application.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that if the plugs weren't changed every 8K the dealers would never see these bikes?

Just my .02

[Thanks S76, it's very encouraging to hear your comments. I really don't want to go through lifting up the tank and all of that if the odds are in my favor to skip it. The bike runs so flawless that my theory is not to mess with things when they are running so well.

I'm coming up on 4000 miles and can do all the things required myself and will. But, if I had my choice, I'd rather skip the 4000 mile gap check on the spark plugs and just replace them at 8k. The bike runs perfect. What's the point of checking the plugs? What has the forum found out on the 4,000 mile plug check?
I have read the Bin O Facts on it. It doesn't look extremely difficult but it is 106 here today so give me a break for not just wanting to do it.
I changed mine at 8K miles, don't know why because the bike was running perfect. I now have 7K on the new plugs and it is still running perfect, I think I will just wait awhile until I change them again. I agree, why change when the bike is running perfect. It would be different if something really really bad was going to happen but at the worst the bike will start running poorly. Plenty of time to realize it and change them when you want , not when some dealer says you should.

My 02

Mac

I didn't touch them at 4k, but I did replace them at 8k. I've seen dirtier plugs. I could have skipped the change at 8k, but I'm attempting to follow the book...somewhat :)

why wait for something bad to happen? Deal with the plugs. It's not difficult and you might enjoy it. :yahoo:

my two cents

BBQ

I too replaced my plugs for the first time at 16+k, the new plugs are Iridium.

I do not believe however, that i would have been able to tell the difference in performance if i didn't know that the plugs had been changed, the old plugs where still so functional...

I recently replaced mine. I think it was at about 13K. I replaced them because it there was a slight miss while the engine was warming up. New plugs fixed it.

If you listen to your engine, it will tell you when to replace them.

Just my worthless opinion, but you have 4,000 on an 08. That means your bike does not sit around being polished.

The Yamaha recommendation to check them at 4k probably has as much to do with-

A. Good practice check for something major going wrong in a new engine cylinder.

B. Assumption that some people may take a year or more to accumulate 4,000 miles.

I would go ahead and buy the Iridium plugs and some anti-seize, have it on hand for 8k, and ride my ass off for another two months.

:)

I replaced the original plugs at 32,000 (plugs looked good) on my 04 with iridiums. They're still in at 66,000, performance & mileage still good. Don't some cars suggest plugs are good for 100,000 miles? Ian, Iowa

My experience is that the factory plugs will do 8k easy. I have since changed to iridiums and with changes every 12k. If it ain't broke, don't fubar it.

Changed mine to iridium at 3k. Just pulled them out at 18k: they were absolutely perfect. Since they were out & I had new ones on hand, I put the new ones in anyway. Gonna run these at least 20k.

In my previous 2 bikes I changed plugs every 60K miles, whether they needed it or not. I never saw any change in performance (mpg would be a good measure).

You have to service these things.................damm :yahoo: I've got about 7800 on mine now and have no plans on doing anything to it for some time (other than oil). I put 40,000 on my ST1100 and only changed the plugs once, air filter once, and checked the valves once (no adjustment needed). The original brake pads were still in spec, put 40K on a 1800 Goldwing and same thing...saw the dealer once.

Gary

Replaced my stock plugs at 16k at the same time as some other maintenance (TB sync). They looked just fine when pulled.

I replaced them with the same plugs (non iridium) because I'd already bought them and since the tank was already up...

I'm figuring I'll change them again at another 16k.

I'm thinking that anyone that finds their plugs are gooked up has some problem other than the spark plugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced them because it there was a slight miss while the engine was warming up. New plugs fixed it.

My bike is just comming up on 8k. Mine has had that same miss while warming up since day one! I just thought it was normal. I guess I'll be changing my plugs this week.

Over 19,000 miles with original plugs. No problems here. No change in gas mileage or missing.