Less Expensive Alternative To Kermit Chair?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAFJR

Reaction score
I love the Kermit chair for motorcycle camping, rallies, outdoor concerts, etc. They're sturdy, comfortable and pack small (4" x 6" x 22"). Unfortunately, they're also rather salty at $119 each.

Does anyone know of a comparable but less expensive chair suitable for motorcycle travel?

Jon

The Kermits are worth it. Bite the bullet, you won't regret it.

One thing to note though - Kermit's are not terribly smaller or lighter than the cheap alum fold up chairs you see at placed like WalMart.

If you just want a stool, these are hard to beat. Nothing I've ever seen packs up as small and they are very comfortable, albeit they're a stool, not a chair.

https://www.byerofmaine.com/s-tri.htm

- Mark

Old thread, but figured I'd recycle. I want a camp chair for some upcoming trips, and figured there must be some progress and competition for the Kermit chair since this nearly seven year old post. And while there has been several new chairs, I have yet to find one that rivals the Kermit chair for comfort. During my off-road trip last summer on the Husky, a BMW rider packed his Kermit along and over the three days, it was regularly fought over and coveted.

Tried a Helinox chair today, and a Pico chair, the leading ADV suggestions for Kermit alternatives. The Pico chair was the closest, but it is pretty big to pack. The Helinox was super light, but not super comfy. The ultra-light aluminum chairs are high tech and interesting, and certainly better than having no chair, but after 400-600 mile days, I really don't want to compromise on comfort.

So I bit the bullet and ordered one of these, along with leg extensions and a cup holder. Nearly 200 quid, but the real crime was the shipping charge ($24). Sigh. I'm trying to convince myself that the longevity and comfort will equate to about $20 a year over the next 10 years. That's the thing with quality gear. Cry once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. I understand.

After riding most of a day getting to the camp site, there were a few things that were competing for top 5 or so to do. One, was a place sit without my legs split to each side of the seat. That was first order of seating. Second, I wanted something to lean my back against. Last, was a decent seat surface. Not top priority because a folded towel or what ever is at hand would work as a cushion. And if possible, some height off the ground to "ease-the-knees" when getting up or sitting down. I was usually stuck with a picnic table, stump, log, or the ground.

Maybe the "Xpress" chair would work. Two models...one with arms. They look light and appear to fold compactly, but I'd have to see one in my hands before a purchase. I think I saw them for $50 something. 250# limit or width of your rear.

Might just go with the small, low-to-the-ground beach chair styles. This are not high comfort but they are motorcycle transportable. Besides, you're camping,right!
smile.png

Any thoughts?

(200 quid? You ordered from across the pond?)

It was $140 for the chair, $40 for the leg extension thingies, and $20 for the cupholder.

I bit the bullet last year. I can only say no sense stressing on it just buy the chair you want in the color you want and call it a day. There is nothing that equals a Kermit cept a Kermit.

Here's my suggestion - Alite chairs at REI. There are two versions I know of - a smaller version that rests on only two feet - kind of a rocker deal called the Butterfly - about $70. Smaller, less expensive, but you probably can't take a nap in it. I bought the slightly bigger version (Mantis) with 4 feet so it sits like a regular chair. Packs incredibly small, something like 14" long, 4" diameter when in its stuff sack. I think it was $120 but could be cheaper with sale certificates at REI.

camping%2520chair%2520192.JPG

camping%2520chair%2520191.JPG

camping%2520chair%2520064.JPG

I bit the bullet last year. I can only say no sense stressing on it just buy the chair you want in the color you want and call it a day. There is nothing that equals a Kermit cept a Kermit.
My cool Aunt had a saying: "Buy the best, and cry only once..."

I have a Blue Max folding camp chair (webBikeWorld review), and while the price and size is right, the durability is iffy.

Wow, that Blue Max looks like just what I want. Good chair, good seating position, good price. Apparently about $30--if you can find one. Their web site says production is suspended. It looks like it might be a little bulky for a fully-loaded bike but I'd sure like to see one. Anybody know of an alternate source.

I have something called a Trail-Sling Ultralite chair that's kind of useless. The sitting position is laid back, so it's no good for eating or sitting around a fire (you could warm your knees up ok, I guess). Really only good for reading, but the lower rail is right under your thighs, which gets old fast. PITA to get into and out of too. If I've convinced you that you need one of these, too bad. Their web site says "out of stock--no longer available." Looks like they stopped making them, for some reason . . .

TSUGRY.jpg

I tried a few of the REI Alite chairs. Well made, and very travel friendly. But I could never really relax in them. Too low to the ground, making it a bit hard to exit, and lean too far back and you'll tip. Plus the mesh type fabric suspends you, and it never really let me relax. It was certainly better than a cheap chair chair, or having to sit on a picnic bench, but not in the same comfort league as the Pico and the Kermit. I think these REI chairs work better if you b/t 140-180lbs.

I have the alite monarch. Love the chair, kick back with your feet up and you can nap in it. 3 or 4 glasses of wine at the camp site and it is a little tough getting up though...

Kermit chair showed up today. I watched the setup video a few days back and had the chair and extension legs set up in under 2 min. No regrets at all, it's a very well made piece, as it should be for the cost.

Things I might do differently:

- order the black leg extensions and canvas to match my FJR

- consider the wider chair option. With bulky riding pants, it would be a better choice. If sitting with just reg pants, no issues. Alternatively, go on a diet.

- consider adding custom embroidery. Something like:

"Not Hudson? Then get the &$@! out of my chair."

Kermit Chairs are offering 15% off but only through the end of march. Use the code ADVRIDER2014 and select the "add a coupon" option at checkout. They have only offered a discount once before.

Since the diet is not working out like I planned, I ordered a wide chair, and now missus Hudson has a chair to herself.