Which battery?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
It's time. Installed the Brodie bypass today and tried to fire it up. It had been sitting for about a couple weeks, and uptill Thursday was on a tender. (needed the extension cord so it wasn't tendered the last few days).

The first few seconds of cranking alerted me to the fact that I hadn't plugged the fuel pump back-in (doh).

After that it wouldn't start, battery too low, so it's time to replace the original 06 Bat.

Do you have to manufacture terminals for either of these? I know the Odyssey uses a different post arrangement.

-MD

Westco battery gpt it frm jeff at Bieffects great tp dp business with ,the battery is delivered to your door step in about 3 days. Now that is sevice and convience.

I will be putting a Yuasa battery on my FJR next year when I need a new battery.

Yamaha - FJR1300 2003-2007 1300cc

Battery Family: Factory Activated, Maintenance Free

Battery Type: YT14B-4 (YT14B-BS)

Voltage: 12

Capacity: 12

Dimensions: 6 " x 2 3/4" x 5 3/4"

Weight: 10.1 lbs.

Metric Dimensions: 152mm x 70mm x 145mm

Metric Weight: 4.6 kg

Polarity:

Acid Volume: N/A

Amps: 1.2

C.C.A.: 135

I will be putting a Yuasa battery on my FJR next year when I need a new battery.

Polarity:

I agree that the Yuasa is probably the best battery, but the price is quite a bit more than the Westco. If you can afford the extra bucks go for it.

GP

I know the Odyssey uses a different post arrangement

I was unaware Odyssey made a compatible battery to fit the FJR. Do you know the model number?

I know the Odyssey uses a different post arrangement
I was unaware Odyssey made a compatible battery to fit the FJR. Do you know the model number?
I don't a part number (yet) but it seems to me they have to have one that fits. I plan on calling them tomorrow. I'll look at the Yuasa battery too..

I thought I had read here online that someone had figured out the Odyssey battery part number but I can't find it. It would be my preference followed by the Westco I think.

-MD

I know the Yuasa batteries cost more but I've personally had much better luck with my WestCo one than the two previous Yuasa ones...dont know why nut just my .02 and they cost less to boot.

Well the good news is... After sitting all night on the tender it fired right up this morning. But I still need a new bat. I've had two instances of non-starting/quick drain and I don't like that. I don't have a lot of high drain accessories, and the last dead incident was in the middle of summer around NAFO time in the badlands.

If I figure out the Odyssey part number I'll post it, if they don't have anything to offer I'll order up a WestCo from Jeff.

-MD

I've had two instances of non-starting/quick drain and I don't like that.
Me too.

I need to do a post and get some forum help. I don't think my problem is the battery, as it was replaced in July, but it sure acts like a bad battery. My guess is I have a worn out starter. Whatever my problem is it is slowly getting worse and I need to figure it out soon.

BTW, I was in a hurry when I got my battery as I was leaving for NAFO the next day so I went down to a Batteries Plus store and got whatever no-name brand they stock. Me personally, I wouldn't pay for the Yuasa or Odyssey. I would get the WestCo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put a WestCo in from Bike Effects. Jeff is great to deal with and I'm happy with battery. I use my Battery Tender only when I must sit the bike like NOW (freaking snow). :)

Dave

PS. The stock battery lasted until this late fall. I was starting to periodically get trip resets.

Polarity:

2006fjr

I noticed you have a Bill Mayer saddle. I am planning on riding up in Jan to have one made. Looking for input. I can ride about 2 hours on the stock before the numbutt starts to set in. I rode up to Eureka and back in Sept to try the new bike out before any big changes. I am 6'4" and the stock bars are fine and high seat setting works well, just would like to extend seat time without getting sore. I would love to connect up and check out all the improvements to your bike. I live in College Park, Irvine. If possible let me know [email protected]

beg

Polarity:

2006fjr

I noticed you have a Bill Mayer saddle. I am planning on riding up in Jan to have one made. Looking for input. I can ride about 2 hours on the stock before the numbutt starts to set in. I rode up to Eureka and back in Sept to try the new bike out before any big changes. I am 6'4" and the stock bars are fine and high seat setting works well, just would like to extend seat time without getting sore. I would love to connect up and check out all the improvements to your bike. I live in College Park, Irvine. If possible let me know [email protected]

beg
Check your email. I would be happy to met up. I ride up to Hell's Kitchen every Sunday for breakfast if you are interested? I am 6'5" so I am sure we might have some of the same challenges. I am about a mile north on Sand Canyon off the 5 freeway in Irvine.

As for the seat, I have done 2 10-day rides over the last 3 months and I could easily ride 2-up for 12-14 hours a day with stops for gas and food only. Bill Mayer is also a big guy and has a seat called the Evolution (I think) that is very dense. Most people sit on my seat and they tell me it is flat and hard but it is perfect for me since I am about 300 pounds. Each seat is 30 amps (60 total) and is hooked up to the Blue Sea under the seat. The heat these seats put out are unreal and will keep you warm into the low 20's. /hijacking

Here's another vote for Yuasa. Based on my very unscientific studies they just seem to last longer. Still am running the original Yuasa in my '03 VTX and it shows no sign of problems. Had a Deka battery in my Valk that only lasted three seasons before it wouldn't hold a full charge anymore.

Isn't the Yuasa what comes in the bike to begin with? I certainly don't want another one of those if it is.

I just got off the phone with the Odyssey folks and sadly, they do not have one that will drop in.

However, they claim that:

Model PC535 can be made to fit by trimming down the 'fins' on the sides and bottom.

pc535lg_02.jpg

They claim a number of Police departments do exactly this to get the battery to fit in their ST1300's.

Has anyone else tried this? Will I be the first if I do?

Suggestions on what to do the trimming with?

IF not I'll order up a WestCo.

-MD

Isn't the Yuasa what comes in the bike to begin with? I certainly don't want another one of those if it is.
I just got off the phone with the Odyssey folks and sadly, they do not have one that will drop in.

Model PC535 can be made to fit by trimming down the 'fins' on the sides and bottom.

pc535lg_02.jpg

They claim a number of Police departments do exactly this to get the battery to fit in their ST1300's.

-MD
My original yuasa did not last very long...

My original yuasa did not last very long...
Hmmm...interesting, I've always had good luck with Yuasa's. I'll have to see how long the battery in my '08 lasts. I did notice that of all the bikes I own/have owned, the FJR battery seems to be the smallest. That and what loads are run against it might have something to do with its life span.

pc535lg_02.jpg

-MD
I haven't had to replace the battery in my FJR yet. Hopefully, it will last another 2-3 years (at least), but I have bought (and use) Odyessey batteries. Good batteries! There is one in my BMW that I bought in 2003 (bought it for less than the BMW replacement would cost) that's still going strong. Put another in my riding lawnmower a couple of years ago; no problems there either.

If I had to trim one to fit, my first "inkling" would be to carefully (not too much pressure) mount it in a vice between a pair of 2x6 blocks and try carefully trimming it down with a belt sander. Mount the battery with the side you want to trim upward and position it in the 2x6s so they can be used as a guide for doing the trimming. The Odyesseys are gel and can handled/mounted safely in any position.

HTH & Good Luck

Dave

I have the original battery in my '05, and it's still going strong, but I only have 33K miles on the bike (been taking lessons from BrunDog :) ). I do put it on a battery tender on occasion. Hearing that other riders are on their 2nd or 3rd or more battery has me wondering whether perhaps mine is living on borrowed time...

Any other '05 bikes out there still on the original battery?