Motion Pro Synch Tool Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftBase

Reaction score
I just bought a new Motion Pro synch tool to go ahead and do the throttle body synch on my 06 FJR. BTW, thanks to all who'd posted the photo rich instructions. Informative and easy to follow. I unpacked the new tool today and assembled it, followed directions, didn't have any odd parts left over.

When I went to calibrate it, I used a vacum pump instead of the #1 cylinder to hook up the calibration manifold and adjust the columns of fluid. At about 12 in. hg., the fluid in each column was infused with bubbles, and it looked like a murky reading to me. Don't really want to trust it without a clean column of fluid.

Several hours later, there's still bubbles and spots of fluid in the tubes.

This normal?? Did I miss something?

I just bought a new Motion Pro synch tool to go ahead and do the throttle body synch on my 06 FJR. BTW, thanks to all who'd posted the photo rich instructions. Informative and easy to follow. I unpacked the new tool today and assembled it, followed directions, didn't have any odd parts left over.
When I went to calibrate it, I used a vacum pump instead of the #1 cylinder to hook up the calibration manifold and adjust the columns of fluid. At about 12 in. hg., the fluid in each column was infused with bubbles, and it looked like a murky reading to me. Don't really want to trust it without a clean column of fluid.

Did you add the restrictors in the tube ?

Crank the adjustment screws back to the lowest level of fluid in the tubes, take the thing in your hand and just sling it downwards, like you're trying to shake water off of it. Bubbles gone.

And it's not that hard to calibrate it to the motor. Forget the vacuum pump dealie. It's important that it calibrates to the same vacuum source that you're syncing, not theoretically the same.

Hmm. I wonder if the fluid is temperature-sensitive. It was quite warm (85-90) when I used mine, maybe if it's cooler the fluid is "thicker"?

Put it out in the sun and try again. You have sun in oregon, right? Sometimes?

I got one and had one tube do similar. I just blew in it a bit and hung it up for a day or so and it settled out. Wish I had bought the Morgan Carbtune.

Hmm. I wonder if the fluid is temperature-sensitive. It was quite warm (85-90) when I used mine, maybe if it's cooler the fluid is "thicker"?
Put it out in the sun and try again. You have sun in oregon, right? Sometimes?
It was in the high sixties when I tried it. We had our first full day of sunshine today, so that must count for something. Sure don't know when to expect the next one, though....

I got one and had one tube do similar. I just blew in it a bit and hung it up for a day or so and it settled out. Wish I had bought the Morgan Carbtune.
Yeah, I took it back to the dealer, showed him the problem and the photos of it in use (all day in car when it's 80 degrees out should have helped if it was going to.) and they gave me a full refund. Good folks at Portland Motorcycle.

I had the very same problem with mine and could never get it to work right. I bought the Morgan Carbtune and am very pleased with it so far. There is no calibrating other than connecting the hoses it's ready to go right out of the box.

Sounds like a design problem? Not good. Guess I'll stick with calibrated gauges..