Hopefully a little question - how do I change a marker/turn signal bulb on my '04 gen I

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus
Reaction score
I have a right side burned out marker filament on my '04 and can't for the life of me figure out how to get to and remove the bulb and replace

I pray I don't have to take the bike apart to fix it. I'm heading for Eglin Air Force Base and Crestview, Florida (225 miles one way for me) on Friday for a PGR mission for a KIA soldier (Afganistan). Leaving 0115 in the dark of night and really want working marker lights if possible. I have the replacement bulb in hand.

My home PC has a crashed hard drive and I'm borrowing a laptop and logged in using dial up - big time PC and search challenged

I'll owe somebody a local seafood meal or can ship some boiled shrimp or crawfish to your home or work

Thanx much

Mike in Nawlins'

Changing the bulb requires taking off the lower fairing piece. You might be able to remove the lower retaining screws and flex it open enough to reach the bulb socket from the rear (by where your knees are in the riding position).

There is no "easy" way......

I have not done it but have seen it...do the work to

take off the "triangle" below the radiator and the

screw along the bottom of the fairing under the bike

and you'll be able to flex and see the socket. Again

I have not done it but it seemed within reach.

I'll owe somebody a local seafood meal or can ship some boiled shrimp or crawfish to your home or workThanx much

Mike in Nawlins'
I wish I had time. I'd ride down an change it for ya... I love Cajun food. :good:

Goin by a bad memory, I think all ya need is a phillips screwdriver and maybe a flashlight to help see up under the fairing...

OK, whew, got to the bad bulb and removed it.

Removed the slider, removed 7 hex screws holding on the fairing (don't forget the bottom outside screw at the lowest point of plastic bike) and 2 inside philips. Didn't need to remove the inner triangle below the radiator.

The bulb socket cam lock unscrews counter clockwise (lefty loosy) looking at it from inside or straddling the bike.

The Gen I bin o'facts steered me wrong as I purchased the indicated 1157 bulb at Autozone yesterday just before closing at 6pm, but its a medium (smaller than 1157) bulb with the flat bottom inserted into the bulb mount.

I took some pics and will post them up somewhere tomorrow after I hit Autozone for the proper bulb.

Best,

Mike in Nawlins'

Code:

Look in the bin o facts for the newer model year, I think the bulds are the same. I had the same problem on my '06. The bulb is NOT an 1157, I posted the right part number in the 06-08 bin o facts. Maybe you can get the right number added to the 03-05 fact sheet. It sure is fun to change it, isn't it.?

OK, whew, got to the bad bulb and removed it.
Removed the slider, removed 7 hex screws holding on the fairing (don't forget the bottom outside screw at the lowest point of plastic bike) and 2 inside philips. Didn't need to remove the inner triangle below the radiator.

The bulb socket cam lock unscrews counter clockwise (lefty loosy) looking at it from inside or straddling the bike.

The Gen I bin o'facts steered me wrong as I purchased the indicated 1157 bulb at Autozone yesterday just before closing at 6pm, but its a medium (smaller than 1157) bulb with the flat bottom inserted into the bulb mount.

I took some pics and will post them up somewhere tomorrow after I hit Autozone for the proper bulb.

Best,

Mike in Nawlins'

Code:
thanx much, all

finished & good to go

it was a 7443 bulb - medium size (smaller than 1157) and bayonet design

not a "standard" bulb like the bayonet sized same as 1157 available at a gas station convience store or drug store open 24/7/365

gotta go to an auto parts store and even the Philips, Sylvania, GE brands didn't have it; mine is a "Blazer" brand and only 1 choice available to me

pics posted in my flickr account - see my sig

Mike in Nawlins'