YCC-S SH__47

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
Out doing some local shopping in the pouring rain (it's been teeming down here for days). Even in the rain I
love.gif
this bike.

Stopped to come out of a side road, moved off, accelerated, checked speedometer (it's a 30 area), saw an error code SH__47, and the ABS light blinking
huh.png
. Sh*t.

Bike seemed to be behaving OK, rode it home, put it in the garage, into neutral, took a picture in case it didn't come on again.

(click on image for larger view)

Tried engine off then on again, fault code still there.

Thought, OK, I'll ride it to the dealer (this was Saturday just on 10:00), just time to go tank up with fuel (it's on the blinking bar) and get there before his workshop closes at 12:00.

Tog up, jump on, start up, side-stand up, front brake on, select hand gear switch, click the finger switch, - nothing
exclamation.gif

Check everything, I'm doing nothing wrong, try the foot switch, still nothing
exclamation.gif
exclamation.gif
. B*gg*r.

Ring
telephone.gif
the dealer, arrange for him to pick the bike up Wednesday.

Indoors, do a search for the error code, come up with this:

Sh__47 Braking signal is not detected while braking. Able to start: Yes, Able to change gear: Yes

Was changing gear OK when coming home but won't change now.

Thinks: the code says it's a brake-related problem. Perhaps there's a connector problem between brake and gear-change ECU? First check the brake lights.

Turn on ignition, pull front brake, check brake-lights, lights on. Release front brake lever, brake lights still on. Huh?

Check rear brake, find it's stuck on. Force the lever up, brake light goes out. Ah,
blush.png

Lubricate lever

And, systems are normal
yahoo.gif

Still got time, go out, fuel up, get to dealer.

Explain the symptoms, as soon as I say "ABS warning light blinking" he says "Oh, rear brake binding".

I ask "Why not lubricated at service a week ago?" "Sorry, mechanic who did the service on holiday, he's getting married. But we always do the servicing correctly." (Getting married? perhaps his mind wasn't on the job.)

Assures me if I have any further problem, they'll sort it. And I have to say, they have normally been very good.

So, a new one to me, ABS light flashing means rear brake binding. I can only guess it's because the brake is on, but the wheel is accelerating, which the computer sees as a problem. And the Sh__47 code may also be saying brake signal detected too much (so allowing for open circuit or short circuit switch/wiring problems).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an excellent post. Is the issue particular to your 06 or is it known to exist with other model years? (and/or could it be particular to AE models as well?)

Glad u got it fixed.

Nice bit of info, thanks. I guess I better go lube that brake pivot :grin:

That's an excellent post. Is the issue particular to your 06 or is it known to exist with other model years? (and/or could it be particular to AE models as well?)
Glad u got it fixed.
I would assume it applies to all GenII years.

The SH__47 by definition only applies to AE ("AS" this side of the pond). I assume the ABS light is common to other bikes (maybe Yamaha only?) since my dealer immediately guessed the sticky rear brake when I said "flashing ABS light", and I know he's not sold another AS/AE, but he has sold other FJR1300A bikes.

I have an '05 A w/ ABS, and I know for a fact that my rear brake lever was sticking at one point as I found the rear brake light was constantly on. I don't remember what made me check the light. However there were no ABS codes thrown. My fix was the same as yours.

QUOTE (Fred W @ Sep 7 2008, 11:39 PM)

I have an '05 A w/ ABS, and I know for a fact that my rear brake lever was sticking at one point as I found the rear brake light was constantly on. I don't remember what made me check the light. However there were no ABS codes thrown. My fix was the same as yours.

Interesting.

The only time I've known the ABS light on before this was with the bike on its centre stand and the rear wheel spinning, when obviously the front sensor was giving no signal. Certainly not when I have trail-braked, so I can't explain it. All I know is the dealer immediately said sticking rear brake.

But if this occurs again, the panic level might be lessened, both with the SH__47 code and with the ABS light on, particularly if they occur together :mellow: .

I had a similar issue on my 05 and found it because my cruise would not set. But once I lubed up on the rear brake lever it fixed it.

I had a similar issue on my 05 and found it because my cruise would not set. But once I lubed up on the rear brake lever it fixed it.

...and yours is an ABS also, with presumeably no AVS errors when it happened. So the ABS errors when the brake pedal sticks must only happen on 2nd gens. Too bad... that would be a welcome bug feature.

Food for thought........braked pads swell up when wet......which will make the rear wheel drag....to reset warnings....unplug batt turn on head light for a couple sec..... :)

QUOTE (Bluebullet @ Sep 8 2008, 04:50 PM)

Correct behaviour :biggrinsmiley: , cruise control should unset whenever a brake :stop: is applied.

.....Even in the rain I :wub: this bike........

So, a new one to me, ABS light flashing means rear brake binding. I can only guess it's because the brake is on, but the wheel is accelerating, which the computer sees as a problem. And the Sh__47 code may also be saying brake signal detected too much (so allowing for open circuit or short circuit switch/wiring problems).
Not only did I enjoy the information in mcatrophy's post, I also enjoyed the delightful prose, and the slight differences in English... separated by a common language!

Thanks, Mate!

My 07 had the ABS light come on when the bike was new. It didn't automatically show a code on the display, just the ABS light on. Dealer fixed it quick with a rear brake switch adjust (brake light was stuck on).

My 07 had the ABS light come on when the bike was new. It didn't automatically show a code on the display, just the ABS light on. Dealer fixed it quick with a rear brake switch adjust (brake light was stuck on).
The code would only apply to a YCC-S bike, the "Sh" stands for "Shift".

The fact that you got an ABS warning with your stuck-on brake light does confirm this probably applies at least to '06 and 07 bikes (mine and yours respectively), which is useful information. Since Fred W's '05 didn't give an ABS warning we can assume there was a change between GenI and Gen II bikes.

Not only did I enjoy the information in mcatrophy's post, I also enjoyed the delightful prose, and the slight differences in English... separated by a common language!

Thanks, Mate!
Hey, what's wrong with my English? And, by "delightful", I hope you're not implying "gay". I'm a happily married hetero.

I am a bit anal about correct English, and I am used by a number of people as a proof reader, or as an oracle on correct grammar. Which doesn't mean I always get it right! The same people also have a good laugh at me when I get it wrong.

[rant] I hate incorrect spelling, grammar and punctuation. When I read, I don't read aloud then translate the sound into meaning, which makes the usual suspects of "its" and "it's"; "you're" and "your"; "there", "their" and "they're" very annoying. Particularly since in my brand of English, "you're" and "your" are pronounced differently, as are "their" and "they're".[/rant]

I have no problem with the differences between American and English spellings and idioms, but on both sides of the waters (and in our other ex-colonies) the standards have dropped dramatically over the past 20 years.

Keep the rubber side down, enjoy the freedom, the wind, the smells, the companionship of other bikers you see on the road, the occasional adrenalin rush as some b*st*rd tries to kill you, the sense of relief when you get where you're going safely.

Thanks, Mate!
Hey, what's wrong with my English? And, by "delightful", I hope you're not implying "gay". I'm a happily married hetero.

I am a bit anal about correct English, and I am used by a number of people as a proof reader, or as an oracle on correct grammar. Which doesn't mean I always get it right! The same people also have a good laugh at me when I get it wrong.

[rant] I hate incorrect spelling, grammar and punctuation. When I read, I don't read aloud then translate the sound into meaning, which makes the usual suspects of "its" and "it's"; "you're" and "your"; "there", "their" and "they're" very annoying. Particularly since in my brand of English, "you're" and "your" are pronounced differently, as are "their" and "they're".[/rant]

I have no problem with the differences between American and English spellings and idioms, but on both sides of the waters (and in our other ex-colonies) the standards have dropped dramatically over the past 20 years.

Keep the rubber side down, enjoy the freedom, the wind, the smells, the companionship of other bikers you see on the road, the occasional adrenalin rush as some b*st*rd tries to kill you, the sense of relief when you get where you're going safely.
+1 Good grammar is getting harder to find on the Internet. [ lol ] But I hear sarcasm is abundant, as well as poor spelling. :assassin: