In the Shop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Franks

Reaction score
I was riding into work this morning, and the bike just died, with no warning. No engine. No Electrical.

I had to get a tow into the dealership, where I learned it was a bad starter switch.

The one component that every motor vehicle has had for nearly a century with almost perfect reliability...that's the one that suddenly goes bad on my FJR.

Go figure.

So now I gotta blow $5.04 per gallon of diesel in my truck for the next two or three days. Great. :angry2:

Settle down, killer. At least it wasn't during an avoidance maneuver in traffic. Coulda been worse.

My 06 did that when leaving a work location 100 miles from home. It was a loose battery terminal that I fixed myself. Feel lucky that it was just a switch.

I have 53000 miles on mine. The FJR is the most dependable bike on the planet and you will love yours again.

Dude. That's just freaky. Sure you trust the dealer's prognosis? I hate to say it, but are you sure it wasn't the ignition switch? How does the starter switch kill everything?

Or did you mean ignition switch to begin with? You do know of the problems too many FJRs have with ignition swtiches don't you?

I was riding into work this morning, and the bike just died, with no warning. No engine. No Electrical.
I had to get a tow into the dealership, where I learned it was a bad starter switch.

The one component that every motor vehicle has had for nearly a century with almost perfect reliability...that's the one that suddenly goes bad on my FJR.

Go figure.

So now I gotta blow $5.04 per gallon of diesel in my truck for the next two or three days. Great. :angry2:
That appears to be a growing problem. I have a friend I ride with who has an 06. His switch failed and left him stranded. I have an 07 and the same thing happened to me three weeks ago.

Mike

That appears to be a growing problem. I have a friend I ride with who has an 06. His switch failed and left him stranded. I have an 07 and the same thing happened to me three weeks ago.
What?!?!?!

A bad starter swtch? Or a bad ignition switch?

C'mon folks. Let's provide a little clarity when it is needed most.

I'm just hoping that loosening the wires coming out of the ignition will keep that little problem from happening.

What?!?!?!

A bad starter swtch? Or a bad ignition switch?

C'mon folks. Let's provide a little clarity when it is needed most.
Somebody listen to the Scoot! You have my head spinning here. It is the Start Button or Ignition? No electrical engineer but I am finding it difficult to believe the Start Button has any role to play once the engine is running.

The technique of adding slack to the ignition switch harness did not work for me.

The ignition switch on my 2007 (new in July, 8500 miles) failed on startup this morning and the bike has been towed.

I will report the particulars to the ignition switch failure thread once the dealership has rendered its verdict.

odot: The Lhamo Thondup of Texas. :lol:
budda_bobby.jpg