gen 1 front wheel bearings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash

Reaction score
2005 with 8000miles. While trying to balance new tire, wheel would not turn freely on shaft. I usually remove spacers so that wheel spins freey. However, the wheel was actually spinning on the inner race and the axle and not turning freely. I couldn't determine balance. The inner races were difficult to turn. wedging my thumbs into the inner race,I could spin them, but not easily. Removed the bearings and they turn easily. Put the spacer in some v-blocks and indicated the end of the spacer. The dial indicator moved maybe a couple of tenths. Put back together and drove the bearings tight. Same thing very tight bearings. I put some play in the spacer so I could balance. Worked well. When I put wheel back on,without brakes it would spin OK, until I tightened shaft. Could the spacer be too short so that the bearings are loaded axially? About the only thing I could think to do was just to snug the axle and tighten the socket head so the axle would stay in place. Seem to be OK as far as steering and ride. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe shim the spacer?

By the way I've got about 1500 miles on the Shenko's, and I like them. Not as sticky as some but very predictable. Give plenty of warning before letting go. Steering is very light compared to the Metzler OEM. Rear contact patch is very wide but do not notice any transition( like when tires are worn) when leaning into turn. Very little wear so far.

Latest posts