Ignition fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRONAMISSION

Flying at the speed of smell ;))
Reaction score
This is to acknowledge Brodie (forum member) is Mcyver in real life :clapping: ..... he researched the parts, Fabricated a wiring harness and

we installed it all in the same afternoon!

We took pics and he will post it up soon.......

Thank you again Brodie!!!!! well done......

The ride home was flawless................

This is to acknowledge Brodie (forum member) is Mcyver in real life :clapping: ..... he researched the parts, Fabricated a wiring harness andwe installed it all in the same afternoon!

Looking forward to them! then you can come of the Peninsula and see if you can do it twice in a row

:rolleyes:

This is to acknowledge Brodie (forum member) is Mcyver in real life :clapping: ..... he researched the parts, Fabricated a wiring harness andwe installed it all in the same afternoon!

Looking forward to them! then you can come of the Peninsula and see if you can do it twice in a row

:rolleyes:

=====

We spoke of you and he will be in touch.... It is plug and play easy with his harness!!!!!

It plugs straight into stock plugs...SWEET :clapping:

Awesome! This will likely be a winter project for me, it will be interesting to see what kind of shape my switch is in.

Did mine yesterday- my one year old switch is in perfect condition- having it rekeyed today but that meant drilling out all six tamper proof bolts. The only problem was the two large ones which apparently were drowned in blue Loctite by the dealer who replaced the original switch- rough on easy-outs.

I'll post everything in due time, 4:30 comes awfully early in the morning. :dribble:
Brodie
Great job Brodie! I was wondering if someone would be able to find some harnesses and make a prototype of this critter. Yamaha is going to owe you big time. Looking forward to the pictures also.

I'll post everything in due time, 4:30 comes awfully early in the morning. :dribble:
Brodie
Great job Brodie! I was wondering if someone would be able to find some harnesses and make a prototype of this critter. Yamaha is going to owe you big time. Looking forward to the pictures also.
===

This harness he built, is just like a factory harness.. yamaha connector, soldered, shrink rapped... if you pulled my tank and heat shield off, you couldn't tell the difference .......

it really turned out great.........

B......

Ok

Here we go...

As promised...

*FJR Ignition Switch Relay

I built it to be completely plug and play.

The 70 amp relay is plugged into its socket. If for some reason it goes bad just plug in another one.

The ground wire features a bullet connection for easy service - no need to disturb the ground screw.

IMG_5374.jpeg

IMG_5374.jpeg

IMG_5375.jpeg

Remove the fuel tank to get access to this area. Unplug the large white connector only, the smaller red connector stays intact.

IMG_5375.jpeg

Plug in the relay harness connectors, route the ground wire forward through the frame tunnel and to the right. Lay the relay along side the main harness and secure with zip ties as needed.

IMG_5376.jpeg

The ground wire attaches to the brake line bracket mounting screw.

IMG_5376.jpeg

Button the bike back up and be on your way. It takes longer to get into this area than it does installing it.

My buddy Brian is one happy camper.

IMG_5377.jpeg

*Edit: For information about the recall switch go here...
The Recall Switch – What’s New About It?

Brodie
:)

Last edited:
Great job! Yamaha, are you listening?

Make some of these up and I am sure you can sell them here. I for one might be interested! I had my FJR in the shop for over 5 weeks at the peak of the summer because of the original switch. Would love that to be the only time.

paul from Minnesota

They can't even tell that I am standing there with no pants on

Well done Mcgyver........ :clapping: :clapping:

Fantastic Brodie!! That's what I wanted to do, but I couldn't figure out where to find the harnesses. Great job!

I noticed that you only spliced into the two 12ga wires and left the two smaller wires alone. That's what I did also, since I didn't see anyone else having trouble with the two smaller wires. However someone recently suggested using a relay for both sets of wires. I'm thinking that may be overkill, but what do I know? Any comments?

I would caution anyone who is currently having problems with the ignition switch that Brodie's plug-n-play fix is half of the fix. You will still need to get into the switch itself and resolder the two joints. But if you have a low milage GenII with no signs of problems, the Brodie plug-n-play may be all you need to keep the gremlins at bay...FYI.

Very nice job. Getting ready to do it to mine. It has been said before, This doesn't save you from a bad switch it just takes the load off of it so make sure you still have the ability to energize the relay to get home when the switch dies. I am considering mounting a switch under the seat for an emergency get home. For security purposes you would still need the key to get to it.

Latest posts