Headlight Adjuster not worky

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeyechuck

Reaction score
I have a 2 day old 2007 AE model. Just noticed the left sided Headlight adjuster just spins around and doesn't adjust anything. I will take it back to the dealer but just wondered if there is a quick fix I did search couldn't find answer.

I did tighten the set screw but no change....the right side works perfectly fine.

Thanks in advance.

Did you take the screw out and take the knob off and check that it was in fact installed properly and that it isn't broken on the inside?

Did you take the screw out and take the knob off and check that it was in fact installed properly and that it isn't broken on the inside?
No that was the next step.

If it is I figured it was broken by someone twisting it around when it was on the showroom floor.

The cable could be disconnected on either end also. If someone had turned it so far as to break it, then one headlight would be way the hell out of wack! I would bet the cable is undone from the back of the knob.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cable could be disconnected on either end also. If someone had turned it so far as to break it, then one headlight would be way the hell out of wack! I would bet the cable is undone from the back of the knob.
That's what I thought the dealer said they would look at it when I bring it by. Unless you think I can get to it without removing the fairings?

I took off the knob and everything looks ok. I felt back where the cable is and the "sheath" is still attached but I dont feel any movement when I turn knob like I do on the other side. So definitely it is disconnected at the knob end. I am not sure if it's like a speedometer cable that has a cable that slides into a socket. If so I guess its possible that the cable slipped out. Or maybe they forgot to put a cable inside the sheath :)

I took off the knob and everything looks ok. I felt back where the cable is and the "sheath" is still attached but I dont feel any movement when I turn knob like I do on the other side. So definitely it is disconnected at the knob end. I am not sure if it's like a speedometer cable that has a cable that slides into a socket. If so I guess its possible that the cable slipped out. Or maybe they forgot to put a cable inside the sheath :)
Where the cable screws onto the back of the knob assy, it's exactly like a speedo cable. Rather than take the knob off, I always just unscrew the cable whenever I need to remove those panels.

I know it's a hassle to go to the dealer, but they might as well fix it under warranty while you're there.

This is not common but you are not the only one. I have had my right adjuster cable break once and come off once. (The dealer did a poor job of installing the replacement cable, it only stayed on for a day!)

This is not common but you are not the only one. I have had my right adjuster cable break once and come off once. (The dealer did a poor job of installing the replacement cable, it only stayed on for a day!)

Thanks for all the replies. THe headlight is at least pointed in the right direction. I will let them mess with it later.