Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edocar

Reaction score
I am currently on a roadtrip and it was necessary to replace the left and right tail lights on my '04 FJR within 2 days of each other. However, the right tail light remains much brighter than the left: the brake light remains on all the time so it appears the brake light switch is not turned off. I have tried to release pressure on the foot and hand brake levers but it does not solve the problem. Any ideas on how to correct the problem is appreciated.

Try taking The bright one out and turning it 180 degrees, sounds like it could be in wrong, if the brake light switch was stuck, they'd both be on all the time. Or try switching the 2 bulbs with each other.

Not to say that this your problem...but it provides a differential diagnosis. My brake lights were stuck on at one time. I took it into the dealership and they noticed right away that the solenoid on the front brake lever that activates the rear brake light when squeezed was bad. $12.00 part. I hope it's as simple as that. Also, if you replaced your lights at different times, the extended life 1157's burn brighter than the stock bulbs.

Try taking The bright one out and turning it 180 degrees, sounds like it could be in wrong, if the brake light switch was stuck, they'd both be on all the time. Or try switching the 2 bulbs with each other.

My '04 has had the same problem...brake lights stuck ON. I found it to be the rear brake switch. I now spray the switch with silicon spray every few months, and it has fixed the problem. Use a can with a little straw so that you can stick it up under the rubber cover from underneath.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

You can easily verify if the front brake switch is the problem by disconnecting one of the wires from the switch and see if the brake lights go out.

The two wires use simple push-on friction fit electrical lugs. You can gently/slowly pull one of the lugs away from the switch body. Turn off the ignition switch before removing and then reinstalling the lug connection. It's possible you might accidentally ground the lug while you're pushing and tugging and blow the brake light fuse.

It's a bit more difficult to disconnect the rear switch near the pedal. So don't go there if you can avoid it.

Rumors have surfaced occasionally that just prior to the tick beginning, the bike will display one brake light in annoyance. Hey, just the messenger here.

I agree. If it was a bad switch it would not affect just one bulb. Turn the bright bulb 180 degrees. If that doesn't work, the bulb may be defective.

Rumors have surfaced occasionally that just prior to the tick beginning, the bike will display one brake light in annoyance. Hey, just the messenger here.
...and right before the dreaded tick happens you'll notice some serious klunkage coming from somewhere in the front end.

The problem is probably exacerbated by the fact that he is running Synthetic oil and has Avons mounted. Probably wears chaps too. :blink:

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Probably better to reserve the sarcasm till after we get the thing fixed (we are in the 'Technical Forum' and this could be considered a safety issue).

It sounds like the bulbs are improperly seated in the bulb base. I would try removing them and reseating them.

p.s. Anybody want to pile-on (on me for chastising), go ahead, but take it outside (different thread or PM).

Question was answered in the first couple of replies. Everything after that is gravy. Thursday is the new Friday this week, so the gloves are off early. Also, if the bulbs were indeed installed improperly to begin with, the individuals skill level preempts any subsequent assistance we might be able to offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
".......have we not heard the bells ring at midnight?......................"

Thanks for the helpful (and somewhat helpful replies) for the brake light problem has been solved!!

DailyCommuter's suggestion of turning the bulb 180 degrees corrected the problem so he gets the

Edocar brownie points for the day. I have heard that CA highway patrol are more apt to cite

non-functioning daytime running lights so correcting the problem is one less concern I have. By the way, are all turn cager turn signals in Southern California de-activated? It has been my experience so far that 90%+ cagers do not use them and that taking a Zen like approach to navigating around San Fran, San Diego and Los Angelos is integral is staying alive on the highways.

By the way, are all turn cager turn signals in Southern California de-activated? It has been my experience so far that 90%+ cagers do not use them and that taking a Zen like approach to navigating around San Fran, San Diego and Los Angelos is integral is staying alive on the highways.

Yes, it's done when they install the extra charcoal canister to catch errant fuel fumes. Only pre-1974 cars have blinkers and only those drivers born before 1935 use them - but they leave them on to make up for the rest of the Californios.

It used to be Los Ang[SIZE=8pt]e[/SIZE]los, but they moved to Oregon. Now it's Los Angeles...