Blown shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickysnickers

Reaction score
Well, this bites. I started noticing that the back end was getting "bouncy." I took a took under there this morning and found there was oil all over the place. Apparently, my Wilbers shock that I just had rebuilt in the last group buy is toast. I have no idea why it would do that. I am going to call the company and hopefully they will make it right.....

Rick...who's glad he has his OEM shock

That does suck. How many miles on the shock? They should make it right, though it may take a while.

From the title, I know Odot and B-A-N are gonna stop in here.

I would think that would mean one of 3 things. Your spring is way too soft and/or your seals were not propery installed / too much oil (overfilled)

From the title, I know Odot and B-A-N are gonna stop in here.
I would think that would mean one of 3 things. Your spring is way too soft and/or your seals were not propery installed / too much oil (overfilled)

They actually put a heavier spring in it when it was rebuilt. I had given them all my specs and they said it was undersprung before the rebuild. Not knowing a whole lot about shock rebuilds, I guess you would be right about the seals or the overfill.

Rick

I will be interested in how this turns out. I need to get my Wilbers modified/serviced and it looks like Klaus is still the man so hopefully you get painlessly squared away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be interested in how this turns out. I need to get my Wilbers modified/serviced and it looks like Klaus is still the man so hopefully you get painlessly squared away.

I will keep you updated as to how it progresses. So far, I left a message for the shop yesterday and there has been no return call. I will try calling again tomorrow.

Rick

Just thought I would send out an update. I spoke to the shop and they said no problem, send it in. I was even asked if I needed an OEM shock just so I could ride the bike. They had a couple of stockers siting around and they would ship one out to me. So, I will be sending it in today. Unfortunately I've had some surgery and my wife's dad is in the hospital, dieing from leukemia, Needless to say things around my house haven't been smooth lately.

Rick

Just thought I would send out an update. I spoke to the shop and they said no problem, send it in. I was even asked if I needed an OEM shock just so I could ride the bike. They had a couple of stockers siting around and they would ship one out to me. So, I will be sending it in today. Unfortunately I've had some surgery and my wife's dad is in the hospital, dieing from leukemia, Needless to say things around my house haven't been smooth lately.
Rick
What a downer man. Maybe there is someone on the forum that could come over and swap out your shock for you; you definatley sound like you need a ride!

-wich i could help!

Rick
What a downer man. Maybe there is someone on the forum that could come over and swap out your shock for you; you definatley sound like you need a ride!

-wich i could help!

Problem is I can't ride. I just a had the plate over my collar bone removed the other day. I sure wish I could go out though. Thank you for the offer to help!!

Rick