Swingarm pivot and steering bearing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRski_2007

Reaction score
According to the manual, it says that Swingarm Pivot Bearings and Steering Bearings lithium soap-based grease should be repacked every 16,000 miles.

Does this mean that the grease should be replaced?

Where do I get the grease?

Is it difficult to do and where can I get the directions on how to do it?

Ugh this could get ugly.

Hey, the swing arm stuff is @ fjr tech I believe. Far as head bearings I'd say start with S and end with h. Not a tough job to do (bearings) just tedious.

Hey, I'm bein nice.

:jester:

Since it ain't Friday yet: https://fjr-tips.org/

But I gotta wonder... If you're asking these kinda of questions the way you did, are you trolling or simply short on mechanical skills? If the latter, put down the wrench and seek professional servicing to avoid a sudden case of death. If the former, tomorrow is gonna be a hecka day for you. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just not a mechanic type of person. I dont mind paying the money to get it done, but I like to learn new things, so I was jsut asking.

Thanks for all the info.

Check the Maintenance area of FJR-Tips there are several different areas that, combined, break the whole project down into more managable pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steering head bearings are worth doing.

I pulled the swingarm for the first time after 50k miles and the grease was clean and plentiful.