1/4 or 1/8 drag race

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sullivan

Reaction score
I know I've seen FJR stats over the years here, but can't find them other than what I continued last night. Thought it was under reoccurring/neverending threads.

Is it reasonable to think that if any of us owners run dragrace occasionally, it would be under "racing"?

Thanks for your help.

Sull

1/8 mile: hot conditions to cool after sundown. Right lane, right groove, no burnout required. Not quite at .500 reaction but will get there. Best at 92mph in 7.94 which will improve with getting shift patterns stabilized.

Yes, I was the only bagger there. Announcer didn't read my card, so when he looked at the bike from the tower, all he could do is say it was a jap bike, probably a Honda, because he (and most others) did not see the Yamaha on bags. Ha.

Best run was last, plus took bags off to confuse people!

New England Dragway in Epping, NH next year (1/4 mile).

Yeah, I've hit 140 with this bike on the highway, but no cops at the track! :)

I found this thread using the search function to find other 1/8th mile times. I went this last weekend and ran consistently 7.36-7.45 @ 98-99mph for 12 runs. 60' ranged from 1.88 to 1.95 most about 1.90. Front lifted easily right from the start if I was too aggressive, usually I launched at about 4k with a clutch slip.

Bike was all stock at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
...New England Dragway in Epping, NH next year (1/4 mile)...
Call NED and get all the safety requirements before you go. [hot button] NED changed their rules a couple of year ago and now, due to the speed/ET of the FJR it moved up a tier in requirements. You will need leathers or clothing with sewn in labels that clearly state Kevlar, leather gloves and boots over the ankle. You will need a kill lanyard too. You can show up with .5mm disco dress leather, ass-less chaps, Draggin' Jeans with a Draggin' Kevlar shirt and they will let you run. If you show up with a high quality textile suit with CE armor, pant/coat zipper and proper rip-stop stitching --but-- it doesn't say Kevlar you will not be allowed to run :blink: I put Draggin' shit on under my suit and that works. Be prepared to take your pants off so they can see the tag that says Kevlar <_< You can add a pull pin safety lanyard that is wired to the run/stop button on the handlebar. I found that a Normally Closed kill switch can be wired in parallel with the stock run/stop switch. When you get to the track switch the run/stop to stop then insert the pin in the kill switch and you are good to go. The new rules aren't well thought out and I often really get into it with the track safety inspectors and have sometimes left very angry with no runs. [/hot button]

Hey Ionbeam, what kinda times are you running?

I hate the officials that have ridiculous rules. The little 1/8th mile place here didn't even look at me or my bike.

Easy on the clutch, no burn-out, all shifts are clutch shifts, results in 11.2x @ 121 mph. I'm proud of low 1.7xx 60' times, well balanced between wheel spin and wheelies. I did vary tire pressure but didn't pre-heat the tire (burn-out) because any more traction would have resulted in bigger wheelies. Better alacrity on the 1-2 shift would really help my times.

FWIW, when running against another FJR Forum member, I tree-ed him at the lights every time, I pulled him for the first 1,000 feet and he ran me down and passed me at the lights every time. Stock vs stock. He has me by more than ~20 lbs and 2" in height yet his stocker still out ran me every time. There are bike-to-bike variances and he got a better build day than mine, 'cause his final overtake was same gear vs same gear.

Remember your 1/8th times? Nice 60' times for sure. Was the other FJR a 1st or 2nd Gen?
7.266 @ 98.58 on a time slip posted in this forum. Most runs are typically in this speed/time range. I was running my '04 against another '04.

time_slip_2009_06_27.jpg

:)

Pickles,

Yeah man, once again that was an amazing increase in speed you had. What was the other bike you raced on that slip?

Also, what rpm's have you guys been shifting at? I was shifting right at redline, but think I might push it another 500rpms next time. Don't think the rev limiter kicks in till 10k.

Pickles,
Yeah man, once again that was an amazing increase in speed you had. What was the other bike you raced on that slip?

Also, what rpm's have you guys been shifting at? I was shifting right at redline, but think I might push it another 500rpms next time. Don't think the rev limiter kicks in till 10k.
That was my friend's Honda Valkyrie. Here's some video:

The last clip in that video is the exact race that produced that time slip.

I answered the question about when to shift a stock Gen II FJR here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=108817

It will be different for a Gen I FJR because of the different gearing and higher rev limiter.

Very nice. I went out tonight and the bike seems to pull really hard easily another 500-600 past redline. That little bit definitely felt like a harder pull than the initial 500rpms of 2nd and 3rd gear, so I am going to try that next time at the track. I gotta at least pass 100 is my goal, which would be near the redline of 3rd gear.