Ticking Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbl k

Reaction score
(sorry posted it by accident in other forum)

I've spent the last couple days reading about the "tick".

I still have a couple questions.

Is the tick prevalent through out the RPM range?

Is it prevalent when the engine is hot or cold or both?

My '05 has developed a tick. When the engine is cold and you start it, it ticks until the engine warms up. The tick then reemerges around 2500-2900 RPM then goes away.

23k on the clock, just changed oil, coolant, and added pwr comdr with Wally's Smoothness map on it.

Do I have a ticker or is it some other problem?

The bike runs fine and I'm about to take it on a 5000+ mile trip next week. If it is a ticker, any harm in going on the trip?

Sounds right.

The trip won't be an issue.

You can use a long (2-ft) stethoscope, screwdriver, or other piece of metal to listen to the head just above each exhaust. If it's the "tick" you'll know real fast which valve guide it is.

It sounds to me like you don't have any problem. These engines can be noisy. If you truly have 'the tick', it will get worse and you will have no doubt.

And don't worry about your trip. 'The Tick' has never, ever, stranded anybody. You can ride for thousands and thousands of miles with 'the tick' (IF you have it) as it's a gradual deterioration.

Stress LESS, ride MORE.

Oh it's going on the trip, come H-E-double hockey sticks or high water. If it dies or blows up then so be it.

Thanks for the input and votes of confidence.

Rode the bike to work this morning, ticked slightly when I started it, got to work (35 miles) no ticking. Went back out 4hrs later and started it again, no ticking. I'll be damned if I know or can figure out what it is/was.

First ride with the new PC and Wally's map. Runs like a raped ape, not that it didn't prior but I can notice a significant difference.

Dblk....if you are not sure if you have a ticker now, chances are you will know after the 5,000 mile trip (sorry to say). What you have described is exactly how the tick behaves in the early stage. As time and distance accumulate, the sound you now hear will become more consistent and louder. There are some bikes that have been ridden a long time with the condition without detrimental effect. Watch for oil consumption though, in the later stages.

Dblk....if you are not sure if you have a ticker now, chances are you will know after the 5,000 mile trip (sorry to say). What you have described is exactly how the tick behaves in the early stage. As time and distance accumulate, the sound you now hear will become more consistent and louder. There are some bikes that have been ridden a long time with the condition without detrimental effect. Watch for oil consumption though, in the later stages.
if it ticks when warmed up and in the 2500-3500 rpm range in 2nd or 3rd under a light load or decelerating then you most likely have one as thats what mine did.

How long since new plugs?, Improperly burned fuel in the headers or flash retaining carbon (pre-ign) can cause all kinds of sounds in a motor.

-Don

I looked back at some of your earlier post and you mention that you live in Atlanta. I have a previously tick repaired 05, and consider myself knowledgeable on the sound of a ticker. I also mentioned to another forum member way before he officially discovered his to be a ticker that his bike , an 04 sounded bad. it was bad.

We both had our engines repaired at Lawrenceville yamaha.

If you want a second opinion on your noisy motor, just reply to this thread and I will try to help you out.

Update: Took the bike for a 6k mile ride over the last couple weeks. Didn't tick once. I'm begining to think it had something to do with the PC I had installed. Nonetheless fingers are crossed that it doesn't return.