Need help with removing triple clamp

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayshaw91

Reaction score
Yes, searched. No, I didn't find what i wanted.

OK, so we know that steering head bolt is on tight. Right now I've got the bars removed and the bike on the center stand. I need to get the steering head off to put my GenMar risers on.

The problem is that with the bike up the whole front end moves and I don't think I can figure out a way to get the nut to budge without the fork rotating. Should I have this thing planted so the ground has a bit more hold on the tire, allowing (hopefully) the ability to get more torque on that damn nut?

Now, if that is the case, is it a bad plan to try and get the bike off the center stand the the handle bars detached?

Turn the bars full lock left...loosen steering head bolt.

(that was a trick question, wasn't it?)

Not necessary (or advisable) to take the bike off the center stand with the bars removed. Also, that bad boy needs to be torqued to 85 ft lbs when you're done. Full lock.....any guesses?....yep, right....and keep it on it's center stand.

Just did that operation last weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn the bars full lock left...loosen steering head bolt.
(that was a trick question, wasn't it?)

Not necessary (or advisable) to take the bike off the center stand with the bars removed. Also, that bad boy needs to be torqued to 85 ft lbs when you're done. Full lock.....any guesses?....yep, right....and keep it on it's center stand.

Just did that operation last weekend.
No kidding? Just turn the bars all the way left, then bust a nut getting the nut off? That's it? Man, I thought for sure trying that with the bars turned would be a bad, bad plan.

Thanks!

And yes, that did it. As I was walking out of the garage this morning I turned the bars left, pushed on the breaker bar, and with a little bit of effort the nut turned. Good times.

GenMar risers... here I come!

And yes, that did it. As I was walking out of the garage this morning I turned the bars left, pushed on the breaker bar, and with a little bit of effort the nut turned. Good times.
GenMar risers... here I come!

Jayshaw,

Please let us know how you like the GenMars and include a little info about your height. I just orderd them for my 06 as well. I'm 5'7', 32 inseam. With my bars set to the most rear position im still leaning a little bit to get to them and I'm hoping the GenMars get me upright and take a little weight off of the bars.

Thanks

Latest posts