Factory Heated Grips and G2 Throttle cam

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just finished installing factory heated grips on my 07 FJR. The install instructions were very poor but I got through it. After I rode the bike I decided the heated grips were wonderful but I really miss the G2 Throttle cam I had installed before. (the heated grips came with a plastic throttle cam that I now realize is not as good as the G2). I tried to get the grip to release off the plastic throttle cam it came with by using an air gun, but was not successful as it seemed I would damage the heating element if I was not careful.

A few questions:

Has anyone used a G2 with the OEM Yamaha kit for heated grips, will it work? If so, how did you get the grips off without damaging the heating element in the grip?

Any help would be much appreciated.

TC

:huh:

I have an '07A Canadian FJR that came with heated grips as standard OEM equipment. When I
installed the G2 throttle tube, I removed the grips with an alternating combination of compressed air,
soapy water and a thin screwdriver that I inserted between the stock throttle tube and the grips to gently
pry the grips away. The heating elements are embedded in the grip rubber so as long as you take your time
and don't use too much force on the screwdriver, you shouldn't have any problem.

You might find this link to WebBikeWorld helpful:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/throttle-cam/

Good luck.

I have an '07AE that came standard with heated grips.... I used a long slim screw driver and WD40 and got the grip off without damaging anything..

Ride safe... Hamie

Same here. '06 AE and I installed the G2 with no problem. Try using a needle tip on the air line, like the kind of thing you use to blow up basketballs and footballs. The needle will allow you to get farther up the grip to release it.

A syringe is great for getting the soapy water between the grip and the tube, then move the screw driver around to let the soapy water coat the entire surface. You can use a syringe without a needle if you already have a screw driver wedged under the grip. That's how I got the left-hand grip off the bike when installing my heated grips yesterday (I don't have the compressed air option available).

I think you can get syringes at any pharmacy, but I'm not really sure. My wife is a wildlife rehabilitator, so she always has a variety of syringes for feeding baby animals and giving injections to dehydrated animals.

07' AE.

I just wraped a towel around the grip until it was about 1/2 inch thick.

Then I gently CRUSHED the plastic tube with a pair of Channel Lock Pliers.

No damage at all to the inside of the grip and they still heat up just like before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long skinny screw driver and WD-40 with the tube thing you get when the can is new and you always lose. The trick to getting them back on was hair spray used liberally. I used some tie wraps (zip ties?) (maybe 3) on the tube itself and lubed it all up with hairspray and she slid right on and I was able to tweak it to the correct spot, put the tie wraps out and allowed it to dry.

I tried the compressed air with the special long and skinny things to inject air and it didn't work for me.

As other have noted the heating element is in the grip and not as fragile as one would think.

I have the 07AE with factory grips.

Art

just wanted to say thanks fer the info in this thread. I was wrassling it around and just beginning a slow steady stream of cuss words when I thought to search this topic. An old bottle of window tint soap came blazing through out of the back of the cabinet to save the day afterwards!!!

I followed a post I saw earlier to finally get it off - vice grips and a towel. Crunch and munch and it came right off, no harm done to the grip.

Dan

Does anyone know who has the best price on the factory heated grips for the gen II bikes?
You'll have to shop around a little to ensure lowest price, but I've found Zanottimotor to have the lowest prices for most items. You'll need to go to another site (like ronayers) to get the Yamaha part number before going to Zanotti.

Check THIS THREAD for a list of low cost parts sources.