Wheel Bent

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flylooper

Reaction score
I was changing a rear tire on my '04 yesterday and in the process of balancing the wheel, I noticed that one side of the wheel rim was bent. It had a kind of "flat spot" on the rim right above a spoke so that when I spun the wheel I could readily see the rim "bounce" as the flat spot passed by my eye.

I also noticed that the bend occurred on the side of the wheel that sat on top of my Harbor Freight tire changer. Of course, this begs the question, is it possible to clamp down so hard on the claw of the tire changer that grabs the rim that I could actually bend it? I tightened the claw with my hand. I didn't use any kind of lever or anything. Just my hand.

It "appears" that could be the source of the problem. On the other hand, I could also have hit a bad bump (though I don't ever remember doing so) and bent it when I was out on the road. I just don't know, honestly.

I'm asking this question because if I am the problem--in other words, I'm clamping the claw on the wheel too hard, I need to know about it.

Meanwhile, I beat on the wheel with a plastic hammer for a while and I seem to have straightened it out a bit, but it has a long way to go. I think I'm going to have to buy another rear wheel.

Anyone got one to sell??? [half sheepish smile]

Flylooper,

I've changed a few tires on my HF changer, and while I have managed to seat the bead of the new tire while the clamps were still on the wheel - I've not bent the rim. You'd have to have some knarly strength to get that clamp that tight -

I'd have to say you hit something along the way.... Most probably.

I've got a Coates tire changer with 3 points securing the rim and I crank it hard enough so the rim doesn't spin as I'm levering the tire off. I've probably changed 40 tires or so, and I've never bent a rim. It seems like you would remember the hit if you struck something on the road hard enough to bend the rim.

Latest posts