CalSci XL vs. VStream (Gen 2)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jagermeister

Reaction score
First, neither of these shields are recommended for riders under 6' tall.

Second, these are both good windshields for me, at 6'2" 32" inseam.

Third, some may disagree with my review, but I don't care.

Most of the first 10,500 miles on my Raven FJR were behind the CalSci XL. I spent about 500 miles with a CB Flip +4 +4, but decided it wasn't for me, and put the CalSci back on. While the CB Flip was good (it may actually be better for a 6' rider), it created more turbulence for me @ 1/2 up, than the CalSci.

The main reason I bought the VStream was not my dissatisfaction with the CalSci XL, but rather, my wife's. It didn't bother her as much in warm weather, but she was experiencing quite a bit of turbulence behind me. This was emphasized recently, as I've added a StarCom communications system, and noticed a LOT of wind noise (even after adjusting her mic setting) over 60mph.

Since putting the VStream on, I've been pleased with the results. As you can see in the pics below, VStream's curved shape creates a slightly more horizontal top edge. I noticed quickly that the VStream can be raised almost an inch higher than the CalSci XL, before turbulence becomes a problem. That's important to me, especially for winter riding, when I want as much coverage as possible, without cold turbulance smacking my neck.

Even when the VStream is in a lower position, I notice less turbulence. The visor ratchet of my Helmet was damaged a couple weeks ago (just ordered a replacement), and the resulting incomplete seal has made turbulence and wind noise more evident. After installing the VStream, I immediately noticed less noise and turbulence than the CalSci, no matter the shield position. This has nothing to do with shield height, as both are +4 tall (see pics below). Rather, it seems that "V" shape really is doing it's job.

Let's not forget the original reason for this experiment: Happy Wife, Happy Life.... Tiffany didn't even notice the new windshield until we were at high speeds. Across the intercom, I asked how the wind felt. She responded that it was calmer than usual. I already suspected that, since less wind noise was apparent in my speakers. Mission accomplished.

This is not meant to disparage the CalSci XL; it's a fine windshield. As mentioned earlier, if my wife didn't ride with me, I wouldn't have even tried the VStream, as the CalSci satisfied me. Both shields are vastly superior to stock, with the VStream edging out CalSci by a narrow margin, for this 6'2" rider. Other riders may have a different opinion.

Final notes:

The CalSci is still flawless, after a simple cleanup. That's noteworthy, as 10k of bugs, birds, and rocks (which have chipped my paint) would have damaged shields of lesser quality.

I purchased the VStream last month from PowerSport Superstore, who delivered quickly, at a great price. Other forum members have made similar comments.

[SIZE=12pt]Note the vent on the lower middle CalSci XL:[/SIZE]

DSC00360.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]CalSci is wider at the bottom, while VStream is wider up top:[/SIZE]

DSC00368.jpg

DSC00369.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]CalSci Profile:[/SIZE]
DSC00372.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]VStream Profile:[/SIZE]
DSC00375.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for a proper review. I'm not going to restate my own opinion about the CalSci (which agrees with JM's review.) I just want to thank him for the kind of information any rider needs to make informed decisions about aftermarket gear. I hope we all can submit reviews of this quality. A++. Cheers.

I hated the Cal sci and sold it within a few days of having it.

It created a "booming" in my helmet and would give me a headache within 20 miles

YMMV

Great review. I am similar in size and my wife has the same issues as yours. This convinced me to give it a try.

Very interesting review. Thank you for showing the side by side and overlay pictures of these two windscreens. I obtained my CalSci 35k miles ago and have been quite happy with it, however, I am open to trying new things if it shows promise. I always ride with hearing protection. I've noticed to ride with my visor open slightly the position of my windscreen is critical. Too low and the noise is greatly increased. Too high and it gets close to my field of vision, I look over the thing all the time.

I also noticed with the new Stitch with the back pad in place the wind pressure on on my back is more noticeable.

Thank you for your review Mr. Jagermeister, you piqued my interest. I may be checking it out within the next few months. My goal is a quiet ride, This may bring it to the next level.

Brodie

You made this quote in your first post. I'm 5'6" and I'm looking for an after market shield to help with some of the wind noise and turbulence. I was going to look at the Cal Sci Med. and the VStream.. Why aren't these sheilds recommend for anyone under 6' tall?? What sheilds are recommended? Thanks

You made this quote in your first post. I'm 5'6" and I'm looking for an after market shield to help with some of the wind noise and turbulence. I was going to look at the Cal Sci Med. and the VStream.. Why aren't these sheilds recommend for anyone under 6' tall?? What sheilds are recommended? Thanks

Both of these (+4 taller than stock) are most likely too tall for you. Since the difference between your height and mine is roughly 8 inches, let's assume 1/2 of that is above the seat. That means my line of sight is roughly 4 inches above yours. Now, when I ride behind either +4 shield, I raise it 2-3 inches at most, where the top of the windshield is just below my line of sight (exactly where it should be, for max wind protection). Since your line of sight is presumably 4 inches lower than mine, at the lowest windshield position, you'd be looking through these shields, or worse, looking through the top of it, which is distorting and dangerous.

Since windshield satisfaction is very subjective, and largely dependant on rider height, I'm really not in a position to recommend a specific shield for you. Keeping that disclaimer in mind, I'd imagine the stock FJR windshield is tall enough for you, but you want more wind protection, especially for cold weather. If that's the case, you may want to try a CalSci small or medium, or a Cee Bailey's flip +0 tall, + 4 wide.

Thanks for a great review JM. The primary reason I’m now riding the FJR has to do with my wife’s comfort. I was perfectly happy with my Honda 919 (ignorance is bliss) but my wife said that she was constantly worried that she was going to fall off the back (women as so spoiled). Thanks for helping me choose my next farkle.

Thanks for the insightful review. I haven't tried a Cal-sci shield, but do own a Vstream. I run the Vstream in the winter and put a CB +2high with flip on for the summer. My wife's experience is identical because she complained about too much wind when I made the switch to summer shield.

I'm 5'11" tall with a 32" inseam, but I ride in a slouched position so it effectively makes me shorter. I have no problem seeing over the Vstream when all the way down. For maximum wind protection I don't need to run it all the way up and I can still see over the top. My situation is a little different than a stock bike because I have my own version of Skyway's spacers installed. These spacers tip the shield back throughout it's travel.

I just sent back the XL to swap for the XXL. I'm 6-4 and I found still air if I crouched about 2 inches lower. Went w/ the larger shield for that reason. I'll probably only use it for trips and wintertime. The stocker is perfect for my short commutes to work.

Great review Jagermeiser! I just returned from a day trip on the fjr and would not go on the other with a stock windshield. Noise and buffeting are unbearable. After reading your review I went on the National Cycle web page to order a windshield and noticed that on your picture the Vstream windshield have cutout hole just like the Calsci. On the National Cycle photograph of the Vstream windshield there is no cutout hole. Do you know why and how critical is that hole?

Great review Jagermeiser! I just returned from a day trip on the fjr and would not go on the other with a stock windshield. Noise and buffeting are unbearable. After reading your review I went on the National Cycle web page to order a windshield and noticed that on your picture the Vstream windshield have cutout hole just like the Calsci. On the National Cycle photograph of the Vstream windshield there is no cutout hole. Do you know why and how critical is that hole?
Actually, only CalSci shields have a vent hole. VStream does not.

The vent probably has little effect. Air moves under the sheild from the bottom in much greater volume than through the CalSci vent. This upward air movement behind the sheild is important for turbulence control.

If you're 5'11" - 6'3", ride solo, either shield is much better than stock, and will serve you well. If you're over 6'1", and/or ride much with a passenger, the VStream has a slight advantage, IMO.

Since the VStream is only offered in one height option, if you're outside that height range, you may want to consider another shield.

Thanks Jagermeister for your reply. I am 6’ tall and I ride a lot with a passenger. So I ordered a Vstream. Hopefully it will arrive within a week.

Actually, only CalSci shields have a vent hole. VStream does not.

The vent probably has little effect. Air moves under the sheild from the bottom in much greater volume than through the CalSci vent. This upward air movement behind the sheild is important for turbulence control.

If you're 5'11" - 6'3", ride solo, either shield is much better than stock, and will serve you well. If you're over 6'1", and/or ride much with a passenger, the VStream has a slight advantage, IMO.

Since the VStream is only offered in one height option, if you're outside that height range, you may want to consider another shield.

I purchased the Vstream based upon your previous post on the subject and have been very satisfied as is my wife. I thank you and my wife thanks you for all the hard work and the great review. This is one of the great things about this forum.

Latest posts