Best year for FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadstar

Reaction score
I know it`s friday so What is the best year to buy & what year has the fastest color

Gerard

Last edited by a moderator:
2004, non-ABS.

This is the finest motorcycle of all FJRs ever produced in the History of Man.

True story.

I'd have to say.... All of em.

With the exception of a certain Pacific Northwest Based '04

It's aboot as sissified as it's owner!

:fuck:

Whew... glad I have a crusty 2003 bike! :D

Which was not the best FJR model year produced... though it is the quickest model year.

The best year to buy is 2008. New is better than used.

Used, all 2006 models should be broken it by now, as this works well as the best looking color of course is the Cobalt Blue '06.

As for what year is the best bike, not specificly centered on color, I'd go with WC on this one. Not that I think any particular year is the "best bike" but it was the sultery lines of a '04 that got me hard the first time I saw a FJR in person up close.

It was that model that began the yearnig, or lust, that eventualy led me to aquire one of these heavenly machines for myself. Luckily for me the finances worked out in such a way that I could buy a new 2006 model (the one with the best looking color)

Blue of course is the fastest color, but the fastest FJR was the 03 I hear.............

KM

I know it`s friday so What is the best year to buy & what year has the fastest color :yahoo:
Gerard
Maybe I'm missing something here. I thought that DPF was going to be resurrected in honor of TWN. If I'm correct, Roadstar put out the bait, but no one took it. Correct Roadstar?

2004, non-ABS.

True story.
Can you explain ???? I`m most likely going to get ABS (short story but won`t get into it) I thought 03-05 was the same & 06-09 was the same (except the AE of course) & color difference.

2004, non-ABS.

True story.
Can you explain ???? I`m most likely going to get ABS (short story but won`t get into it) I thought 03-05 was the same & 06-09 was the same (except the AE of course) & color difference.
You have been living a dream, sir. They certainly LOOK the same. Have you read this? Even where it says "No Significant Changes" there were upgrades or updates in the computer/ECU to improve (and that's questionable) "drive-ability".

I originally owned one of the "finest motorcycles of all FJRs ever produced in the History of Man". I still miss that bike (silly, huh?) and currently own an '05 ABS.

I'm gonna have to agree with Warchild 'n his Wheatness.

My 04 makes me feel funny - you know, down there... just thinking about it. Come to think of it, I haven't so much as had the sniffles since I got it - 04 FJR's prevent the common cold!!

QUOTE (Knifemaker @ Nov 21 2008, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The best year to buy is 2008. New is better than used.

Used, all 2006 models should be broken it by now, as this works well as the best looking color of course is the Cobalt Blue '06.

As for what year is the best bike, not specificly centered on color, I'd go with WC on this one. Not that I think any particular year is the "best bike" but it was the sultery lines of a '04 that got me hard the first time I saw a FJR in person up close.

It was that model that began the yearnig, or lust, that eventualy led me to aquire one of these heavenly machines for myself. Luckily for me the finances worked out in such a way that I could buy a new 2006 model (the one with the best looking color)

Blue of course is the fastest color, but the fastest FJR was the 03 I hear.............

KM

From a thread I replied to in Dec 2006:

QUOTE (Warchild @ Dec 5 2006, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay.... now that all the comedians have provided their humor, I'll tell you the truth of the matter.

Which, of course, will piss off a lot of folks. Believe me, if there's anything I've learned crawling around this planet the past 5 decades, it's this: nothing pisses people off faster than hearing the Truth. Absolutely nothing.

So... here you go:

QUOTE (FJRay @ Dec 4 2006, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are all wrong. The 03 silver is the fastest. It uses different cams,injectors and computer. You just read it on the internet so it must be true and I think the parts book agrees.

FJRay is not too far off the mark here. However, it's not that the 2003 model years are faster, because they are not. They have the same top end as the '04-'05 bikes.

However, the 2003 model year bikes are quicker than all other model years. They are quicker off the line, and they have better roll-on power than all subsequent year FJRs. But they are no faster (top end speed) than the '04-'05 bikes, all other things being equal.

Of course, these statements bring out the ire in '04-'05 owners, who immediately demand that this *must* be proved with scientific, rigorously double-blind testing, including repeatable dyno runs under identical conditions, yadda-yadda-yadda. Otherwise, it can't be true.

Uh.... yeah. Okay, whatever.....

What these owners don't have is the first-hand experience of assembling and test-riding dozens and dozens and dozens of FJRs for every model year since 2002. I have. And have personally owned a 2004 and a 2003 FJR.

The fact is... the 2003's are quicker than the '04-'05 non-ABS bikes. Every single one has behaved the same during it's initial test ride (remember the "all things being equal" part.... brand new, out-of-the-crate bikes every year).

So while a 2004 Cerulean Silver non-ABS owner and a 2005 Galaxy Blue non-ABS owner will *always* claim they have the faster bikes, they don't. WRT top end speed, all are the same; it's just that the 2003 bikes have more "get-up-and-go" as they come off the line, or while doing a 40-60mph roll-on during overtaking, or other power maneuver.

The Gen II bikes are slightly less quick off the line, and slightly less top end speed than all previous model year FJRs. This is primarily do to their weight gain and final drive gearing change