Wrecked 08 going uphill--throttle response or FI? Tankslapper

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCB

Reaction score
I need some help after my first crash! Can't figure out what went wrong.

First, I did a search on the forum and used Google as well but found nothing to describe the problem I had last Thursday. Bottom line--my 08 with 2,800 miles on it just seemed to take off during normal first gear roll-on while turning right at a slight uphill grade resulting in being thrown from bike.

I can't explain what happened in logical terms. I commute 80 miles a day to the tune of 11,000 or 12,000 miles per year. I have looged miles over much of Europe and the US including all kinds of weather and road conditions. Just switched to FJR (2,800 miles) after many years on BMW 1150 RT.

This was a clear and cool morning in northern Virginia. I backed the bike out of the garage and got the rear tire wet in one small spot from the dew on the grass. I pulled away normally and went about 200 feet to a stop sign. I rolled into the gas from the stop sign (uphill and to the right) just as I have done many times before and the bike felt like it was just going to fall over (immedately). I recall giving it a little gas then I recall it reving extremely high and "crossing up" which I would describe as maybe a tank slap with the bars jumping to the left. My left hand is the size of a baseball and has this nice circular bruise all the way around the thumb and index finger (inside and out) suggesting the bar did kick back pretty good. Next image I have is coming off the bike (came off the back and to the left) as it pitched from the right to the left. The bike landed on its left side facing the opposite (downhill) direction and I ended up above the bike facing uphill.

My first thought was that I just caught the small wet area on the tire causing it to slip (the initial feeling I had) and then I added to the problem and loss of traction by adding throttle. But I can't for the life of me believe that I grabbed a wrist full of throttle that left a black streak about 8 feet long! All this occured within 30 feet of the stop sign. I also can't believe that a small damp spot on my tire would cause this kind of traction loss--been in too many wet situations with no issues for that to be the case.

Did I just experience a "normal off" and maybe hung onto the throttle as I was coming off causing it to rev? Could this have been one of those well documented FI "stumbles" and resulting surge? Is there any computer on the bike that would have recorded an error in the bikes systems if there was an issue (like on cars)?

RESULTS: Me--Fractured elbow, brusied right ribs (upper), left forearm rash, left thumb swollen. Wearing full jacket and pants with armour in both (Aerostich and Dainese), gloves and Shoei....thank God! Bike--everything on the left side is scratched and left bag and footpeg are broken clean off. Bag collapsed into muffler denting it as well.

Thanks in advance for any insights you may have.

BCB

Sorry to hear about your get-off. Especially on a new bike. Can't offer any insights other than I've never had any kind of surge on my '05.

Bummer on the get off.

I've been lucky so far.

With the low mileage that would mean original tires yet and I would assume that the traction isn't near as good as the Avons, Pilots, or the Dunlop Roadsmarts which could have contributed to the fall.

Just the humidity in the air that morning could have some effect on traction..

I'm guessing that it was a combination of effects and one big expensive life lesson.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 06 and while working on the bike in the garage (I am not sure what I was working on some farkle) I stated the bike and it reved up to 8 or 9 thousand RPM I hit the kill switch and shut it down. I checked the throttle and all was good started it and it idled just like nothing happened. That was 18 months ago and nothing like it has happened since. Sorry to hear about your get off and I hope you heal fast.

Scott

I couldn't possibly know for sure, but from your description it sounds like a combination of cold tires, at least some water, moderate to significant lean angle (You said the bike felt like it was falling over), and because of all of those factors there wasn't enough traction left to deal with that amount of throttle. Everything else was the effect (crossed handlebars, ejection, etc.) that came after the cause (loss of traction). This kind of accident and the forceful ejection you experienced is typically known as a "high side". The bike slides but doesn't go completely over into a low side, and then the back end snaps into line behind the front wheel with violent force as it regains traction, kind of like being on the end of a bull whip. You are thrown from the high side of the bike, so to speak.

Having ridden BMW's for years ('00 RT, '02 RT, '04 GS, '07 RT, airheads, F650's, K's) I can tell you from experience there are significant differences in the amount of power as well as the manner in which it is delivered. It is impossible for any of us to know how much throttle you gave the bike, but I have no doubt the FJR engine has more than enough power to spin the rear wheel right out from under the bike in a 1st or 2nd gear low speed turn.

When you are able, in addition to having the bike cosmetically repaired you might want to have it thoroughly checked out to make sure there weren't any mechanical issues at play, or any mechanical damage from the accident.

Sorry about the situation, I hope you heal fast.

Damn that sounds scary. I hope you get healed up fast. Sorry to hear about the bike. Haven't had any issues with the throttle response on my 08. Do you have any add ons that might have come into play? Throttle lock, cruise control, cramp buster? Otherwise one wonders if traction or the lack there of might have played a big role in your get off. Get better soon.

Sounds like a wet tire at slow speed with too much lean. I get the same feeling sometimes going over large painted road section like crosswalks, when it's a little wet out. I've learned to take it slower and more upright than you think it should be.

METZLERS SUCK! :angry2:

At least that would be my guess. I had to baby Betty pretty good this weekend in the rain due to the total lack of traction of the stock tires. Yes, I can believe that a quick application of throttle can result in 8 feet of skidmarks and the conditions you describe sound PERFECT for those crappy tires, possibly wet in one spot (that is all it needs to break loose) and cold to boot! :dribble:

Sorry to hear of the get-off. That sucks no matter how many miles you have on the bike, but even worse when it is new.

JMHO! :glare:

Like Bueller said, it was probably a combination of cold tires and some wetness still on the radius of the tire. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago.

I am now paranoid about cold tires and getting anything on them in the A.M. I have modified my route slightly in the mornings so that I ride about a mile on a straight road and can subltly weave back and forth to get some temp into my tires before I begin.

Be sure to heal soon. How about throttle cable play? If the bike revved while you were turning the bars it might have been a sign that the throttle cable wasn't adjusted or somehow was in a bind. Any chance you added handle bar risers recently or anything of that nature?

Really sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds like a panic-filled instant that will take some time to recover from.

Ideas:

Loss of traction?

Pinched throttle cable housing?

Loose strand in the throttle cable?

Binding & rlease anywhere else in the throttle assembly?

Your perception and response?

Combination of loose hand on the throttle and momentary loss of traction or anything else, so that as you try to grab the throttle with the butt coming out to the left, your hand puts more tension on the top of the right grip?

Bottom line is that unfortunately there's really not enough here to work with.

Check the bike and heal fast.

Bob

Sorry to hear that happened to you it seems rather violent and seems like it could have been much worse based on your injuries, glad it was not worse for you, those are some big knocks for just starting out on the ride. Sorry about the bike as well....

other than, it is possible you snatched the throttle as you started to fall, I have no idea what might have happened. It could very well have been that low speed surge; that has happened to many on this board prior to doing the Bar. mod; and a wet tire.......Never riden an 08 have no idea what yours feel like.

Hope you heal up fast.....

Brian -- really sorry to hear about this. If there's anything I can do to help you get her back together, just let me know.

Jim

Your description of fall (in a turn, cold wet tires, "spinning out rear tire", high rev's, etc) remind me of my "little crash". I was making a 90 degree right turn in a parking lot. I had NEW TIRES on (this was at the dealers, no less.) I also had a new ECU installed. I gave it a little (I thought) throttle to increase my safety cushion in front of a pickup truck. Next I knew I was slipping and sliding, fish tailing to the left and the RPM's went off the chart. I tried to reduce the throttle and at the same time correct for the "skid". Next I knew I was being thrown over the bike like a bull whip and I was the end of the bull whip! Slammed down on my chest on the asphalt. Happened so fast it was scary. I had almost 15k on my FJR, my third set of tires. New ECU was much more responsive than the old one. No longer necessary to "blip" the throttle when starting up. Even though I reminded myself that I needed to take it EASY with new tires the resulting HIGH SIDE was breath-taking to experience. I was only going 25 or so. Broken ribs. Thanks to Cycle Port gear I wasn't even scratched. However, even Cycle Port gear can't eliminate the trauma from slamming down flat on the pavement in a crack the whip effect from a high side. Wicked. I certainly don't want to experience a get off at any higher speed!!

Result? About $1500 in parts at the old University Motors prices. Probably about $1800 at the new higher price. I decided to fix it myself and avoid an insurance claim. (This is CA.)

I still have a sore spot on my ribs that hasn't gone away after 6 months.

I hope you heal fast. I'm sure the bike will be good as new after some TLC and $$$.

Good Luck,

LC

Last edited by a moderator: