High Beams Went South

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper

Reaction score
2006 FJR

Just took a ride from Florida, over to the Texas Hill Country. On the way, I lost my high beams. Everything else is working great. I thought it might be a fuse but they all seem ok (except one labeled "E" and I replaced it with the spare, it did not fix the problem - I still don't know what that is used to control). I would consider checking my bulbs but I just replaced both 6 months ago and it seems pretty strange to lose just the high beams.

Anyone with an idea or suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just took a ride from Florida, over to the Texas Hill Country. On the way, I lost my high beams. Everything else is working great. I thought it might be a fuse but they all seem ok (except one labeled "E" and I replaced it with the spare, it did not fix the problem - I still don't know what that is used to control). I would consider checking my bulbs but I just replaced both 6 months ago and it seems pretty strange to lose just the high beams.Anyone with an idea or suggestions will be appreciated.
Don't know if this will help or not, but both my low beams went out at the same time and I had to replace them on my 04. The service manager at the dealership I went to said they do that, for some reason that I've since forgot. There are some people on the forum with a lot more electrical knowledge than me that might chime in with a good explanation.

GP

Just took a ride from Florida, over to the Texas Hill Country. On the way, I lost my high beams. Everything else is working great. I thought it might be a fuse but they all seem ok (except one labeled "E" and I replaced it with the spare, it did not fix the problem - I still don't know what that is used to control). I would consider checking my bulbs but I just replaced both 6 months ago and it seems pretty strange to lose just the high beams.Anyone with an idea or suggestions will be appreciated.
Don't know if this will help or not, but both my low beams went out at the same time and I had to replace them on my 04. The service manager at the dealership I went to said they do that, for some reason that I've since forgot. There are some people on the forum with a lot more electrical knowledge than me that might chime in with a good explanation.

GP
Thanks for reply GP! I will keep checking to see if anyone else comes up with an idea before pulling the bulbs again. It was a minor bit _ h last time I tried to get my big paws in that space. If that turns out to be the problem, I will blame it on washboard Ranch Roads in Texas for breaking the filiments of my new bulbs. Thanks

Fuse is for the entire headlight circuit, so if it goes, you get nothing. Don't ask me how I know this.

If it's not your bulbs, then most likely it is Headlight Relay #2 that is not working. This relay controls the switch from lows to high. This relay is a bi-atch to get at requiring removal of the nose section of the fairing. So checking your bulbs should be your first step.

Here's something to try: Start your engine so that the headlights come on. Shut it off with the kill switch so that they stay on. Now, flip your high/low switch back and forth. You should hear Headlight Relay #2 clicking as you do this.

Interesting. Rash of this going on as DailyCommuter recently lost his low beams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without taking anything apart pull the connector plugs off the back of the lights. Then test the plug for juice, high and low. That way you don't have to pull the bulbs out unless they are the problem. Both of my lows went out simultaneously really thought it was going to be more than that, but I should have stuck with the old addage keep it simple stupid. Or replaced the cheapest thing first. Either way start with the simplest thing first. I can't post a link to my post on the low beams from my Blackberry but you'll find it if you look quick.

Don't forget the blue high beam indicator on the instrument display. The high beam lamp filaments and this display indicator are fed from the output of the high/low relay.

After engine startup when the headlights should be powered this indicator will give you the status of the headlight circuit.

Great troubleshooting info here! Thanks and I will be into it today (if possible) to find out the source of the problem. With this much knowledge base, it should be easy enough to figure out now. I consider myself very fortunate to be a part of this forum. I'll post a reply after I figure it out.

Thanks again.

OK, I checked the #2 Relay and heard it click. I do have a High Beam indicator light, so I pulled the bulb and it does have a broken filament. I will make the assumption that the other bulb is broken also.

These are only about 6 months old so, either the Texas Ranch Roads were just too tough on them or the bulbs are not the highest quality for this application. They are not OEM, and I can't remember the cross number I used when replacing them. I just ordered them off the internet, so it's back to finding a high quality bulb this time.

Thanks for all the Tech help because it saved me from digging too deep before using the old tried and true KISS method.

If anyone knows a good bulb replacement number, and where to find the part, let me know.