Final gear oil.... how did I miss this?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRMH Eagle

Reaction score
While doing the first oil change I forgot about replacing the final gear oil. Now there's about 2,400 miles on the bike. I'll do this tomorrow after work. I blame it on the beautiful weather that beckons me to ride.

My question is if I should be concerned about possible damage to any of the components?

While doing the first oil change I forgot about replacing the final gear oil. Now there's about 2,400 miles on the bike. I'll do this tomorrow after work. I blame it on the beautiful weather that beckons me to ride.
My question is if I should be concerned about possible damage to any of the components?

OH MY GOD!!!!

YOU'VE TURNED IT INTO A BMW!!!! :dribble:

THE REAR END'S GONNA FAIL!!!

You should be fine. That rear end is stuffed with break-in lube so it's full of really slippery stuff. :p

edit: But get it changed soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will find a goodly amount of metal shavings wallowing around in the oil, and attached to the magnetic drain plug. But you haven't put enough miles on it to do any damage. Change it a second time in another thousand miles.

You will find a goodly amount of metal shavings wallowing around in the oil, and attached to the magnetic drain plug. But you haven't put enough miles on it to do any damage. Change it a second time in another thousand miles.
If you want to be really anal, you could change it, run it for a 40-50 mile ride, then change it again when you get back. Just to flush everything out. It's not like it takes long and final drive oil ain't too expensive (unless your using the patent yamaha whale jizz mixture.)

Doubt you will have serious side effects though.

I had just over 500 miles on my 08 last week & just came back from a two day 570 mile trip, so I need to change my final gear oil as well. I spoke to the dealer about just doing it myself, and they said that was fine...but to use the specific oil that Yamaha recommends for this bike. I told them that I'd read on a lot of forums that there was other final gear oil that was even better than the Yamaha brand, so I wanted to use that. The dealer said I could...but if there was ever an issue with the final gear section of the bike...I could void my warranty with Yamaha.

So the question is...should I be concerned about that and just use the Yamaha oil, or use some recommended "better" products per the forums & hope I could prove (if I had a problem) that the final gear oil wasn't the issue? The dealer said I "should be careful about what I read on on-line forums".

So the question is...should I be concerned about that and just use the Yamaha oil, or use some recommended "better" products per the forums & hope I could prove (if I had a problem) that the final gear oil wasn't the issue? The dealer said I "should be careful about what I read on on-line forums".
Its funny, my mechanic/dealer says the same thing. Of course my final drive did leak, and I did run non Yammi oil in it.... soo... I'm going back to the Yammi oil. It was still repaired under YES, and all my mechanic said was "whatever your running as final drive fluid, you might not want to run again." I decided to pick up a quart of Yammi branded stuff and just run that from now on.

I think with anything else online, you have to make the decision yourself on what you want to do.

Would you mind sharing what sort of gear oil you did use?

I think there are more forum members running mobil 1 75-90 synthetic gear oil than yamajizz....

I decided to stick with the Yamaha oil, so I stopped by my dealer & picked up a bottle. Interestingly, my dealer charges $39 to change the oil...plus $31 for the oil. Man...what's the mark-up on that?? I'm in the wrong business!

I decided to stick with the Yamaha oil, so I stopped by my dealer & picked up a bottle. Interestingly, my dealer charges $39 to change the oil...plus $31 for the oil. Man...what's the mark-up on that?? I'm in the wrong business!
Wow, $70 to change final drive oil.

That makes my $9 bottle of mobil 1 even more appealing!

Wow, $70 to change final drive oil.

That makes my $9 bottle of mobil 1 even more appealing!
Geeze a ball buster batman...$70 to change the gear oil WTF, is the "Stearlership" that hard up for business?

If one can afford to spend that kind of cash for this service...might as well toss the bike if/when tires get worn!

cadman