Galfer Rotors Vibration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'mAllIn

Reaction score
I jumped on the Galfer GB and got the whole kit-and-kaboodle. Problem is, my front brakes vibrates violently with the lightest touch of the lever at above 35 or so mph. The forks move so that I'm afraid they'll come apart.

I've taken the rotors off, cleaned them to surgical level, installed new pads, made sure the forks were true, etc, etc. Problem is still there.

I re-installed the stock rotors and vibrations are gone, brakes are smooth as should be. I should note that I sent my rotors back to Galfer for inspection and they are not warped.

The Galfer rotors are about 3/64" thicker than the stock rotors. Could that be a problem?

Also, my front wheel appears to be slightly, and I mean slightly, bent. I ordered a new wheel (bearings, seals, etc) yesterday, so I'll try that next week-end. But why would the stock rotors work fine if it's in fact a wheel issue?! Wouldn't that manifest itself with any rotors?

If you're running Galfer rotors (and SS lines), how's it working out for you?

Confused in Memphis.....!

If you've got a dial indicator, when you put the Gaffers' back on, check for runout. Maybe they are not getting mounted flush to the wheel.

I am another one with the same problems...

I was waiting to see what the outcome was on yours before i went through all this.

If anyone in my area knows how to check the run out, Please get in contact with me.

Hey Allin, We need to compare notes someday. Maybe meet in Hardy Arkansas sometime? :)

I am another one with the same problems...
I was waiting to see what the outcome was on yours before i went through all this.

If anyone in my area knows how to check the run out, Please get in contact with me.

Hey Allin, We need to compare notes someday. Maybe meet in Hardy Arkansas sometime? :)
I'll let you know after this week-end, assuming I get all my parts. I'm guessing a bent wheel is the culprit, but still don't understand why the problem only manifests with the Galfers. Maybe they bite so much more, who knows.

They may look purty and stuff......but, only when yer pushin the scoot down the road.