Wild Bill Highway Pegs Strike Again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
Well, what started out as a great day and very good ride ended very bad. Well, at least for the bike, at least I am fine.

Countdown to FJR extinction.

This was the ride to go help out IndianaTom and do some chores. There were 4 of us, Bill (FJRintheVille), Chris, (Jagermeister), Adrian (AdrianNKY), and I.

We hit the Ohio River Scenic Byway (62 and 66) in Indiana, since we were heading there anyway, and it ends right at 37, which runs up to Tom's house.

scenicbywayskyshot.jpg

A nice blend of scenery, twisties, and high speed sweepers. We were all riding well, keeping a fairly good pace. After about 2 hours, we decided for a short break to stretch, and check out the river.

While pulling my bike around for a photo op, Chris was attacked by a killer dog, it almost took off his leg.

chrisspet.jpg

He managed to stare the beast down, and made it unscathed.

IMG_7842Large.jpg

We lined the bikes up for these shots.

4fjrs.jpg

fjrdepthoffield.jpg

ohioriversharpcurves.jpg

It wasn't too hot, around 87 or so, but it was humid, and the sun was strong. I went over to the pavillion to escape the sun for a moment.

park.jpg

AdriansBike.jpg

We carried on North, with our next destination, Patoka lake. Unfortunately, we didn't make it. The pics don't do this turn justice, it wasn't anything crazy, but a fairly hard right. I probably entered at 50-60mph, not really sure. All i know is as I hit the apex, I felt confident, and thought everything was fine. My peg was down, but I scrape now and then, and it's usually fine. As I'm in the turn, I could just feel the bike start to float. The bike stayed somewhat upright, but I had no control at all, it just started to slide out, and then I knew I was f*&ked....

Inspection of the header and pipe indicated they never touched down. Bags were on. Look at the scrapes, and all I can figure is the wild bill highway pegs hit. They were folded up, and scraped to shit.

This pic just shows the turn, you can see where my scrape mark begins.

IMG_7865Large.jpg

Look at this pic, and look at the line of the scrape. You can see how I entered the turn on par, yet the line slides out. There is no way to contine to drag a hard part like that, and stand it up. The bike must have been litterally blanaced on the highway peg and tire.

cont1.jpg

Here you can see where the slider now touches down. In order for the path of the slider to change, but not the highway peg, the bike must have began to rotate in a lowside, with the rear of the bike turning towards the inside of the turn.

cont2.jpg

But look again, and what baffles me is the third mark, then up the road, you notice the slider hits again? I can't even figure out what the hell hit where.

A final shot of the overall trajectory of the bike, a little bit farther into the turn.

cont3.jpg

IMG_7863Large.jpg

Bike's totalled. Front and rear subframe done, both bags broke off. I watched the bike flip end over end once, before I started flipping because there was a bank off the road. Pulled off the front brake line somehow. Won't even start.

No pics of gear, but I know Adrian took some. He may post later. Firstgear mesh jacket, Fieldsheer Titanium Air III pants did great. Joe Rocket perforated leather gloved held up, but only because I pulled my hands off the ground immediately and tucked in. Oxtar Matrix boots scratched up. Helmet untouched.

I will greatly miss my FJR. I won't be replacing until I save up some cash, and go for a GENIII, if they ever make one.

The good news was, Tom's project was a success. There were some 50 people there, and we all got a ton of stuff done for Vonda. She was very greatful, and very happy to see the house transformed. It was like an extreme house makover show.

Oh yeah, get rid of your F*ing W.B. highway pegs. This is the same shit that happened to Jim Meadows (Spklbuk) if I recall correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you are OK, but that sucks about the bike. I have the same pegs on my bike, and have made a habit of never, ever leaving them down if I am not resting my feet on them. I also took out the curved washer that provides the friction to keep the pegs folded up, and added a lot more tension so they wont come down unless I force them down.

I hope you don't have to wait too long for a Gen III.

Glad to hear you are OK, but that sucks about the bike. I have the same pegs on my bike, and have made a habit of never, ever leaving them down if I am not resting my feet on them. I also took out the curved washer that provides the friction to keep the pegs folded up, and added a lot more tension so they wont come down unless I force them down.
They were in the up position.

They were in the up position.
The problem isn't with the footrests themselves but the peg pivot. That part is mounted solid to the Wild Bill aluminum brackets even if the pegs themselves fold up. I have dragged mine once but I was riding far too aggressively for the street when I did it but I leave the ground off pieces on so I can refer to them every time I even think about riding like that. But then again, I'm old and cautious.

Keith, sorry to read this sad news.

Glad you are OK, sorry about the bike. I have Wild Bill's pegs on my '05 and, in fact, have them extended an additional 1/2 inch but have never touched them down even while scraping the footpegs and boots regularly. I wonder why my set up is different from yours? Damn glad I've not touched them down, tho, after seeing your event.

Glad you're ok, sucks about the bike. This is exactly what happened to my buddy who tossed his bike because of those stupid pegs. His scrape marks looked almost exactly like yours, 70-80mph. Not a scratch on him, totaled FJR.

+1 on the advise: take 'em off the bike, or be damn sure you don't lean it. What blows is that without those pegs on your bike, you woulda been fine. :(

How ya feeling today, Keith? That bit of acrobatics I witnessed couldn't have been without some morning-after pain.

I was chasing Keith in #2, followed by Adrian and Bill. While entering the infamous turn (at agressive lean, myself), I saw Keith in the Fetal position, rolling into the ditch. Behind him, the FJR was flipping end-overend, spraying saddlebags, windshield and fairing.

Distinct plastic marks were on the pavement, as well. It looks like the bike rode on the highway peg & saddlebag for several yards, before hitting the ditch.

[SIZE=14pt]ATGATT.[/SIZE]

I am not so sure that it was the highway pegs. I have never touched mine down during agressive riding. But I do have Wilbers suspension front and rear, and with that, I rarely touch down the normal pegs. So the performance suspension obviously gives me more clearance. Was your suspension stock?

Glad your ok.

It was good riding with your guys yesterday until the crash that is... Being a newbie, I was glad I made the choice to ride within my comfort level and ability instead of trying to keep up. Got to say that the wreck shook me up and reminded me of what can happen. It also reminded me that I have two girls that I would like to see grow up.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Keith I'm very glad you OK.

I am not so sure that it was the highway pegs. I have never touched mine down during agressive riding. But I do have Wilbers suspension front and rear, and with that, I rarely touch down the normal pegs. So the performance suspension obviously gives me more clearance. Was your suspension stock?
Glad your ok.
Wilburs Rear, upgraded front springs.

I am not 100% sure it was the bracket, but that this is scraped to shit. It could have been scraped after the lowside, but what else would have made that distinct drag mark? It wasn't the muffler or header, those are clean. The saddlebag wouldn't have left a thin scrape like that. Doesn't seem like a peg would do that?

Jagermeister: Oddly, I'm not really hurtin at all. All those years of ju-jutsu helped me learn to fall, roll, and relax when being tossed like a rag doll.

Just to get this clear....

If one is going to go "SPORT-touring" (like really on the sport side of riding with extreme lean angles and pushing the limits in corners and exceeding the speed limits) one should REMOVE the travel pegs or anything else that protrudes, thus limits cornering clearance.

If one is going to go "sport-touring" (where it is unlikely the limits will be approached but semi-aggressive cornering at 60%-80% is likely) the travel pegs are not likely to present an issue.

If one is going to go "sport-TOURING" (a step above "touring" with moderate cornering, yet enjoying a more leisurely pace and stopping for photo opportunities and scenic viewing) then there is no issue with the travel pegs.

At least that's what I think I'm reading here.

I'm glad to hear you are ok thanks to all that precious run-off! Good on ya for having the presence of mind to pull in the felanges. Something to be said for your GPS mount as well, looks like it didn't budge.

Oh yeah, get rid of your F*ing W.B. highway pegs. This is the same shit that happened to Jim Meadows (Spklbuk) if I recall correctly.
It did, you do and I wholeheartedly agree. Glad you are up and about to tell the tale. Damn you sure are hard on FJRs. Try and keep the Blackbird rubber side down OK..

I too thought everything was fine well into the turn. Some super action heroes (those who have zero riding faults) will think that you just didn't take the turn right. I have been convinced since the moment first looked at my bike after setting it up that I would have easily made the turn had the highway brackets not been there.

+1 on the advise: take 'em off the bike, or be damn sure you don't lean it. What blows is that without those pegs on your bike, you woulda been fine.
Been there, and it truly does blow. Your advise sure gets my vote.