Oil Filter Won't Come Off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murph

Reaction score
So I try to do a routine oil change as I've done countless times before but this time I can't get the oil filter off. Multiple oil filter wrenches ....and my brute strength... and it won't budge. I resorted to a giant set of pliers but I only bent the filter. Now the wrench doesn't even have a prayer of working. :angry:

Before I resort to calling a dealer, I need some help!

use a bigger wrench.....and if that don't work.....stab a screw driver through that yamaha drivin in piece of shit and turn that fucker out.

Got it! Some cussing, more strength, and another beer got the ^$&%^$& off! Thanks guys!

(Admin - please close thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
When all else fails...Drive a screwdriver through it.

(leaving enough room to go counter-clockwise)
I've done that on an old car and ripped the filter to bits. Then you pretty much have to trim it down to the base and hope a hammer and punch or cold chisel gets the job done without really screwing things up. I would never, ever do this again.

I use that filter socket thingy that You put on a socet wrench. Size "B" works Great. But I still drink beer :D

So I try to do a routine oil change as I've done countless times before but this time I can't get the oil filter off. Multiple oil filter wrenches ....and my brute strength... and it won't budge. I resorted to a giant set of pliers but I only bent the filter. Now the wrench doesn't even have a prayer of working. :angry:
Before I resort to calling a dealer, I need some help!
I did the same thing a few years ago on my 04. I had used the torque value for a Yamaha oil filter on a Bosch. Warning! Only hand tighten automotive oil filters. The Yamaha filter has an o-ring gasket and doesn't have as much surface contact as the flat gasket on the automotive filter. I stuck a screw driver throught the filter and it just shredded it. Very thin outer skin. I bought some oil filter pliers at an automotive store that had some really good gripping teeth

on them. Worked very well. Have used them more than once.

GP

08-0069.jpg

Never had a filter I couldn't remove

:p

In the future, push on the end of the filter while trying to turn it.

8 times outta 10 that's all it takes.

With all this good advice about how to TAKE A FUCKING OIL FILTER OFF!! I dont know why I should feel compelled to add anything to this conversation but... maybe a little common sense would be timely here :)

Dont even stick a screwdriver through the damn filter. That is just about the most dumbassed thing I have ever heard. Firstly as many have already mentioned, your likely to be removing the filter in little pieces. Second there is the risk of getting contaminants into the engine, like chunks of you filter for example.

the correct thing to do is to first use the right tool. second try getting you bike up to temperature, this sometimes will make loosening up the filter easier (did you replace it last time while hot??). Finally if this fails ride the bike into the survice department and have them loosen it. It will protect you from the grief of resorting to the screwdriver.

And for gods sake dont over tighten the new one. hand tighten it then just fire it up and check it until your convinced that its fine.

MO

One thing I have done for years is put grease on the filters "o" ring before installing it. Not oil, which glues the thing on after several heat cycles but regular grease of any sort, even vasoline works fine. Try it next time and you will see: a little nudge with a filter wrench and it spins right off.

I still can't figure out why that filter was so difficult to remove. I always dab oil on the ring and hand-tighten the filter. To remove, I use a filter socket that never failed me before and ... of course .... I always chant "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey."

It just took a few minutes away from the bike to cool down and then I went back to using large pliers which only further deformed the filter ... but some patience and perseverence went a long way and the filter finally came off.

I don't know why this filter gave me such trouble.

One thing I have done for years is put grease on the filters "o" ring before installing it. Not oil, which glues the thing on after several heat cycles but regular grease of any sort, even vasoline works fine. Try it next time and you will see: a little nudge with a filter wrench and it spins right off.
Thanks for the tip. Maybe it was the oil that glued the filter on.

I haven't had a problem with filters in a long time but when I did, I have even used a screwdriver and a small hammer and used it on the ring where the filter contacts the engine. Light taps on the ring in the direction of turning it off works well all else has failed. :rolleyes:

I really like this filter wrench, it fits the Yamaha OEM filter perfectly

It is marketed mainly for a Gold Wing if you are searching; just make sure you get the 2 1/2" version.

2065_image1.gif

Link

or

one with free shipping

And for gods sake dont over tighten the new one. hand tighten it then just fire it up and check it until your convinced that its fine.

That is probably the most important statement in this whole thread. Hand tighten people, thats it. You'll never have a problem taking a filter off if it's put on correctly in the first place.

Root cause analysis 101.....