GIVI V46 TopCase mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoltar

Reaction score
Hi,

I need Your opinion, I have read lot of posts, and still don't know what to do...

Iam planning to buy GIVI V46. And I don't know which mount option choose.

1. Orginal GIVI rack:

https://sklep.scigacz.pl/stelaz-specjalny-g...05-p-12976.html it looks like:

https://www.fjr1300.info/mods/givi.html but it is ugly, and I have to dismount original one.

2. SW-Motech Adapter which is mounted to original yamaha's rack.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2012/

and it is looks like:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry371422

Price is same, so which one is better ? second option have a better look for me.

What is your opinion ?

Best regards

Last edited by a moderator:
I use that one from twistwethrottle. Occasionally I ride the bike without top case and I use to

remove base plate for top box which is vary easy to do it on this model. Takes only 10 seconds.

Hi,I need Your opinion, I have read lot of posts, and still don't know what to do...

Iam planning to buy GIVI V46. And I don't know which mount option choose.

1. Orginal GIVI rack:

https://sklep.scigacz.pl/stelaz-specjalny-g...05-p-12976.html it looks like:

https://www.fjr1300.info/mods/givi.html but it is ugly, and I have to dismount original one.

2. SW-Motech Adapter which is mounted to original yamaha's rack.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2012/

and it is looks like:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry371422

Price is same, so which one is better ? second option have a better look for me.

What is your opinion ?

Best regards
I have the Givi rack. It is not particularly attractive when the bag is off, but none or the others are either IMO. The looks can be improved with a little spray paint, but I have not bothered. To me this is a case where its functionality begets beauty. And with the color matched V46 on it it looks great, IMO.

I like the GIVI rack and would not switch it out.

FWIW I had a Yamaha trunk and mount on this bike for a while. I decided I did not like the Yamaha trunk at all and then switched to the GIVI. The Yamaha's liner reduces the usable space too much and the rack mount was too flimsy, IMO. While it's 100% subjective, I prefer the looks of the V46 and mount (on or off the bike) to the Yamaha trunk (on or off). I also had to cut two holes in the tail piece for the Yamaha trunk mounting. They are now plugged. You don't have to cut anything for the GIVI rack.

Edit: Followed your link to twisted throttle. To me this rack doesn't look all that great with no bag on either. And the rack attaches via the stock rack which has very little weight capacity.

6497-500x600.jpg

vs. this

2887230750098858932S500x500Q85.jpg

I posted this a while back..........

I used this one...... It's a Premier Cycles rack, for a GENII model.

As you can see I flush mounted it to the stock rack, so the case sits lower on the bike.....which makes it more areodynamic.

It mounts in the same fashion as the factory case (with the three holes) so spacers and longer bolts are required. This helps transfer weight into the subframe and off the stock rack.

I also drilled a couple of holes (though not in these photos) and bolted it to the back of the stock rack also, which helped to stiffen/support the plate. The universal GIVI mounting plate sits on top, and because of it's design, can be moved forward or back several inches to allow for pillon comfort. It is very stable, and I don't even know it's there (unlike the factory case). With the case off, you have a nice flat surface for straping things down.

topplate.jpg

sideplate.jpg

flushplate.jpg

The Yamaha's liner reduces the usable space too much and the rack mount was too flimsy, IMO. ....I also had to cut two holes in the tail piece for the Yamaha trunk mounting. They are now plugged. You don't have to cut anything for the GIVI rack.
That's the main reason that I don't want original Yamaha trunk. Second reason is capacity, and third that I heard they are sometimes could broke.

Edit: Followed your link to twisted throttle. To me this rack doesn't look all that great with no bag on either. And the rack attaches via the stock rack which has very little weight capacity.
Image1

vs. this

Image2
Well, You have right, on Your bike Givi mount looks really cool.

But I have silver FJR, Do You think it will be looks ok on mine too ?

I posted this a while back..........
Yes I know , I have read your post :)

I also drilled a couple of holes (though not in these photos) and bolted it to the back of the stock rack also, which helped to stiffen/support the plate.
Your mount looks ok, but I really don't want to drill any new holes in my FJR. So this is not sollution for me.

Zoltar

I agree with Fred, I have the Givi mount and it works just fine. Not the best looking mount, but then neither am I!

I went with the Givi, because at the time I thought that was the only way to mount the Givi box. I'm glad I did, because it turns out it's a steel rail vs the plastic factory rail and platform. Higher weight rating.

My '03 silver:

Givi-2.jpg

sectionthumbmv0.jpg

I went with the Givi, because at the time I thought that was the only way to mount the Givi box. I'm glad I did, because it turns out it's a steel rail vs the plastic factory rail and platform. Higher weight rating.
My '03 silver:
It is looks great ! I am definitely use this solution to mount v46.

2 more question.

What is a color of your GIVI Case ? Do You have silver colored or black ?

And to be sure, I need to buy only "GIVI SR346 - Case carrier", and what is the name/symbol of the plate that you are using ?

fjrgivi.jpg

They recommend E250 but I don't like it

giviplate.jpg

My '03 silver:

2 more question.

And to be sure, I need to buy only "GIVI SR346 - Case carrier", and what is the name/symbol of the plate that you are using ?

fjrgivi.jpg

giviplate.jpg

Yes. You want the SR346. That is the full rack. The other is just the adapter plate that can be put on someone else's rack.

Here is the best place to buy your GIVI stuff. Good prices. Great service. Free shipping. I highly recomend them.

$316 for the color matched to 2004 cerulean silver V46G753 and another $146 for the SR346. I also recommend the E95S Gel Back Pad (another $66) if you ride much with a pillion.

My '03 silver:

2 more question.

fjrgivi.jpg

giviplate.jpg
What shows in my picture is all there is to it. There is no solid flat plate. The box attaches with two large hooks at the front and locks down at the back. The key pops out a handle and a button releases the latch to remove the box.

My box is a color-matched silver E52 case (as shown in the second pic of my post. . . :rolleyes: ), which I got because I like the shape better somehow than the V46. It just didn't look as bulky, even though it's slightly larger.

Another view of the mount, and another view of the bike with case (click the little picture to view a full-size image):

Givi-3.jpg

Folks have said that you can't use the mount for anything when the box is off, like a small package or soft tail bag, whatever. I'm in the "So what?" camp on that, because I never ride without the case. Although I did bungee a car battery onto the back once to exchange it at the parts place.

Zoltar,

If you use the SW rack setup and carry a passenger then they will not be able to lean straight up or back. The rack makes the trunk sit to far forward. I had bought one and returned it.

If you use the GIVI, then you will take off the stock luggage rack and the GIVI is NOT color matched.

I went with the "FJR Topbox Rack" setup from premier cycles: https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/FJR...raphics_s/3.htm

Its very well mad and works great!

Rob

Zoltar,
If you use the SW rack setup and carry a passenger then they will not be able to lean straight up or back. The rack makes the trunk sit to far forward. I had bought one and returned it.

If you use the GIVI, then you will take off the stock luggage rack and the GIVI is NOT color matched.

I went with the "FJR Topbox Rack" setup from premier cycles: https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/FJR...raphics_s/3.htm

Its very well mad and works great!

Rob
For 1st gens, you need to drill holes in the rear cowling to mount that rack. Apparently for 2nd gens you don't.

Check out the stuff at Premier Cycle Accessories. I went with their stuff for my E52 and I have been very happy.

Rack

Mounting kit for Top Case

This was the cleanest install I could find. Basically you mount the plate to back of your bike and then put the little parts from the mountng kit onto the plate then snap your case onto it. It was a 5 minute install.

Easy

John

Yes. You want the SR346. That is the full rack. The other is just the adapter plate that can be put on someone else's rack.Here is the best place to buy your GIVI stuff. Good prices. Great service. Free shipping. I highly recomend them.

$316 for the color matched to 2004 cerulean silver V46G753 and another $146 for the SR346. I also recommend the E95S Gel Back Pad (another $66) if you ride much with a pillion.
Well I asked them about shipping to Poland, Iam not sure that they do this. But we will see, hope that they answer soon.

In fact, prices are good.

My box is a color-matched silver E52 case (as shown in the second pic of my post. . . :rolleyes: ), which I got because I like the shape better somehow than the V46. It just didn't look as bulky, even though it's slightly larger.
Now, thanks to You, I have mess in my mind :) E52 looks really good too. Until then I saw Your picture I though that V46 looks better then E52, now I am not so sure...

Thanks You All for Your opinion !

It was very professional and helpful.

rgds

Witek

Check out the stuff at Premier Cycle Accessories. I went with their stuff for my E52 and I have been very happy.
Rack

Mounting kit for Top Case

This was the cleanest install I could find. Basically you mount the plate to back of your bike and then put the little parts from the mountng kit onto the plate then snap your case onto it. It was a 5 minute install.

Easy

John
Again, as I noted above, what you say seems to be true only for 2nd gen installs. There are holes that need to be drilled to mount the premier cycle rack on a 1st gen making a much more difficult install. Clicky

Yes. You want the SR346. That is the full rack. The other is just the adapter plate that can be put on someone else's rack.Here is the best place to buy your GIVI stuff. Good prices. Great service. Free shipping. I highly recomend them.

Well I asked them about shipping to Poland, Iam not sure that they do this. But we will see, hope that they answer soon.

In fact, prices are good.
You fooled me. I thought you were in the US. I guess the " Bike: 2004 (N. America)" had something to do with that... ;)

Now, thanks to You, I have mess in my mind :) E52 looks really good too. Until then I saw Your picture I though that V46 looks better then E52, now I am not so sure...
The E52 is slightly larger horizontally (side to side and fore and aft) but a lower profile top to bottom. I really don't think you could go wrong with either one. Good luck with your purchase.

You fooled me. I thought you were in the US. I guess the " Bike: 2004 (N. America)" had something to do with that... ;)
Sorry , You were fooled by the Forum Engine :) I could choose only from "2004 (N. America)" or "2004 ABS (N. America)"

I have checked price of E52 in Poland and it is about $410 so You have much better prices :) I have to visit America :)