TWN Tim Bates Avatars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malve

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone else is having a similar reaction to the use of avatars in support of Tim's memory as I am. I absolutely recognize and appreciate the motivation and meaning and in NO WAY want to question ANYONE'S intentions. For me personally though, I find it unsettling and prefer not to see his likeness or his past avatars being used the way they are. In no way do I want to upset any of you, but I do wonder if perhaps you can accomplish your show of love and respect and sadness for our loss of him another way. Perhaps a similar tribute on your signature line may work. I also do understand that some of you are probably using his likeness temporarily. I just think of an avatar as being your symbology and not someone else's

Frankly, I think Tim was such a big and important part of the site and the FJR community, that I would promote the idea that an image and tribute to him be permanantly and prominently displayed on the board somewhere (maybe his picture or maybe his last avatar). If we used his last avatar with the ribbon, it could serve as a tribute to all riders that have moved on yet with a special meaning relating to Tim.

Does anyone else feel similar or am I way off base? Be gentle if you disagree. I respect all of you who are using his image in your avatars greatly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot speak for the others, but for me this is a tribute and will be temporary. My personal plan was to return to my original avatar after Tim's memorial service.

I'm with you both of you on this 100%

"Frankly, I think Tim was such a big and important part of the site and the FJR community, that I would promote the idea that an image and tribute to him be permanantly and prominently displayed on the board somewhere (maybe his picture or maybe his last avatar). If we used his last avatar with the ribbon, it could serve as a tribute to all riders that have moved on yet with a special meaning relating to Tim. "

Everyone is dealing with our loss in his/her own way, i suspect that most of the said avatars will disappear after we say a proper goodbye in 2 weeks...

Although he will always be in our thoughts one way or another.

Every time I go my booze cabinet and see that unopened bottle of Jack in there of course i think of him (cause it was bought for him).

R

"Edit" Scab you beat me to it.

Respectfully said Malve.

It's also true that his memorial is over a month after his passing. That's a bit unusual.

I would expect...and hope...things will return to something resembling normal after that.

As admin I've found myself also worried about the proliferation of threads about Tim. That balance between remembrance & respect with moving on & FJRs. We should all try and work within the ones that are currently open I think and some will be closed after the memorial. ;)

I kinda like GunMD's tribute. TWN

I think it's very respectful and could be added to signatures or avitars or whatever...

My personal plan was to return to my original avatar after Tim's memorial service.
Exactly so.... my plan as well.

rsg.gif
will be back on Sept 29th....

Dale, I like the TWN you're # 1 on your sig line. Was that already there or new right now?

I, also, will go back to my original avatar after the services. With or with out the avatars, you can't do much on this forum without thinking of Tim.

My plan is to go back to my normal avatar after the memorial. Well said though, Malve.

My windshield sticker however, will stay.

I chose to keep my avitar but I wanted to remember Tim. That is why I have the icon in my sig. The icon will remain. It is subtle enough to be respectful, and yet, it will remind those who knew him that he has passed.

I also believe a lot of the sybolism for Tim will pass after the memorial service. We will move on, but most of us will never forget him... just the way it should be.

Ball suckers all of ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wanna bet Tims laughin at all of us??????????

Oh, Piss on yer sticker Gunny!

Mines etched inta my shield permanent eh.

Eat a fat one fellas

:jester:

I didn't know him, have never met him, but thought of him as a friend here on the board, with numerous conversations and jibes back and forth. A virtual tribute is about all I could appropriately come up with, having known him only virtually.

Malve, you bring up a legitimate concern, and I hope you feel better knowing how our tributes are intended. Amusing each other helps us comfort each other.

[SIZE=8pt]I know it's tiny and imperceptible, but that's Barney's face on my rider, and Tim's actual "you're #1" glove I stole from a picture somewhere and pasted into the GIF.[/SIZE]

Status
Not open for further replies.