where do I get a spark plug socket that fits the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioFJR1300

Reaction score
Its time to change my plugs. I have a roll around tool box full of tools and I can not find a socket that will fit to remove the spark plugs. I know there is a tool that comes with the bike, but someone must make a thin walled spark plug socket that fits. Any ideas where I can buy one? :blink:

Its time to change my plugs. I have a roll around tool box full of tools and I can not find a socket that will fit to remove the spark plugs. I know there is a tool that comes with the bike, but someone must make a thin walled spark plug socket that fits. Any ideas where I can buy one? :blink:
Any auto parts store should have one. Sears Craftsman tools are readily available as well.

Why don't you just use the one that came with the bike?

If you choose not to, take the one that came in the bike's tool pouch with you to the auto parts and they can size it up for you, but ask for a thinner walled one if that is what you think you need.

Edit: Just checked my tools and found the 5/8 Craftsman spark plug socket that I have used on the FJR but I have also used the one that came in the bike's tool pouch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow I have three 5/8" plug sockets, and only one of them is tight in the plug galley, but it's usable. The others clear easily. But the bike's tool is still the easiest to use.

Any auto parts store should have one. Sears Craftsman tools are readily available as well.
Why don't you just use the one that came with the bike?

If you choose not to, take the one that came in the bike's tool pouch with you to the auto parts and they can size it up for you, but ask for a thinner walled one if that is what you think you need.

Edit: Just checked my tools and found the 5/8 Craftsman spark plug socket that I have used on the FJR but I have also used the one that came in the bike's tool pouch.
I called several Auto parts stores and 2 Sears stores and they all told me that they do not have a thin walled 5/8 spark plug socket. I did use the tool that comes with the bike and it works well, but I have several spark plug sockets and not one of them would fit into the FJR to get the plug out. I will keep looking, someone must make one that fits. Maybe mine are so old that they are larger than what is being sold today, I'll buy another one and compare them.

I picked up one of these long spark plug sockets a while back. Its real convenient when the plug is WAY down in the hole like on the FJR. Yeah, an extension on a regular socket works, but they often separate before you can get the plug out, kind of a PITA.

Got one at the local AutoZone or equivalent. For the FJR, I bought my first magnetic spark plug socket. Thing works GREAT!

I picked up one of these long spark plug sockets a while back. Its real convenient when the plug is WAY down in the hole like on the FJR. Yeah, an extension on a regular socket works, but they often separate before you can get the plug out, kind of a PITA.
They make locking extensions which are priceless, then ya don't lose the whole mess in there...

I just jam a piece of paper towel (to extract the loose plug) in a Craftsman six point 3/8 drive deep socket (IIRC 18mm?) and it fit fine on my 05.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's wrong with the socket in the tool kit? Works great for me.

I called several Auto parts stores and 2 Sears stores and they all told me that they do not have a thin walled 5/8 spark plug socket.
It sounds like a good time to ride to the largest town near you and buy one there.....Really !

I leave in a Poe-dunk-town,can't find squat!

Latest posts