Idle Speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riderjohn

Reaction score
First, I've did the search on 'Idle', I've read Bin O Facts, and I've read a lot of the other threads. Now that I have shielded the first barrage of 'Its already been discussed to death', I have a question. We all know idle speed is to be 1100. Mine is 800-900. It runs perfectly etc. My question is: Does a lower idle speed affect something I don't know about? In other words, is it extremely important to be 1100 or doesn't it matter if it's a couple of hundred off?

I love to answer a question with a question.

If idle speed is 'supposed' to be 1100 rpm, why the heck wouldn't you set it there? It's not like it's hard to change.

Many have reported ill effects from a low idle speed. I don't remember the specifics, but I am sure a search would provide you a plethora of information. :rolleyes:

i have the idle on my '05 set @ 900-1000 rpm...i have not experienced any ill effects..i feel that setting the idle a bit lower helps fuel economy at the stoplights.

i could be way off, but that's my thinking.

cadman

SkooterG answering a question with a question is exactly what I thought. Why not go to 1100. Then I thought, why go to 1100. I am just curious if it makes any real difference. I think we all know if I increased the RPM a couple of hundred, it's feel and sound about the same. I just wondered if there was a mechanical reason why 1100 would be better? Emissions? Less chance of a sputter? I have no idea. I just thought maybe a wrench out there would know.

Well, 11 is a special number and is ALWAYS better, as in "But it goes to eleven".

So I figure eleven hundred must be a good ju-ju number too. :D

Might not have anything to do with yours, but mine comes up off idle smoother if I keep it between 1050 and 1100.

First, I've did the search on 'Idle', I've read Bin O Facts, and I've read a lot of the other threads. Now that I have shielded the first barrage of 'Its already been discussed to death', I have a question. We all know idle speed is to be 1100. Mine is 800-900. It runs perfectly etc. My question is: Does a lower idle speed affect something I don't know about? In other words, is it extremely important to be 1100 or doesn't it matter if it's a couple of hundred off?
I have no idea on the FJR, but I've got a buddy with a Street Bob and he has to have his idle set at a min of around 1000rpm. That's the min rpm to spin the oil pump and keep things lubricated. May be the same deal here.. oil pump, alternator, water pump..all need a certain speed to keep things happy. Just a guess...

Throttle transition while throttling up in the midst of the nasty twisties will be much smoother with the higher idle speed. With the lower idle speed, you may find some unsettling transitions.

<snip>Does a lower idle speed affect something...?In other words, is it extremely important to be 1100 or doesn't it matter if it's a couple of hundred off?
'jasona1700': ...oil pump, alternator, water pump..all need a certain speed to keep things happy. Just a guess...
'SkooterG': ...eleven hundred must be a good ju-ju number...
'SkooterG': ...ill effects from a low idle speed. I don't remember the specifics...
If given the choice, it's better to err on the more rpm side than less rpm (in most situations I can think of...). Idle speed is one of them -- although on some modern computer controlled engines that's not possible.

Luckily, the FJR's idle can be set and there is an optimal speed (and, as usual, Mama Yama's correct, imo). As touched-on here, all engine ancillary functions provide good results with a few more revs v/s less: oil pump flows around more lube; coolant pump, same; and the alternator will provide more electrons. This latter is especially important if you ride alot around town and alot of stop and go. At low rpm idle the charging system isn't helping recharge the battery much -- just a few hundred rpm more may add valuable watts to replenish what is lost from repeated starts.

I sense, sometimes, a feeling that somehow less revolutions is better? I don't think so. If you'd run the rpm down even further I think you'd notice a rougher running engine at very low idle. That kind of thing is not good for the moving parts inside -- cam chains tend to jump around more; gears tend to bounce back and forth on their 'lash', etc. Smoothness and 'harmony' are the ideal. Let it rev a little... :)

In the interest of full discloser (and, it may be apocryphal?) -- but, someone once told me that the R-6 doesn't have any numbers below 4000 on the tach.... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is: Does a lower idle speed affect something I don't know about? In other words, is it extremely important to be 1100 or doesn't it matter if it's a couple of hundred off?
I think the effects on emissions, gas consumption, smooth throttle has next to no bearing whether your RPM is 900 or 1100.

Now electrical output may be effected more (at idle) if your idle is set lower than spec.

Example: Your at a stop light & your holding the brake (brake lights on), with a directional on & maybe your heated grips. Don't forget your headlights are always on too!

Don't forget boys & girls that many of us use GPS, radar etc. Now picture all this on while your idling at 800/900 RPM :fool:

Now electrical output may be effected more (at idle) if your idle is set lower than spec.Example: Your at a stop light & your holding the brake (brake lights on), with a directional on & maybe your heated grips. Don't forget your headlights are always on too!

Don't forget boys & girls that many of us use GPS, radar etc. Now picture all this on while your idling at 800/900 RPM :fool:
Don't forget about that high current draw radiator fan cycling on if you are stopped a lot.

Throttle transition while throttling up in the midst of the nasty twisties will be much smoother with the higher idle speed. With the lower idle speed, you may find some unsettling transitions.

Ya can't argue with that kinda logic... Prolly to simple an answer Scabby :blink:

:jester:

Not to mention that the Yamaha Repair Manual says that when you sync your throttles that you need to first ensure that your idling RPMs are set correctly at 1000 - 1100 - therefore reasoning that if your idle is on th elow side that your throttles aren't working efficiently, or as intended. I would almost garuantee that a properly set idle is going result in a much better performing bike.

Not to mention that the Yamaha Repair Manual says that when you sync your throttles that you need to first ensure that your idling RPMs are set correctly at 1000 - 1100 - therefore reasoning that if your idle is on th elow side that your throttles aren't working efficiently, or as intended. I would almost garuantee that a properly set idle is going result in a much better performing bike.

That makes a lot of sense. I like a vehicle with a low idle speed better but that that's personal preference. I believe you have said it best. I will go up to the proper level. Mine just kind of slowly went down.

My 08 takes off smother since I raise it to 1100 from about 900. I had it die a couple of times at takeoff before. Of course I am old and slow.

The Yamaha tech said it all has to do with getting the proper amount of oil to the motor and 1100 RPM's in the magic number.