FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Checkswrecks

Reaction score
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):

YAMAHA / FJR1300 2006-2009

Source: ODI - NHTSA Recall website

Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA Mfr's Report Date: JAN 06, 2009

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V002000 EA08025

NHTSA Action Number: EA08025

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH

Potential Number of Units Affected: 9300

Summary:

YAMAHA IS RECALLING 9,300 MY 2006-2009 FJR1300 MOTORCYCLES. THE INTERNAL SWITCH WIRING COULD BECOME DISCONNECTED. IF THIS OCCURS ELECTRICAL CURRENT FLOW WILL BE STOPPED AND THE ENGINE COULD STALL.

Consequence:

IF THE ENGINE STALLS, THE OPERATOR MAY BE UNABLE TO START OR RESTART THE ENGINE INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE JANUARY 16, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-800-962-7926.

Notes:

CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Other Resources for this Recall

Technical Bulletin: Clicky here.

Abstract of the Technical Bulletin: Clicky here.

List of actual year/model VINs recalled: Clicky here.

Details of a partly failed switch and a new one including pics: here.

Letter from Yamaha to NHTSA about recall plans 1/6/2009: Clicky here.

Recall Letter Available to Dealers, page 10: Clicky here.

Canadian Applicability: Clicky here ayy.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, any justice/compensation for those that have replaced out of pocket indicated? And, of those replaced, how many were replaced with faulty components that will need to be replaced again? Will the Ravens be listening to Springsteen with smiles on their mugs? Will Skooter's Feej show up at WooFoo with a Tecumseh pulley and a rope in his tank bag? I require answers in these turbulent times.

Rad, he'll have a rope alright.....but only for asphyxiation purposes..........self induced.

Just got off the phone with my Dealer and no word on the recall. I ordered a set of PR2s ($299.99 mounted) and will have the switch replaced at the same time.

How can I afford to pay such a high price for rubber?

Got a JOB last night. :yahoo:

With the recall, you would think it would be safe to assume that a "new/revised" switch will be installed. :unsure:

Excellent !! I imagine that we can all expect to get a letter in the mail.

Should be interesting to see if it's just a "visual check and replace if necessary" or a wholesale swap out.

Just got off the phone with my Dealer and no word on the recall. I ordered a set of PR2s ($299.99 mounted) and will have the switch replaced at the same time.How can I afford to pay such a high price for rubber?

Got a JOB last night. :yahoo:

With the recall, you would think it would be safe to assume that a "new/revised" switch will be installed. :unsure:
Congrats on the sailing job Cap'n Bob. If the new switch is not different, then this "fix" is totally bogus. Also, hope that the dealer is qualified to do this recall work...but enough rain on this parade. Kudo's to Yamaha for admitting the problem and stepping up.

Just sad that this problem occurred when the previous years bikes performed with no ignition switch problem.

So, any justice/compensation for those that have replaced out of pocket indicated? And, of those replaced, how many were replaced with faulty components that will need to be replaced again? Will the Ravens be listening to Springsteen with smiles on their mugs? Will Skooter's Feej show up at WooFoo with a Tecumseh pulley and a rope in his tank bag? I require answers in these turbulent times.
You're stuck in a snow-bank anyway, so now you have something to ponder and spend your time on since the little Suzi's done. :p

Typically, recalls provide nothing for whatever happened before the recall began. IF IF IF Yam wants to give you something for a past problem or expense, be very surprised and grateful, because it's not required and totally a courtesy from them to you.

Bob - Congrats on the job. The Forum definitely was part of it, beginning with Barabus collating info to make it usable. The other big contributors to making this happen were all the folks who actually went to the SAFERCARS web-site and logged their failures. Without that actual hard data, NHTSA would have just seen this all as a bunch of whining and have done nothing. Writing letters of thanks to NHTSA for the unnamed people who worked this would be a courteous thing to do. Thanks to the Iggy and the other Forum Admins for coordination behind the scenes.

I understand that the recall is not for the complete production through all of the listed model years, so you'll need to have your dealer check your serial number. As for what the recall does technically (replace the switch with a new design, or add something like Brodie's relay), it is something that we will have to wait to see. My own guess - and that is all it's worth - is that this will be a heavier duty set of contacts in a repalcement switch, so shouldn't affect those with Brodie's relay (my guess).

A last thought is that this just hit the NHTSA web-site this morning at something like 04:30 am. Your dealer hasn't heard of it yet, so if you plan to call your dealer you'll need to have some patience. Refer to the recall number (above), and then they will have to call Mama Yama HQ in Covina before getting back to you. Do NOT expect your dealer to open today knowing all about this and I'm going to guess (again my own guess, but a bit educated) that it will be a little while before the replacement parts are readily available.

Bob

It will be interesting to see how Yamaha wants to handle the key issue. Perhaps The Fix will have the dealer drill out the security screws, disassemble the ignition switch and only install new switch guts.

As long as this involves redesigned parts this is great news.

Some further info from NHTSA on the numbers they have from their investigation, and they cite the forum. Nice work guys!

Recall Campaign 09V002000 has 1 Related Investigation(s)

NHTSA Action Number: EA08025

Vehicle Make / Model:

Model Year(s):

YAMAHA / FJR13

YAMAHA / FJR1300A

YAMAHA / FJR1300AE

Manufacturer:

YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA

Component:

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH

Date Investigation Opened:

November 21, 2008

Date Investigation Closed:

January 9, 2009

Summary:

ODI IS AWARE OF AT LEAST 45 ALLEGATIONS OF FJR1300 ENGINE STALLING WHILE UNDERWAY DUE TO AN IGNITION SWITCH FAILURE. IN SOME INSTANCES, CYCLING THE SWITCH WILL ALLOW RE-START. FJRFORUM.COM HAS NUMEROUS THREADS ALLEGING THE SAME ISSUE. SHORTLY AFTER OPENING THIS EA, AND BEFORE RECEIVING A RELATED INFORMATION REQUEST FROM US, YAMAHA DECIDED TO CONDUCT A SAFETY RECALL (09V-002) TO INSTALL NEW IGNITION SWITCHES IN ALL MY 2006-8 AND EARLY MY 2009 FJR1300 MOTORCYCLES. WITH THAT DECISION, THIS INVESTIGATION IS CLOSED.

Sounds like a better design switch ? Doesn't seem to address problem if same switch is used for replacement, I'm already on my third switch. ...

Yeah, that was my thought. I wonder what their root cause finding was and what have they changed? Seems like it would be dumb to do an expensive recall and not have a confirmed fix. The NHTSA quote above says "install new switch" not "new design switch". I also wonder why they included the 2008's?

Yeah, that was my thought. I wonder what their root cause finding was and what have they changed? Seems like it would be dumb to do an expensive recall and not have a confirmed fix.
I hope Brody has a patent pending on his relay harness ;) It would be something to see that Yamaha's fix is actually a Brody relay.

It will be interesting to see how Yamaha wants to handle the key issue. Perhaps The Fix™ will have the dealer drill out the security screws, disassemble the ignition switch and only install new switch guts.
Exactly, I suspect they'll handle it about as gracefully as they did with the dash cluster change and the mileage reset.

"Here's your new switch, oh and by the way, your ignition no longer matches your tank, seat, or luggage locks. We're going to put this sticker on the dash to remind you of that fact so you don't leave home with only one key".

I'm going to let someone else go first. :) I'm totally satisfied with the Brodie work-around that is now installed on my bike.

I can't of hand see how a replacement switch design would be much different without something like the Brodie relay loom being included.

I also hope they allow the people (who want to do the swap themselves) do it. I would hate to have some butcher messing around with my bike for something like an IS.

Does anyone have a phone # from Yamaha? I have a US model and live in Europe now, so I need to organize to get the part, plus authorization from Yamaha for a dealer here to install the new ignition switch...

Alfred

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I am going to be positive and believe that Yamaha is now, finally, proceeding with an 'official' solution to this problem.

Kudos to everyone involved.

Interesting that they included 08 and 09 FJRs. There has not been a singe reported failure with the 08s. I thought they already fixed it. Patience will be difficult, but all the speculating in the world isn't going to help. It WILL be interesting to see what they do for a fix.

Regardless...................

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

:yahoo:

Latest posts