Loose battery connection?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Toro Joe

FYYFF
Reaction score
Had some weird stuff going on this morning on the way to work. First the bike gave me some trouble starting, then at idle it seemed like the lights were flickering, then as I got closer to work I noticed the ABS light going on & off at random and the speedo dropping from 40 mph down to 0 mph and back. The last light that I stopped at the bike died, but started right back up. When I got to work I tried starting a couple more times...no problem, started right up. Could this be from a loose battery connection? or is this an ignition problem???

Doesn't sound like a switch prolbem. At least none that I have heard of.

I would definitely try the battery connections first.

My daughter's truck had similar symptoms and hers was, in fact, a loose negative battery cable connection. By all means check that first.

You probably travelled through some type of time warp continuum. Take a different route next time and see if it does it again.

Sure sounds like the switch to me. If it has not done this before now and you have not done any recent work on the bike, then the contact on the switch may be broken loose, but still making loose connection. My money would be on the switch. It is easy to tell, just wiggle the wires going into the bottom end of the ignition switch while the bike is running and see if it affects anything. Do it at HOME however, in case it does do something and then wont run afterward. You sure don't want this happening on the road.

Ed :unsure:

It was indeed a loose +POS connection, 10 min repair. Next time that happens I'm trying ODOT's idea...thanks for the positive input. It's Friday for me...H.A.G.O.

Glad :rolleyes: I was wrong about the switch being the likely problem. I guess I am paranoid about that damned switch problem just waiting for it to happen at the wrong time.

Ed

Latest posts