Rear Caliper lugs broken

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raggitash

Reaction score
Hi All

I recently went to change the rear brake pads and have discovered that the lugs on the floating piston assembly at the rear caliper have broken off.

I have spent hours trying to find a used piston assembly as Yamaha only sell the complete unit and it is around £300 WOW!

Every breakers I get in touch with say the same things "I get asked every day for one of those" or "You'll be lucky mate".

If this is a big problem why have I not been able to find reference to it here on this site?

Also WHERE CAN I GET ONE? :blink:

Cheers

Steve

Never heard of it happening before. But then, the rear pads last so long I guess most folks don't need to disassemble the rear caliper very often.

Hi All
I recently went to change the rear brake pads and have discovered that the lugs on the floating piston assembly at the rear caliper have broken off.

I have spent hours trying to find a used piston assembly as Yamaha only sell the complete unit and it is around £300 WOW!

Every breakers I get in touch with say the same things "I get asked every day for one of those" or "You'll be lucky mate".

If this is a big problem why have I not been able to find reference to it here on this site?

Also WHERE CAN I GET ONE? :blink:

Cheers

Steve
Where exactly is it broken? Mine cracked at one of the mounting holes for the main part on my 2003 when I had it. I know someone else in the UK whose cracked in the same place. I was lucky and picked up a second hand one from a breaker but they are like gold dust.

Not sure exactly where you're talking about it being broken. But I'm thinking if it was broke and you didn't know it, it might not be a highly stressed area. You might try to find a welding shop in your area that can repair aluminum.

Just a thought.

Not sure exactly where you're talking about it being broken. But I'm thinking if it was broke and you didn't know it, it might not be a highly stressed area. You might try to find a welding shop in your area that can repair aluminum. Just a thought.

Yep thats exactly what I did. Below is a picture of the finished article and yes I know it is not pretty.

The trouble is I have been told that if the welding is picked up during the next MOT the bike will fail,

That being the case I was hopeing someone knows where to get a cheep replacement.

I am also bewildered that this problem has not been raised before as they are "Like gold dust"

and must be for a reason.

https://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Raggitash/1s...480291441332674