Trunk Mount Recall?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
Recently I ran across a reference to a recall of the Throttle Position Sensor so I went to a local dealer and had them call up the serial number of my bike. It showed that it had been done. Then they told be about a recall on the Trunk mount and did I want to have it done. It wasn't going to cost me so why not. They ordered the part. Today I went to have it done. When I got the bike back I opened the trunk, got out my helmet, closed it, looked under to see what they had done. Then I rode home. When I got home I removed the trunk to see what had been done. The trunk will not go back on properly. It will not go down far enough to latch. I guess I rode home with it barely attached.

In looking at the work it seems that they put the plate on, on top of the former rubber feet so that there is a gap between the trunk bottom and the plate. It will not go down far enough to lock in place on the bike. Maybe this picture will help.

DSC_1065.jpg

My questions are these:

1) Is this installation correct?

2) How was it attached? I see no screws or bolts unless they are under the new rubber feet.

3) Should I fix this myself or take it back to the dealer?

By the way, the dealer is a well established company here, been in business a long time and have a good reputation. They have sold one (1) FJR in their history, so they are pretty unfamiliar with the bikes.

Mark

Take it back, they did it completely wrong. There shouldn't be any gap between the new plate and trunk. It's attached with a double sided sticker the same size of the plate. If you pull it off the adhesive will be crap.

JW

Thanks JW. That was my first thought but then I doubted myself.

This is a fantastic forum! Have a question? Ask it. Be prepared for some ragging if the question is one degree past stupid. (See some of my other posts). But even then, wait a few minutes and someone will give you a good answer.

I only hope one day that I gain enough FJR experience that I can add to the collective knowledge found here.

Mark

The dealer forgot to pull off the rubber mounts before sticking on the new plate. Theoretically, it should pull off rather easily since it's only sticking to 4 rubber mounts. plenty of adhesive left for the base.