Rough Running at Low RPMs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddog

Reaction score
My FJR was in for its 76,000 mile valve check and the valves were adjusted by the dealer. The bike ran perfectly when I dropped it off and now it runs like crap. Specifically at low engine speeds (vehicle speed is irrelevant) the engine has little power and runs rough. It feels like it is going to stall (it hasn't yet) but if I increase RPMs it will run okay. Once past about 4000 RPM it pulls fine and I don't really notice too much difference from before.

As an example of the problem might help illustrate what I'm talking about; in the parking structure where I work I routinely let the engine idle with the clutch out to ride around inside the parking structure. Under these conditions the bike would run smoothly. Today when I tried this the engine was surging so bad the bike was literally bucking. I had to slip the clutch and give it more gas, and even then it was still running rough.

One other symptom was while traveling about 80 MPH on the freeway in fifth gear, if I let off of the gas completely the engine would begin surging and the bike would buck.

Today I'm going to do a tune-up (I didn't have the dealer do it - I was quoted $220 for an oil change and TBS!). I'm hoping it might be a vacuum leak or something else simple. Any other ideas about what I should look for?

No, I don't really want to take it back to the dealer if I can help it, but if I can't fix it, I will. Thanks

Larry

wow sounds like the stealer messed something up

they must be told about your problem that showed up after the service ...

give them the chance to prove to you and us that they are NOT a stealer.

wow sounds like the stealer messed something up they must be told about your problem that showed up after the service ...

give them the chance to prove to you and us that they are NOT a stealer.
I will be taking the bike back to them tomorrow but I was hoping it was something simple, like a loose vacuum hose that I could fix. No such luck; I checked it over tonight and did a TBS but it didn't help. They are supposed to be a very reputable dealer. We shall see.

Got the bike back today from the dealer. They said it was a combination of an improperly adjusted TPS and the O2 sensor shorting out on the frame.

The bike nows runs smoother than it ever has.

Sure, Sure it was...TPS...o2 sensor... what about that so-called mechanic on the grassy knoll? Huh?

Seriously, Glad it was fixed easily and I hope it was inexpensive too.

Blessings,

Bobby