Going rates for 16,000 mile service?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zip

Reaction score
Wondering what all is included in the service and whether you think this number sounds right. Sounds high to me, but who knows.

Interestingly, the previous owner took great care of the bike, having it serviced by his dealer before each of the mileage indications for service. He left excellent records.

You should take it up with your dealer and make sure you understand how he got to the price. That's the best way to decide if you got screwed or fairly treated.

FWIW the 16000 mile service is one of the more expensive ones. They don't have to check the valves, but in addition to the stuff that's called out every 4000 miles, the service schedule calls for you to also change your plugs, repack swingarm pivot and steering bearings, and change your engine coolant and your final drive lube. If they do the air and fuel filters too, there are a few more things to add to the bill. And if it comes on a 2 year increment from the last time brake fluid was changed, it would be possible to have a brake fluid change in the deal as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can even change your own plugs. Doesn't take that much. Just have to take your time and go slow.

An 05' just hitting 16k? WOW... Almost at 16k and haven't had the bike 9 months yet.

An 05' just hitting 16k? WOW... Almost at 16k and haven't had the bike 9 months yet.
Some folks have several bikes, and an '05 hitting 16K in '08 could just mean that the other fellow only rode the FJR when he had a longish trip.

Thats me too! I,ve got an 05 with 17k on it but also have an 03 Honda Valkyrie that I ride equally

I bought the bike this month this summer with 13,000 miles on it, and have been proud of myself putting 3,000 on this summer. My commute is only about 15 miles, all surface streets. I haven't taken a single long "tour" yet. Just haven't had time. But looking forward to it in the spring. I'm planning to ride here in MA until there's ice on the roads, then it gets bundled for winter.

So for all the work it needs, it sounds as though the price is relatively fair, I guess. I will ask the dealer what's included in that. Very good point.

Some folks have several bikes, and an '05 hitting 16K in '08 could just mean that the other fellow only rode the FJR when he had a longish trip.
My dealer for the 4K service (which is less work than the 8K and your 16K service) was $300. I am willing to bet I will be paying what you are for my 8K next year.

4K a year is a very respectable number in my opinion for someone with a full time job. For 17 years I have averaged about 4K a year and that vastly exceeds most people I know. In fact, most Harleys never reach 16K due to all the posing and polishing. When I retire, I expect to increase my mileage significantly.

I bought the bike this month this summer with 13,000 miles on it, and have been proud of myself putting 3,000 on this summer. My commute is only about 15 miles, all surface streets. I haven't taken a single long "tour" yet. Just haven't had time. But looking forward to it in the spring. I'm planning to ride here in MA until there's ice on the roads, then it gets bundled for winter.
So for all the work it needs, it sounds as though the price is relatively fair, I guess. I will ask the dealer what's included in that. Very good point.
It isn't all that much work, really.

If you have a garage that you can work in this winter it would be really easy to knock that stuff out.

Just think how much closer you two would become with all that quality time together... :lol:

Is the dealer you are using Cycle$ $128$ ?
You gue$$ed it, Alan. Not sure where else to go near here. Don't feel comfortable doing this kind of work myself, though I will learn over time by trying a few things and reading the boards.

Zip,

I've only had one service done by dealer (TPS recall) but I had them change plugs and coolant while they were under there. I don't remember price but I know it wasn't unreasonable. Take a ride up the coast to G&G Cycle in Salisbury. Pretty good bunch of guys.

Doing your own work isn't that tough. I just did Throttle body Sync last night. Only takes 5 minutes once the tank is up.

Russ

My 25k deal only cost me 395.00 without the engine oil and the rear oil and anti frezze. And they had to do the cams plus everything else .

FWIW, my 07 just had the 26000 mile service, less oil and filter. It cost me $475. They did a valve check, TBS, changed coolant, brake fluid, rear drive oil, new plugs.