Bubbling on Tacho, Speedo Dials

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
On the speedo and tacho dials of my '04 FJR I've noticed some bubbling up of the dial face around each of the four small phillips head screws. The bubbled areas are small and haven't spread to useful areas on the dials.

I don't know if the area near the screws is a heatsink and gets/stays hotter in intense sunlight? This bike has rarely been parked out in the sun for more than two hours at a time.

If one could get replacement dials they'd be quite a project to install.

Anyone have this happen on their FJR?

I've got a slight "melted" spot to the right of my instrument display... pretty sure it's caused by parking the bike in the sun at just the right/wrong time of day and position relative to the sun, and having the sunlight focused by the windshield on that spot. I've been fairly careful to keep the bike covered, or drape my jacket on the handlebars when it's parked, and it hasn't changed in a few years.

I had the same thing happen to mine acouple years ago. It was after being parked in the sun in such an orientation that the gage faces were perpendicular to the suns rays for a while. It was a hot day also. It hasn't got any worse since the initial event. It hasn't limited the speedo needle travel either. ;)

I have a crude fix for the sun damaging the instrument panel. I got an old white cotton T-shirt, cut off the top just below the sleeves, stitched the top opening closed and pulled this stretchy envelope down over the windshield and the instrument panel.

An inelegant solution for when you're parked, but it seems to work. The black plastic is much cooler to the touch. I store it away in my top case.

Limo tint cut to cover the gauges? Better, LIDAR reflective clear plastic cut into gauge shaped pieces to reflect the IR content of the sun? Take free advice for what it cost :)

I'm constantly finding dead ants all crisped up on my dash. Always wondered how a death ray found them there, this answers the question. Thanks!

I'm constantly finding dead ants all crisped up on my dash. Always wondered how a death ray found them there, this answers the question. Thanks!
It's a twofer!

I store firecrackers on my dash and keep finding them exploded for unexplicable reason other than ghosts with matches.....until now.

Ditto the thanks. ;)