Gen II Upper Fairing Removal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3870

Reaction score
The other day my buddy backed out of his garage and right into my 07! I walked out just in time to see it rolling upright down the driveway. After my brain caught up with my eyes it was too late to catch the thing. Skyway's sliders did their job, plus most of the bike landed in the grass but the right mirror and both left and right upper fairings were damaged.

My bud replaced the damaged parts but for the life of me, I can't figure out an easy process to remove/replace the upper fairings. Anybody done this? I did a search and found very limited info, and only on Gen I models but nothing that helps me.

Any help would be appreciated!

There are a lot of pieces that need to be removed before removing the front cowling.

I strongly recommend buying a copy of the Service Manual.

The "upper fairings" are actually removed as an assembly called the “front cowling”. It's held to the cowling stay with four phillips head screws. The holes in the cowling stay have rubber bushings / vibration dampeners. After you have all of the requisite pieces removed, and you have the four phillips screws removed, it's still going to feel like there is more holding it on.

It's only after a lot of gentle coaxing that you'll be able to tip the front cowling assembly (headlights and all) forward and then off the bike.

Once you have the front cowling off, turn it upside down on a soft towel. You will then have access to the screws holding the "upper cowling".

Good luck.

Definitely get the manual and go over the process described 4 or 5 times before you try to take anything off. It is a royal PITA to do.

Also, those little black pins...there is a trick, just poke the center in about 1/4" and then you can pull them out by the collar...Don't ask how many I had to replace before I figured that out... :glare:

Also, those little black pins...there is a trick, just poke the center in about 1/4" and then you can pull them out by the collar...Don't ask how many I had to replace before I figured that out... :glare:

Thanks for that info, as I've been sort of ripping them out, guts-first.

I have a gen 1, but this might be helpful:

I think the piece that is difficult to remove is the front cowling, not the upper fairings. I replaced the left upper on my '05 and it required the lower fairing to come off, the dash panels, the mirror, and the wiring harness for the glove box. There are a couple of bolts in the lower front corner that were hard to see and difficult to get a wrench on. Just lookk very carefully at what is holding things together and don't force anything. Again, I'm talking about a gen 1, but there is a tab on the bottom front corner that hooks into the center cowling, so don't break that off.

Also, there is a clip that holds the wiring for the directional which is stuck on the upper with a double sided sticky pad so you'll need to deal with that. The glove box and a bunch of those threaded clip type nuts come off the old piece and attach to the new one before you re-install.

I guess it is time to invest in a service manual. We have two 07's in the family so I will split the cost with my other half...

I guess it is time to invest in a service manual. We have two 07's in the family so I will split the cost with my other half...
You can get the official manual from the Yamaha website for about $90. I got one 2 weeks ago and got it in a couple of days from LA.

The local dealer wanted $125

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get the official manual from the Yamaha website for about $90. I got one 2 weeks ago and got it in a couple of days from LA.

Ouch. Local dealer here said list was $61. He'd already quoted me $53 so I got it for that. Also said they are printed by a third party "on demand". FWIW.

Ouch. Local dealer here said list was $61. He'd already quoted me $53 so I got it for that. Also said they are printed by a third party "on demand". FWIW.
Looks like I'd better move to Vancouver! Whoops it rains there (having lived in Portland, OR for 12 years)

Only if you want to support piracy and theft of intellectual property. And maybe get an incomplete or smudged scan. Yamaha is the only source for real manuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've taken my fairings off my new 07 about 6 times trying to fix a problem. The first time seems daunting but it really is simple after you've done it a few times. If you pm me I'll send you a pdf that someone here sent me that gave me guidance.

I advice you to get plastic freezer bags. Then as you disassemble each section of the bike (right upper fairing, left lower fairing, cowl, dash, etc) you separate the fasteners/screws in a bag and use a permanent marker to note what the are to be attached to. Also, some of the screws have plastic washers that are easily misplaced.

The only difficult part of me was taking off the stuff to undo the headlight-adjustment cable. I stripped the screw-head which left me to undoing the cable from the rear.

As some here have wisely instructed me, if something is not coming off cuz it feels "stuck", it's probably due to something still attached.

The other day my buddy backed out of his garage and right into my 07! I walked out just in time to see it rolling upright down the driveway. After my brain caught up with my eyes it was too late to catch the thing. Skyway's sliders did their job, plus most of the bike landed in the grass but the right mirror and both left and right upper fairings were damaged.
My bud replaced the damaged parts but for the life of me, I can't figure out an easy process to remove/replace the upper fairings. Anybody done this? I did a search and found very limited info, and only on Gen I models but nothing that helps me.

Any help would be appreciated!

Check this one. You may find answer to your question

https://www.ifourwinns.com/TechBull%2017MPG%20M2006-010.pdf