2007 FJR Whistle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JETSET

Reaction score
My 07 FJR has a whistle a high pitch whinning sound it just started the only thing that I did was change the stock windscreen for the touring windscreen (Yamaha).I thought it was going to be it, but it happens when idling.Has anyone heard this sound on their 07?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a similar noise. I think it's the fuel injection. I just pretend like it's the Bat Cycle and wear a cape. :yahoo: I doubt there is anything we can do but ride and ignore it. :vampire:

The sound has most likely always been there and the new, taller, windshield focuses the sound and reflects it toward your ear. Just my guess, but if there is no other change that might be your explination.

My 07 FJR has a whistle a high pitch whinning sound it just started the only thing that I did was change the stock windscreen for the touring windscreen (Yamaha).I thought it was going to be it, but it happens when idling.Has anyone heard this sound on their 07?
Please see the thread I started a little while back:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;hl=whistling

Dealer says it is fuel pump or fuel tank venting and is normal.

Thanks for the input I have a couple of days off before my trip to Lake Placid I will investigate more.The fuel pump thing sounds reasonable (logical)enough but I know I wont rest until I find the source Thanks Guys.

Thanks for the input I have a couple of days off before my trip to Lake Placid I will investigate more.The fuel pump thing sounds reasonable (logical)enough but I know I wont rest until I find the source Thanks Guys.
Just turn the key to the on position. The fuel pump runs at that point even before you try to start it. If it is the pump you should hear it with the engine off and the key on.

When I replaced the original screen with the Yamaha touring screen a whistle developed. It was the lack of a gasket on the new screen. The gaskets are cheap; I bought several for future experimentation with other screens.

However...My '07 has developed a "whistle" sound that is confounding me. It is really more like ringing in the ears, or the sound a crystal glass makes when rubbing the rim with a damp finger. It is quite high pitched and does not vary in frequency. It sounds like it's coming from the instrument panel or forward fairing area. It starts about 30 seconds after startup and lasts five or ten minutes. Darndest thing....

Had a wind speed dependent whistle when riding on both my '06 and '07. Fixed by sealing the outer, lower, windshield colored plastic hold down bracket between the rear of the bracket and front of the shield with some window seal foam mashed between the two. Put tape over the area and see if it's the source before you try sealing. If it's at idle, you're on your own. GL.

Gary in Fairbanks

Edit: The factory gasket waz BS on sealing.

There are a number of previous threads on whistling sources. Try using 2" masking tape to cover potential sources one at a time to isolate which you have, such as the slot at the bottom of the windshield, wrapping the "W" at the bottom of the windshield, the venst outboard of the headlights, etc.

This bike moves a lot of air through the airbox to make that big power, so it also can be simply the engine sucking up the world's atmosphere.

Then you got drive whine to be confused with whistling...

High pitched whining?

Reminds me of an ex-girlfriend.

Also reminds me of that old joke: Why don't women skydive nekkid? :dribble: