No temp plate in Alabama, now what?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctfjr

Reaction score
Next Friday I fly downfrom Connecticut to D&H to pick up my new FJR. I just found out that they do not have temporary plates. . . What have others done ???

Next Friday I fly downfrom Connecticut to D&H to pick up my new FJR. I just found out that they do not have temporary plates. . . What have others done ???
You can probably get a temp plate from your home state if you have the details of the machine like VIN number etc and a copy of the bill of sale. I know that's how we do it here in NH.

Otherwise, just slap a plate on it and ride it home. You get caught, you'll pay a fine.

Make sure that you insure it though. The potential "fine" there is bigger.

Most states I have lived in allow using your existing plate and registration to put on the new bike and ride it back home and allow 30 to 45 days to transfer the registration to the new bike. Of course, this assumes the new bike is a replacement for the old one. Staes that do not have temp tags normally allow you to drive the new vehicle for some period using only the new purchase documents.

Ed Lee

Fred W is on the right track. Call or better yet, go to your Department of Motor Vehicles (or what ever your state calls it) and ask someone. In fact, be prepared to ask more than one person, you are asking a question in an area that not every state drone may be experienced in. Being there in person makes it harder for them to blow you off, plus you can get any forms you may need at the same time. If your paper work is ok in your home state you shouldn't have serious problems in other states, unless you have really done something to provoke them ;)

I know that in some states such as Massachusetts your vehicle will be towed if there are title/plate/registration problems. You don’t want them to do that with your new FJR!

Last edited by a moderator:
I DISAGREE!!!

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you DO NOT put another plate on it.

Laws vary by state, but a ticket for no registration is a simple, typically $50 non-moving (doesn't go against driving record) citation.

While having the WRONG plate on a vehicle can be a misdemeanor with a much higher penalty. Can be several hundred $$$ and they may impound the plate. It can be viewed by the written law, and LEOs as trying to be deceptive.

Now, I personally wouldn't worry about not having any kind of temporary registration on the new FJR. They key is, if stopped, be able to produce the title and bill of sale, and explain the situation. As long as it's only been a few days to a week or so, ALMOST ALL LEOs will be understanding to why you don't have any registration. They just want to make sure it's not stolen.

I DISAGREE!!!

Laws vary by state, but a ticket for no registration is a simple, typically $50 non-moving (doesn't go against driving record) citation.

While having the WRONG plate on a vehicle can be a misdemeanor with a much higher penalty. Can be several hundred $$$ and they may impound the plate. It can be viewed by the written law, and LEOs as trying to be deceptive.

Now, I personally wouldn't worry about not having any kind of temporary registration on the new FJR. They key is, if stopped, be able to produce the title and bill of sale, and explain the situation. As long as it's only been a few days to a week or so, ALMOST ALL LEOs will be understanding to why you don't have any registration. They just want to make sure it's not stolen.
Ditto what he said. DO NOT put a ficticious license plate on your bike. If you get stopped, your chances of your bike getting towed due to the fake plate are huge. I guess I don't understand, but is D&H out of temp plates, or does Alabama not issue them? I guess either way, have the dealer write you a letter stating the issue. Keep that and all your sales paperwork with you and if you get stopped, show what you got. I would bet your problems would be minimal. Someone also mentioned insurance. Just to help with the good-faith issue, you might wanna have that printed out before you leave so it's easier to prove you are not pulling the cop's leg. I would bet you make it all the way home and never get pulled over, but there's always the chance.

I DISAGREE!!!

+1,000

When I bought mine in Wyoming and rode it back to Chicago, I left the plate off and made sure I had bill of sale,title and insurance in the top pocket of my tankbag. It's a lot easier to explain that, as opposed to why the VIN doesn't match the plate or you. Plus, you don't have to pay tolls on the way ;)

Thanks for all the input from everyone. Yes, I agree that putting another plate on probably lowers the possibility of me being stopped at all (unless the leo figures out what AUWING is) but the risk of getting nailed for improper use of a plate is not worth it on the old risk / reward scale. I have already called the CT dmv but this being a holiday weekend they closed at 12 and don't open till Tuesday. I tried the automated telephone help and their website but nothing seems to fit.

The problem as I see it it I don't have any original docs to take to my dmv beforehand showing that it belongs to me (it doesn't at this point). If I knew about this earlier in the week I could have overnighted a check to them & they could have overnighted the docs to me. . . oh well. To answer one of the posters question, apparently Alabama has no temp plates. On the copy of the bill of sale they faxed me it says something about 20 days to register it. I'm hoping they have something to hang on the back that says "New Vehicle" or words to that effect. I'll carry all paperwork with me.

Hey I got my first farkle in so I can't be in anything but a good mood (stem nut mount for my gps).

Thanks again

I bought mine at D&H as well and rode it back to Houston. I did not put a plate on it. There was no way to do it. A state does not give temp tags to individuals, they issue them to dealers. Can't exactly get a tag from a dealer that you are not buying it from. Just keep you paperwork with you.

By the way, I bought my Corvette from a Houston dealer, and did the museum delivery from Kentucky. The dealer in Houston did give me a temp tag, but it got wet from the rain so I took it off and threw it in the back of the car (not visible). I did get stopped for speeding in Arkansas, and the guy didn't even care that I did not have a tag on the car. Heck, he only gave me a warning for 15 over the limit (the limit was only 55) because he "didn't want to ruin my trip home". He was a great guy!

When I bought my 02 V-Strom last year in SC from a private party, I rode it back to Texas with the previous owner's plates. Got stopped north of Abilene for going a little too fast and the officer checked the transfered title for proper signatures as well as the plate. Let me off with a warning and no problems with the plate. I mailed the old plate back to SC when I applied for a new title.

I bought mine at D&H as well and rode it back to Houston. I did not put a plate on it. There was no way to do it. A state does not give temp tags to individuals, they issue them to dealers. Can't exactly get a tag from a dealer that you are not buying it from. Just keep you paperwork with you.
No. Some states most certainly DO give temp plates to individuals. As I previously mentioned you need to provide the appropriate documents and they give you a 21 day (or whatever) temp plate. Other states do not. Loooks like CT (the OPs state) does. $20 for 10 days. BTW, took me 10 seconds on Google to find that.

So... what happens when one drives thru a state that DOES give temp plate and they have naught. One gets pulled over is what happens. Do LEOs in all jurisdictions "give you a break" or "cut you some slack" or "act even somewhat understanding" of the situation. Don't bet on it. It may even matter where we are talking about. Maybe the laid back LEO dudes on the left coast would cut you some slack. But I'm here to tell ya the donut chompin' coffee inhalin' Staties of the northeast do NOT have that in their SOPs.

If you had a wrong plate on your bike the likelihood of being pulled over, assuming you aren't actually breaking the law (hey, your breaking the damn thing in here...) is very, very low. If you did you could just as easily argue the "my state says you can ride your new bike home on your old plate" line as the "hey, I just bought it cut me some slack" one.

Now, take the plate off. Your odds are about 1 in 2 that you'll get pulled over by every LEO you pass. Why? Because unregistered, unlicensed and uninsured motorcycle riders are quite common. If you have insurance, a license and the reg for another bike you own(ed) you are way ahead of the game.

Best bet is (obviously) to get a temp plate.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. Yes, I agree that putting another plate on probably lowers the possibility of me being stopped at all (unless the leo figures out what AUWING is) but the risk of getting nailed for improper use of a plate is not worth it on the old risk / reward scale. I have already called the CT dmv but this being a holiday weekend they closed at 12 and don't open till Tuesday. I tried the automated telephone help and their website but nothing seems to fit.
The problem as I see it it I don't have any original docs to take to my dmv beforehand showing that it belongs to me (it doesn't at this point). If I knew about this earlier in the week I could have overnighted a check to them & they could have overnighted the docs to me. . . oh well. To answer one of the posters question, apparently Alabama has no temp plates. On the copy of the bill of sale they faxed me it says something about 20 days to register it. I'm hoping they have something to hang on the back that says "New Vehicle" or words to that effect. I'll carry all paperwork with me.

Hey I got my first farkle in so I can't be in anything but a good mood (stem nut mount for my gps).

Thanks again
Seems to me that statement on the bill of sell covers it, The bill of sale covers the first 20 days, and states reciprocity takes care of crossing state lines.

It depends on your (Connecticut) State Law. Being from NY, I checked with NYSDMV prior to my trip and New York claims they adhere to the laws of the State in which you purchase the vehicle. Therefore, was allowed to ride back from Alabama and get the bike registered, plated and inspected within the 20 day grace period. Of course, I insured the bike prior to the trip. I had a few LEOs cruise alongside and pass me during my ride back to NY without a plate on the bike and was not stopped once.

Enjoy the trip and say hello to the gang at D&H for me.

Dan

Yeah, the fine in NE for "recycling" license plates is huge and it's less to not have a tag :)

Make sure you have something from your insurance provider too about existing coverage (if you have a bike already) or a temp fax from your insurance company stating the coverage you have for the new bike. LEOs here will ask for proof of insurance with the license and registration. Although it would be a significant detour for you; that's what it would take to get through NE :D

Oh, and ENJOY THE HELL OUT OF THE NEW RIDE!!!!

I was gonna say this earlier and forgot: but how about making a copy of your bill-o-sale, putting it in a zip-loc bag and attaching it to your bike where your plate goes. With paperwork there, you chances of getting pulled over are much less than if the plate area is totally empty. Just don't leave your bike alone too long with that there. Some sleaze bag 'could' steal it, but unlikely.

I bought one from D&H and rode it home with the paperwork Jerrol provided, no questions asked. I went through 7 states and 3 canadian provinces, customs into Canada and US customs into Alaska. We had 2 bikes, neither had plates and no problems. The only comment was from a lady at a stoplight in Anchorage telling us that the plate was missing.

Check with your insurance, They will usually cover you for a few days until you get the bike licensed. Check with your DMV for your comfort and enjoy the ride home. :yahoo: