Fuel Gauge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluegrass FJR

Reaction score
Is there a procedure, possibly by going into the diagnostic codes, to calibrate the fuel readout? Recently on a long trip I averaged 44 1/5 mpg. This equates to about 295 miles to a tank of gas. Assuming the last bar on the digital readout is somewhere around a gallon left, I shouldn't be reading that low until well past 200 miles. Instead, I'm indicating that I'm about out of gas at around 180 miles.

I realize this isn't all that big of a deal, but it did cause me to have to stop for gas a few times that I would have rather continued for a few more miles.

Not electronically, but you can remove the pump and bend the float arm so it reads whatever you want when you want it.

Not electronically, but you can remove the pump and bend the float arm so it reads whatever you want when you want it.
What he said.

When you say "I'm indicating that I'm about out of gas at around 180 miles" what does that mean? Are you hitting the flashing reserve at 180 miles?

When you say "I'm indicating that I'm about out of gas at around 180 miles" what does that mean? Are you hitting the flashing reserve at 180 miles?
I'm on the last bar at around 180 miles. I've never let it go far enough to know when it starts flashing.

Run the bike until the fuel guage starts to flash...at that point you have about 1.3 gallons of fuel left.

My '05 gets about 220 miles before the guage starts to flash.

cadman

I'm on the last bar at around 180 miles. I've never let it go far enough to know when it starts flashing.
Well then, your fuel gauge may not be all that far off. I have hit the blinking last bar (virtual reserve) at anywhere between 205-245 miles depending on fuel mileage for that tank. For cryin out loud -as mentioned above you still have plenty of fuel when it starts blinking, so start riding further into the tank.

Stop and go riding can make it blink earlier then steady speed cruising. Float is on right side of tank, towards rear. So braking that causes fuel to slosh forward can cause gauge to read lower quicker.

My 07 starts flashing around 200 miles. I usually fill it up by 220 or 230 and usually still have 1 gallon left, so I'd recommend that you keep riding until you get the flashing bar, then fill up within 30-40 miles and you should always be ok.