Pulling to right w/o input

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilmedic13

Reaction score
This has been happening ever since I put the PP on front and PR on rear. At first I thought I was imagining it because it would disappear at low speeds. But yesterday on the way to and from my dads house there was no denying it was happening.

At about 65-70 it becomes noticeable, at 75-85 mph it's a manageable. I was taking a nice looong sweeper at 90 and the pulling was so bad it actually forced me into the right lane before I wanted to,luckily it was wide open, that's why I went up to that speed.

I'm going to take the wheels off and remount them, just in case I fucked it the first time and test it out later and see if it continues. If it does continue, I'm not sure what to do, besides ride side streets.

Is there anything I should be looking for specifically. Also, I did let go of the bars, very tentatively, and there was no wobble. Yes I let go while it was pulling.

Ummmm,okay. While the crickets were entertaining you I went out and was all set to dis- and re-mount the wheel/tires. Just before I went out the door I went to say goodnight to the wife. After I got the usual bedtime report, she asked what I was going to do, I told the above answer. She asked if I had checked the pressure recently. I said no, they said they checked 'em at the shop, she shot me a look and told me to check the pressure first.

:angry:

Well, what do you know, 32 psi front and 32 psi rear. I guess that would have some effect on the handling. You'd think I would've learned my fuckin lesson after riding from Wyoming to Chicago w/ 28 psi in the tires because I thought the previous owner meant it when he said it was all ckecked out and ready to go.

Oh well, testing will happen after the rain stops.

Snork! Don'cha hate when the wife really does know everything? :lol:

Also loosen the pinch bolts front and rear and bounce the 'spenders a few times, then re-torque the pinch bolts. Yeah, yeah, I know, you none believers will chime in, but I don't have one of those gay-ass gremlin bells hangin' on the bike to ward off such anomalies.

Snork! Don'cha hate when the wife really does know everything? :lol:
Also loosen the pinch bolts front and rear and bounce the 'spenders a few times, then re-torque the pinch bolts. Yeah, yeah, I know, you none believers will chime in, but I don't have one of those gay-ass gremlin bells hangin' on the bike to ward off such anomalies.
Pinch bolts? The ones that hold that axles in place or some other bolt? Just making sure,that is all.

yes, those ones. But on the FJR they don't really hold the axles in place, they just keep the axles from rotating.

It seems that the pinch bolts were part of the problem. When I loosened the rear pinch bolt, the swingarm popped outboard an inch or so. It seems that I didn't torque everything in sequence somehow, causing the pinch bolt to bring the swingarm in w/ it while I torqued the axle nut to spec. Now there is a nice little gap between the swingarm and rear brake. I even went back and looked over a few photos that showed if there wa a space there before or not, sure enough there was.

The subsequent "suicide" test ride gave me a lot more confidence than I've had in a while.I took it on the expressway ay various speeds and no drift whatsoever. The bike even felt better at slower speeds and on the turns she felt a little wobbly on.I guess my instincts were dead on again. I just didn't feel as comfortable on the bike as I did before and just couldn't explain it, I guess I now know. I may just send it to the dealer for a day so they can go over everything and make sure I didn't screw up the rear end somehow. I figure all that pressure on that swingarm was transferred somewhere.

Thanks a ton for the help, I guess it's always in the details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow....sounds like it's train time......everyone gather round for a jerk off...............

................And things are popping...........gather round, folks........gather round.............

It seems that the pinch bolts were part of the problem. When I loosened the rear pinch bolt, the swingarm popped outboard an inch or so.

For some reason, some folks gotta have that axle end flush with the outer swing arm. Dunno why, though - doing so usually binds you up tighter than a peanut butter and banana sammich.