Front brake bleeder severe corrosion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otrfjr

Don't tell Mom
Reaction score
With 18k on my 07, I decided it was time for the gunky/cloudy brake fluid to go. When I removed the rubber caps on the bleeder nipples on the right side of the front brakes, I found something disturbing:

cedar_key_may_2008028.jpg

Has anyone seen this amount of corrosion on a 15 month old bike? I have a theory about why the two bleeders on the right side are so badly corroded & why the left nipple is perfect. I believe that it's a function of having the bike outdoors on the side stand with a cover. I'm guessing the cover allows water to collect down near the elastic which would place it right next to the brakes.

Does this mean I need to replace the two bleeders on the right side?

I've never seen this before on any brake bleeder valve. I would guess they have been that way since they were installed by the factory, unless you are in a very corrosive environment with salt etc.

I would personally replace them since you are bleeding the lines any way.

Good luck.

I've never seen corrosion like that on a bleeder nipple on any motorcycle or car, including a couple 25-year old cars I've had. I can't imagine the factory installing something like that so that leaves your theory of water collecting there, except I would've thought the rubber caps would be watertight. A bit of a mystery.....