Ignition Failure Preparation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
Just wondering if people are carrying anything extra in their tools kits to deal with the alkalies heel of the FJR; also know is the ignition switch? (It could be worse, like the final drive).

If you have added items to what you take along with you, what all is included?

As I am starting to put together a list for NAFO, I think taking some things to deal with an ignition switch failure might be a good idea.

I might seem paranoid, but the switch was cheap enough that I went ahead and bought one, even though I've got Y.E.S.

I am going to have it rekeyed to my standard key too.

When it comes, I'm going to study it and see if it would make any sense to fill the back side where the wires enter with epoxy to seal it, and to reinforce the fastening to the wire bundle. I may not do this if it doesn't look like it would help.

I've also thought about taking along the toggle switch that has been recommended elsewhere on the forum, but I haven't made any move toward making this happen.

I hope I never need it. On the bright side, the $93 for the switch is a heck of a lot cheaper than the BMW switch that fails with the dreaded EWS message, and I'm just lucky enough to have one of the bikes affected by that problem too.

I've been carrying a couple of wire nuts (like home wiring uses) & they worked well when needed. Thanks to whoever posted about the wire nuts before me, it was a big help . . .

Wire cutters, two wire nuts, cheap'ass 30 amp switch, two wire lugs to hook wire to switch, good electrical tape & plastic tie straps. Two wire nuts because you might be on some windy road in the middle of nowhere & just want to hook the two small wires together & then the two big wires together & get to a better place to do the switch.