Can I import a motorcycle from Canada?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrb0

Reaction score
Not sure this is the right place for this post, so Admins, feel free to move it as necessary.

My question relates to the Honda Varadero, which is available in Canada. Could I fly to Canada, buy the bike (new) there and ride it home? What legal issues would I have? Is it legal? Would I be able to license it in the good ole USA? :to_keep_order:

Its possible, but the cost and the headaches make it prohibitive from what I've heard. Better to just buy from the US of A.

Thanks, that was helpful. Hard to understand the guv'ment legal BS, but sounds difficult to get a bike or car back. Bike I am looking at is not available in the US.

Know of anyone that has ridden an FJR all the way to Prudhoe Bay? That's the long range plan...

Hello fjrb0,

There was a fellow from San Diego, Brian Galloway, who rode his FJR to Prudhoe Bay - and back home - in the summer of 2006.

Check his blog here.

He was on a Microsoft blurb-thingy being interviewed.

For importing a motorcycle you might search on advrider.com. I read of a guy who bought a KLR650 in Canada, when they were cheaper here, and took it back to the US.

Len

Last edited by a moderator:
There've been a few FJRs to Alaska and back.

As for importing a bike that was never sold in the US, people have done it but you have two hurdles that are extremely tough and/or expensive to get past. There's a Federal safety requirement, a State safety requirement, and a pollution (EPA) requirement. Basically, you need to be able to prove that you have the US-approved lights (style and bulb), horn, speedo, etc. Then you need the EPA approved muffler(s) and to have passed the pollution tests.

I looked at it a few years ago for importing a Honda Trans Africa twin that I found in Montreal and the hassle wasn't worth it.

Bob

I am a Canadian and most of the time we are importing bikes from the US. I suggest that you do a search on one of the search engines such as alltheweb.com and look for importing vehicles. For Canada we have a RIV which is a registrar of imported vehicles. The site has all the information you can handle and describes the steps necessary to import. With the difference in the exchange rates between the two countries it might be a good time to chech this out. Good luck.

Gary

Yeah, my smart and frugal brother cut a fat hog when he saved $800 buying a Bandit in Calgary. However, bonds, fees, new instrument cluster (you can't just change the dial face), etc. set him back $600... and the travel, rooms, meals, another $200, plus about a three-hour delay at the border, sooooo...yup, it was a wash. But we did enjoy a good Thai meal and some fine blues.

Importing a motorcycle to the U.S.: My experience is that it is/is not possible.

I tried and was thwarted by EPA/DOT -- the motorcycle didn't have the required certificates and was not allowed. BMW says that they provide North American motorcycles that are the same (legally) for U.S.A. and Canada -- but, only have the stickers (and certification) for the country for which they're intended to be sold. Ostensibly, you can get the importer to provide you with the correct documentation for the licensing bureau -- I couldn't.

Alternatively, you can state (written/signed document) that the m/c in question is for racing only -- off highway use only. Then, somehow, later fudge a title of some kind (w/paper from a crashed bike, or...?).

Then again, I personally know a guy who brought in a Canadian motorcycle and licensed it and rides it around. When I asked him about it, he said he had it in the back of a pick-up in the middle of the night at a remote border crossing (and drizzling rain, too, IIRC) and all the paperwork was signed and passed. I still don't know how he got it through the DMV/MVD? But, he did.

Then, when all else fails, there's a company (actually, 2 guys) in Washington D.C. that will walk your vehicle through EPA/DOT certification. One guy is a mechanic who certifies the necessary modifications have been made; while the other guy wines and dines the bureaucrat as necessary to insure all the paperwork is in-order. This all costs considerable money -- your money. Yet, I personally know a guy currently riding a non-U.S. certified Russian bike done this way (he bought it in Finland).

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easier to go from US to Canada. All that is neccessary is a "No Recall" letter or be on the approved vehicle list and pay the $220 to the Gov for bringing the bike in, along with the appropriate DUTY, PST and GST....

The bike is also different with the chipped keyed system. If you would have any issue with this across the border you would be screwed for support I am guessing.

I have a Canadian 2007 and would have gladly taken a US model but they said no warranty support across the border. I heard that there was a couple of Yammy dealers who lost their Yamaha dealership's because of it..

I am sure you would find a much better deal in the US. New bikes list from $16,500 + up here.

Good luck..

Guess I'll just use my massive influence and charm and tell Honda to start importing the damn cycle into the good ole US of A! Kind of like how did Europe get the FJR before we did?

I am sure you would find a much better deal in the US. New bikes list from $16,500 + up here.
Good luck..
List for the FJR is is C$19,100 - these days that's less than $15,500. And you can find brand new '08s selling for less than C$15K, which is about $12,150 - including that $1000 immobiliser and the $350 heated grips.

Then again, this thread is about a bike that is made of 'unobtanium' as far as the U.S. is concerned.

Then again, this thread is about a bike that is made of 'unobtanium' as far as the U.S. is concerned.

Truly a very rare material. Now that is funny!!! :D

Not sure this is the right place for this post, so Admins, feel free to move it as necessary.
My question relates to the Honda Varadero, which is available in Canada. Could I fly to Canada, buy the bike (new) there and ride it home? What legal issues would I have? Is it legal? Would I be able to license it in the good ole USA? :to_keep_order:
The big Moto Guzzi place in PNW has a new, non-current, Aprilia Capo Nord for sale -- same-same Varadero.

You might try the Steve McQueen technique... find a few hills along the border fence and get up a head of steam! He had that fat old german warbike and did just fine! Surely the newer Honda version could get better air...

Good luck

Try calling a canadian motorcycle dealer that's close to the border. If anyone would know, they would. My cuzz'n and I were about to buy a couple of dirtbikes from a Vancouver dealer about 5 years ago and he was going to handle all the paperwork(small fee). We would have saved about $900.00 on both bikes. Warranty was not a concern as there is none on off-road bikes.

I would imagine a street bike would be more of a hassle, like one other poster mentioned, you'll have a speedo that reads KPH instead of MPH.

you'll have a speedo that reads KPH instead of MPH.
The MPH will just be on the inner circle on the speedo. I have gotten used to reading my U.S bike in MPH because I can't see the KPH (too small)
Canadian bike have only km's not miles on the speedometer. At lest my 06 is that way and I don't remeber ever seeing one for the Canadian market that wasn't.