New North Texas member!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuicker

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I am finally going to do it thaknsto gas prices.. what an excuse to get an awesome bike! :)

I am a TOTAL newby when it comes to these bikes and riding. I have a lot of riders at work, so they are pretty excited that I am joining their clan :)

Quick intro, I live in McKinney Texas, work in Plano. I'm considering a new or used FJR for commuting to work and generally as a new toy.

I know the local Yamaha dealership owner so hopefully once my BMW 540 is sold (on autotrader zip is 75070 ), I can march in there and get a great deal... either that or score a preowned from the local owners.

O look fwd to speaking with you guys!

Kevin

Link to see my car:

https://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p...mp;rdpage=thumb

Good to hear....I'm a newbie myself. I just saw that a 2003 FJR popped up in the DFW area for $6300!!! Take a look on Craigslist. Good luck!

Welcome fellow Texan, You wont go wrong with an FJR. I just bought my second. Had an 04 just bought an 08 last month. its only ..."THE BEST BIKE IN THE WHOLE WORLD". if you ever plan a ride to the Austin area give me a halla

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.. man, I don't know what I was doing to type so many TYPOS in my intro. :) sorry about that.

I'm pretty excited too, I just can't wait to get one.. I've wanted a motorcycle for as long as I can remember!

I just noticed the banner at the top of this forum shows the models in order by year. So, an 03 model is white or silver? Guess I need to broaden my search on cycletrader.com . Is there ANY ADVANTAGES TO BUYING A NEWER ONE OVER THE OLDER MODELS??????????? I know ABS came into the picture.. is that it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Kevin,

Go to the FAQs & Common Historical Info section and there you will find this very important thread, along with many others, which contains a PDF called the Model Comparison Chart, which illustrates the differences between Gen I and Gen II bikes. There are many big changes to the Gen II bikes that you need to be aware of. It changes how you do maintenance and how you can farkle them. Having owned one of each myself, for me it was a no-brainer to get rid of the 03 and get my 06. YMMV.

The 03s are silver, a lighter shade than the 04s.

Welcome and good luck finding your FJR!

Kevin, first off welcome to the forum - glad to have another North Texan. I live and work in Plano.

Now, don't take this the wrong way but I think you should carefully consider getting another bike if you've never ridden before. The FJR is a big heavy powerful bike that can easily get someone with limited experience in trouble. I realize that someone on a forum isn't going to talk you out of getting the bike of your dreams, but I'm going to do my best to try. ;) I'm sure that most of the folks on this forum would have reservations about someone with little to no experience on motorcycles getting an FJR - stop a minute and think about that. Something like a Suzuki SV650 ABS would be a much better starter bike - lighter, easier to handle out on the road, enough horsepower to accelerate quickly and cruise at any speed you'd like on the highway but not so much as to accelerate you into a curb or tree or car if you give it a little too much throttle in an emergency situation.

Sure, the FJR is the best bike out there but I really think you should consider other bikes - at least for a year or so until you get some miles under your belt.

Whatever you decide, if you need any help by all means let us know, we'll be glad to do what we can and if you do decide to get the FJR there'll be no more lectures from me - you're an adult and are free to make your own decisions! :D

Kevin, first off welcome to the forum - glad to have another North Texan. I live and work in Plano.
Now, don't take this the wrong way but I think you should carefully consider getting another bike if you've never ridden before. The FJR is a big heavy powerful bike that can easily get someone with limited experience in trouble. I realize that someone on a forum isn't going to talk you out of getting the bike of your dreams, but I'm going to do my best to try. ;) I'm sure that most of the folks on this forum would have reservations about someone with little to no experience on motorcycles getting an FJR - stop a minute and think about that. Something like a Suzuki SV650 ABS would be a much better starter bike - lighter, easier to handle out on the road, enough horsepower to accelerate quickly and cruise at any speed you'd like on the highway but not so much as to accelerate you into a curb or tree or car if you give it a little too much throttle in an emergency situation.

Sure, the FJR is the best bike out there but I really think you should consider other bikes - at least for a year or so until you get some miles under your belt.

Whatever you decide, if you need any help by all means let us know, we'll be glad to do what we can and if you do decide to get the FJR there'll be no more lectures from me - you're an adult and are free to make your own decisions! :D
I really have to agree with Fuzzy on this. I love my FJR and can't imagine not having it in the stable. That being said, it is by no means a good starter bike since it can be such a handful. In addition to the SV650, I'd add the Yammy FZ6 and Kawi Ninja 650R. In addition to a more manageable bike, I'd also strongly recommend the MSF course. I took mine about 14 yrs after I first started riding street and still think I learned some good things.

Good luck.

I hear you guys. I considered the FZ6 as well as a V-Strom 650.. but then I start thinking, I don't know when I'll be able to get another bike... is it that easy to sell one once it's purchased?

I have a problem though, I'm 6'6" so some of the bikes just don't 'fit' well.. the FJR, like a glove. The bike isn't fast unless you pull the throttle.. right ?? :)

I am signed up for the safety course in a week, so that should help.

In college I hoped on a V-Max and took it around the block.. I didn't have any trouble :) , I've also ridden a dirt bike in my neighborhood before it was completed.. what a blast.

So, I don't know, I REALLY want to just buy the FJR.. but I will put some thought into the 650 for a first bike.. the closer I get to buying one I'm sure I will... if I can just sell my freaking car! DAMN!!!!!!!!!

I'm under the impression you should buy a car with good mpg ratings...........

that's just me, though.

You could buy a used bike in the 650 - 750 cc size. Ride it for a season and sell it and trade up to the FJR. I had a Honda shadow VT 750 for about a year , learned how to ride and proceded to wreck it in some curves. After healing up , I got this FJR and have throughly enjoyed it. It is a heavy bike and you just might drop it a time or two before you get the feel of it. I know I dropped mine twice before learning how to handle it at slow speeds. But go ahead and jump in because you aren't getting any younger and I wished I had started riding 30 years ago. BTW , I'm 53 yo. Happy shopping. Mark

I have to agree with some of the others about not getting an FJR for your first bike. I have been riding for over 30 years on everything from a 125 Yamaha up to Harleys, and still prefer to ride a seemingly smaller-sized bike (V-Max or Sportster 1200) for short range travel and only ride the FJR on road trips or non heavy traffic crusing. After 1 1/2 years of ownership, I still feel like the FJF is top heavy and difficult to manuver in close quarters due to balance and turning radius. However, it is the best bike I've ever had for over the road pleasure, riding comfort (after a bunch of "farkles"), performance and fuel mileage.

Anyhow, no mattter which way you go, have fun and ride safe.

:rolleyes:

kbuicker,

The FJR is one fine motorcyle, but probally not a good choice for your first bike.

I would suggest that try to find one to test ride before buying one and then discovering that

it's more bike than you need.

Be safe

Jerry

... is it that easy to sell one once it's purchased?
Yep, you basically have two options. First, trade it in to the dealer (many motorcycle dealers take trade ins) and take a pretty big hit on the price but don't worry about the details of a private sale. Second, sell it yourself (much much easier IMO if you have the bike paid off and title in hand) and do a little legwork advertising it (Craigslist, Internet forums, Cycle Trader, etc.), getting legitimate payment and taking care that the title is truly transferred.

I sold my FZ1 last year and it took me two weeks from the time I took pictures and put it up for sale until I had cash in hand from the new owner.

Yep, you basically have two options. First, trade it in to the dealer (many motorcycle dealers take trade ins) and take a pretty big hit on the price but don't worry about the details of a private sale. Second, sell it yourself (much much easier IMO if you have the bike paid off and title in hand) and do a little legwork advertising it (Craigslist, Internet forums, Cycle Trader, etc.), getting legitimate payment and taking care that the title is truly transferred.

I sold my FZ1 last year and it took me two weeks from the time I took pictures and put it up for sale until I had cash in hand from the new owner.
True, I'm finding out how fast bikes move on Craigslist.. I'm looking for a 2000 Honda Magna now for my first bike. I thank you guys for your input, I will take it to heart and get the Magna first... then the FJR. BTW I saw TWO FJRs this wknd on the road.. that's a first!

If anyone knows where a nice Magna is (like 2000 models) please let me know saveitk @ gmail.com (please remove spaces)

Kevin

True, I'm finding out how fast bikes move on Craigslist.. I'm looking for a 2000 Honda Magna now for my first bike. I thank you guys for your input, I will take it to heart and get the Magna first... then the FJR. BTW I saw TWO FJRs this wknd on the road.. that's a first!

If anyone knows where a nice Magna is (like 2000 models) please let me know saveitk @ gmail.com (please remove spaces)

Kevin

Good luck on tracking down the Magna and don't be discouraged, we'll still ride with you even if you're not on an FJR.

Kevin
Bravo! I congratulate you on using your head and not your heart for this decision. The Magna is a great bike for you to learn on. I look forward to your post about the new FJR you'll get after having a couple years of riding under your belt. And Marcos is right, we'll still ride wit cha ifn ya want. :)

I'm closing the deal on an FZ6....

Saw two FJRs the other day in McKinney... very nice.

I passed the safety course this past wknd!

The FZ-6 is a very fast bike but it's pretty manageable below 6k RPM. I had an FZ1 before my FJR and one of the guys I worked with had an FZ6. He let me ride the FZ6 and I couldn't help but notice how much lighter and more maneuverable it was than my FZ1. The 6 had plenty of power, but you had to get the revs up before they would come on. It's relativelty tame and nimble down low in the powerband and a real screamer with more than enough HP up high.

Well, bad news.. I think when I get home tonight my wife and mother are confroting me about wanting a bike... this is not good. My dad knew and called me to warn me. Ugh, guess I should say by FZ6! @(%(%&@!!!!!!!!!!!

The FZ-6 is a very fast bike but it's pretty manageable below 6k RPM. I had an FZ1 before my FJR and one of the guys I worked with had an FZ6. He let me ride the FZ6 and I couldn't help but notice how much lighter and more maneuverable it was than my FZ1. The 6 had plenty of power, but you had to get the revs up before they would come on. It's relativelty tame and nimble down low in the powerband and a real screamer with more than enough HP up high.