06 Topcase Cracked

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtd

Reaction score
I was noticing recurring threads on this forum re: cracked top cases. I bought an 06 used last fall, with and extended warranty and Yamaha topcase. When I called a dealer to see how to tell if the topcase had been reinforced, he told me I needed to "bring it in" (125 miles away). The next week I needed to ride the bike to a job 350 miles away, and when I got home - cracked base in the topcase. So, I called Yamaha and they told me to go to a dealer and call them if "I can't get no satisfaction". My new local dealer (dirt bikes & ATV's) ordered me a new case at no charge to me, which came with a steel plate on the base. Great, but now I need to know if my mounting plate is the new improved version. Does anyone have a link to a photo that shows the difference between the new and old plates so I know if I need to request this part also?

This case is essentially a $600 suitcase that breaks. It slays me that Yamaha really thinks it is realistic to expect riders to use either the topcase or saddlebags, not all at the same time. Has anyone at Yamaha ever ridden a motorcycle on a road trip? Doesn't this bike have the word "tourer" in its description? Are you supposed to tie stuff on like Jed Clampet while the topcase sits in the garage?

Yep that's what your supposed to do... I think it's a liability thing more than anything. Of course there are folks here who have broken/cracked sub frames.

I'm planning a trip out west around NAFO time. I'll most definitely use both like I do every day as well as a big ass bag on the back seat.

Sorry I have a Givi top case. Dealer wouldn't deal on a top case (actually didn't have one in stock when I bought either). So I guess I'm lucky that way.

-MD